Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 08-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
llewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariks_Dragon View Post
You need to be wearing your costume only on the day of the contest. With Comic Con if your caught wearing your costume any other day but the contest day your disqualified. Make sure you read the rules.
Really interessing to know! In France, i think that this rule don't exist in any con'. We are allowed to wear our costume an other day of the contest and before the competition too. Some of cosplayers do it, some others don't.

I love wearing costume, that's why i wear my cosplay the day of the contest (however, if i have something whose can easily get messed up (some weapons for example), i don't wear it).

Last edited by llewell : 08-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.
llewell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #17
Yet Another
Forever Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariks_Dragon View Post
You need to be wearing your costume only on the day of the contest. With Comic Con if your caught wearing your costume any other day but the contest day your disqualified. Make sure you read the rules.
Can I assume that's for SD Comic Con? Because my own Comic Con (Denver) actually has no limits whatsoever; most people attending are typical comic book nerds, and the contest entrees are typical cosplayers or 501st/Rebel Legion types, with the occasional fork finger Wolverine who they let in happily. Everyone mostly comes on Saturday, and Saturday only- not much point for there to be such types of disqualification.

Skyrim Casual: 30 % Done!
Kaylee Frye (Firefly): 40% Done!
Jem Carstairs, Oswin Oswald, Magnus Bane, Pikachu, Trainer White: Done!
Yet Another is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #18
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

While it can be nice to save your costume as a "surprise", I have found that it's also really cool having the support from people in the audience who recognize you from wandering around the con. And having the chance to get photos beforehand is also really great. I just usually also factor in a little time before the con to touch everything up before going onstage.

But I also suppose I don't make anything that can't also be worn in the hallways, which is definitely a factor in how I do things. My costumes usually have a lot of detail that can be best appreciated up close, so that's how I prefer to share them.
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
maskedrose

At NYCC, back with the Masquerade... you were only allowed to wear the costume during the event.
maskedrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
Amanita

That rule would drive me nuts. So I spend hundreds of hours and a crapton of money on the costume, but I`m only allowed to wear it for a few minutes on stage? Just WHAT is the rationale for this rule? Are they enforcing the whole surprise thing? What about wearing the costume afterward?
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I think that most competitions that don't allow wearing the stage costume in the halls before you compete are just trying to keep the 'wow' surprise factor for the show. You may agree or disagree with it. *shrug* I also think part of it stems out of the fact that a lot of older sci-fi cons would get really huge and elaborate costumes for the stage, so that would make sense.

Wearing the costume after the show is totally fine, and in most cases I've seen there's actually a big photo scrum after the show. And of course you're free to wear it the next day, or at other conventions in the halls if you like.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

www.costumecon32.com

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

And, in addition, I think it's more likely (or at least not surprising) that most comic and gaming cons would have that rule, since it's an outgrowth from WorldCon and other sci-fi cons, as opposed to anime cons who are often run by cosplay enthusiasts who have never been to another genre con prior to being given the position of cosplay head. ANYway.

Yeah, it's not that you never get a chance to show off your hard work. Quite the contrary. It works like this: I slave on the costume, jealously guarding its secrets so that the audience and the judges can be wowed on stage in its shining moment of debut. I put it on only for judging and stage that first time. When the masquerade is over, I go pose for photos. Then, especially if I've won awards, the costume is now free to be reworn, shown, and loved at every convention for years afterward. I've only ever re-competed twice, but even then I saved it for the masquerade and didn't retire it to the halls until after it had its fair time in the competition spotlight.

Hell, I still break Ferid out as often as I can, I worked really hard on that costume and it is actually comfortable to wear in the halls, aside from the platform boots. So it's not that a single masquerade is ever the ONLY chance to wear a costume you worked hard on. It's merely the first. Honestly, as long as there isn't a rule at a particular con, then it IS up to personal choice, but I like to challenge people to just try it once and see if it's more appealing to them personally. If you get no mileage out of the surprise, then by all means, go back to wearing it all day.

I will say this, though, from a judge's standpoint. While "surprise" isn't one of the things we judge on, it is actually advantageous to approach the judges with a costume that they haven't seen yet that weekend. Why? Well, if by some chance the judges are also con attendees, they've been walking around the con just like you and have seen your costume. That means there's a chance - small or large - that the judges have mentally pre-assessed your costume. It's hard for people who regularly judge to turn that part of their critical brain off, it just happens. And it's really subjective, so there's nothing you can really do to prevent it aside from simply keeping the secret until the last minute. A good judge will still be able to fairly assess a costume despite having seen it already (since they may not have gotten up-close to see details yet), and a super-good judge can even prevent themselves from being disappointed that the costume is one they've already seen passing back and forth for two days. But any competitor can't guarantee that the judges are good or super-good and unbiased and able to put aside that feeling that they already know everything about this costume. If you have crappy judges who sway to their bias, or judges who just sit behind a table without getting up to inspect your craftsmanship, you're taking a gamble on whether their pre-conceived impressions of your costume are affecting their judgment.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #23
Access

Not an uncommon rule at sci-fi cons. Some might not have the explicit rule, but frown upon it in general. Just check before or ask around if you have any doubts.

Some local people tell me that the San Diego Comic-con still has that rule, but others say they don't care anymore.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
Amanita

My local con says nothing about it- Quite a few of us contest entrants wore our costumes around all weekend with no worries. Some chose to save their gear for the contest, either because they wanted to surprise people, or because their costumes were not suited for walking the con halls in.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #25
Satine

I don't understand how anyone could mark a costume down for having seen it earlier. Mentally or in actuality. I see a good 10% of the costumes I judge on the days before the contest. I think it would be naive to think that I don't see them, but I do not judge until I get into the room. Partly because frankly I do enough judging on judging day and I'd like to just enjoy the work for what it is on any other day. It takes courage to enter a contest let alone then feel like the judge is on the prowl stalking your work the day before! So while I like the idea of protecting the contestants, it's frankly easier for me to just not judge on those other days!

While it is not perfect, it is the better option here. I'm not sure what the numbers are like elsewhere but cosplayers tend to attend the events here on multiple days- to basically get in as much cosplay as possible. Regular attendees who make up the bulk of the audience have day passes only. So they likely haven't seen the contestants.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
Viveeh
necrocarnival

I tend to wear my contest costume every day for the whole con, except if I want to wear a simpler cosplay for one day. I never even thought people 'saved' their costumes for the moment of the contest, that's something new to me. XD I think, if you have an awesome costume, people are going to be wowed by it no matter if they've already seen it before... And probably, even if you did wear it already, there's someone who didn't see it yet.

Having a rule to keep you from wearing that costume except for the contest... I hope that bullsh** isn't for real. That is the stupidest thing I've heard for a while. Makes no sense to me.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

It may not be something you're used to, but I hope you don't consider it bullshit. It's a viable rule, it doesn't harm a single contestant (or judge or audience member) or ruin their chances at winning anything. It may be an inconvenience if you only have one costume so far, but it has actually worked for many cons in the past so there's no reason to call it stupid.

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
Unread 09-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #28
Viveeh
necrocarnival

I just don't think it's fair for the con to decide what I wear and when if it's not against the law... If I just spent months working on my costume (and had no time to make another one) and they let me wear it for only the contest day, it's just going to make me attend the con on only one day. Their loss. I guess I was a bit harsh but it still seems pointless to me. What do they base that rule on? Just the fact that the judges may get used to seeing your costume around and it may decrease the 'wow' factor?

Last edited by Viveeh : 09-16-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
Enkai
Spiffy!

I typically don't wear my masq costumes before the day of the masquerade, but I will wear them for most of the day that day assuming I'm not last-minuting everything to an extreme extent. I know for certain I will wear the costume for some time beforehand for our next big masq event. The reason is that some of our costumes take so long to get into, that we want to have at least a few hours of good daylight to get photos from the con taken, because there's no guarantee we'll put them on the next day. This applies even more so if masquerade is held the last night of the con.

I will always bring combs, touch-up makeup, etc to refresh the look right before the event.

Most immediately-post-masq photos I see aren't that great, just because the lighting is horrible.

Next Events
Minna no Anime Halloween Party
Anime Los Angeles 2013
Animation on Display 2013
Enkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #30
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I don't think any con that actually makes it a rule is doing it to dictate what you wear when. They're merely trying to help the fairness issues with judging. As a judge, and a competitor both, I can attest that not all judges are perfectly fair people, and they may have essentially made up their mind about your costume before you even walk in front of them - and you might already be out an award.

It's all very subjective and most masquerades don't make it a rule anymore, more of a guideline, and the majority of times it is still up to personal taste. But if it's a rule, it's not meant out of spite. It's not so the con/masquerade/staff can control you. It's because that's their tradition. If it's a tradition that doesn't make you comfortable or feel like complying with the rule, then don't enter at that masquerade. People are free to enter where they want, and likewise not enter if they don't like the rules. I still encourage people who have never tried it before to give it a shot once, and see if they get a better response by saving their costume for the masquerade - and if they don't, then it's not like anyone was hurt in the process. It's just one masquerade, there will be plenty of others.