Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #31
Eigwayne

When I compete, I don't like to wear my competition outfit before craftsmanship judging. I'm too afraid of things getting broken or dirty. One year, a couple people in my group wanted to go to a photoshoot/meetup either Thursday or Friday night, and I was convinced they were going to ruin their stuff before judging (in my defense, it included the member of the group who was the most likely to spill or trip or otherwise have an accidental costume disaster, and she was wearing white). So I don't wear things before judging just to save myself the stress.

I've never encountered the "don't wear your competition outfit the rest of the con" rule, but I remember watching masquerades and just being floored when I saw some of the awesome stuff that came onstage for the first time. These tended to be the big, elaborate stuff that are totally impractical for daytime hallway wearing, though.

If you're competing onstage to show off the outfit, I think the revelation is important. If you're competing for a skit, the outfits often take a secondary place to the content of your presentation, and it seems more okay to wear them beforehand.

Unread 09-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #32
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

I don't like wearing my contest costumes in the halls before a contest myself, not because of any rule or guideline that says I should, but because oftentimes the costumes I intend for maquerades tend to be very elaborate things that are uncomfortable or even impossible to wear in a crowded area. It's as simple as that. I have less elaborate things to wear in the halls and that I don't mind spilling food on because they can be easily cleaned by throwing them in the wash. That is not always the case with my contest costumes so I'd rather not risk it.
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

For me it depends entirely on when my judging appointment is in the day (I do craftsmanship rather than skits). If my appointment isn't scheduled until the afternoon, then I wait to put my costume on until the last minute. If my appointment is in the morning, then I'll just wear the costume all day, since at that point its already been judged and I don't have to worry as much. I don't worry so much about the whole idea of the "big reveal" being when I walk across the stage; I have more fun walking the halls and seeing people's reactions there. I feel that if I was to wait until walking across the stage / after the masq when people are hurrying to grab food / get ready for the dance, I would miss out on a chance to talk to people who might be fans of the anime / game / artist that I was cosplaying from.

Upcoming Costumes
Alibaba - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
H/A Elsa - Frozen
Yunan - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Mephisto Pheles - Ao No Exorcist
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #34
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

For some competitions, like the World Cosplay Summit, you have to be debuting a new costume. You cannot have worn it to any other events before hand.
lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote