Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 08-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Inuki1

Lightbulb Modded Pokedex Prop

I'm cosplaying Youngster Joey. I've cosplayed Shigeru (Gary Oak) before. At some point or other I managed to score an Original 1998 Tiger Pokedex in perfect condition.

Should I leave it as is, or should I attempt to modify it more to look more like the Pokedex as seen in the show? I watched a few youtube videos where people had just coloured in the lights at the top and replaced the right-hand panel with duct-tape suggesting where the buttons should be instead of the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" image with Ash throwing out Pikachu.

If you guys think I should mod it to be more realistic, what modifications would I make to make it more accurate, and what materials should I use to make them?

I've considered the possibility of painting the lights at the top (which are all red right now), as well as the possibility of gluing in some kind of plastic or gem stone. Ideally I would put in LEDs and it would light up, but I think that might be kind of complex... especially for the largest dome part which is supposed to be light blue.

Would appreciate any help offered. I will probably use the Pokedex in future cosplays so I don't mind working on it in the long-term because right now it's only 7 days til the con I'm debuting Youngster Joey at.
Inuki1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
maggietron
I need stuff!

I would leave it. lol
maggietron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Alkazor

If I were going to mod it, I would remove the sticker (It looks like a sticker?) inside the case and paint the buttons at the top very carefully.

The logo on the front and the brand name on the bottom of the front make it look like a toy, but I don't really see anything that could be done about that, short of painting over it. If you have a steady enough hand, then I'd say go for it.

If you didwant to put in an LED, I would check a store like Radioshack for a blue clear-dome light that could fit there, and then cut the dome part off with an exacto knife or something... though if it were me personally I wouldn't want to risk it.
Alkazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

i used to have one exactly like that. i think as long as it looks right to you it should work.