Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
smoreface

Exercise mistakes

Can we have a thread about a few commonly made mistakes when working out?
I understand we all have different goals in mind but I figured we could have a general
"this is bad for this reason" topic. In no way am I a licensed in fitness in anyway, but lets try to help each other out here by correcting ourselves and others. Also, lets talk about common myths "Working out will make my boobs disappear!", the term 'toning', and etc.

1. People not doing their warm-up. You should warm up! You need to ready your muscles for the work out ahead. Gently warm them up by taking a walk, jump rope, or biking. It increases blood flow, delivery of nutrients, preps your heart (to avoid a sudden increase of blood pressure), and helps out those nerve to muscle paths, and a lot of other good things. Always warm up!

2. Lifting weights, Quality over Quantity- I've had this problem myself as did many of my work out partners. I often got this "I can do 4 reps of 100 while lifting this 10 lb dumb bell." Welll...so can a lot of people. This does not mean you are getting a quality work out. Your lifting should have some resistance because that's what it is- resistance training. More weights, less reps.

3. Stretching- Do this at the end of your workout, not before. It's more likely you may hurt yourself stretching a cold muscle.

Unread 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
neozero

I think the biggest mistake people make, or rather the biggest misconception, is to think you can tone one area of the body without adapting a workout routine overall.

Also, ONLY focusing on diet, or ONLY focusing on exercising. Having a simple plan of attack isn't as effective as diet, weight training, and cardio.

As for exercise I see the following no nos:

1. Bouncing barbells off your chest - This is very dangerous and can actually kill you. You run the risk off crushing your sternum. Barbells should be lowered approx 6 inches from your chest, or the distance of a rolled up towel.

2. Going too heavy and using improper form. - I see this alot on dumbells, squats, lat pulldowns, etc. Guys will put on massive weights to try and show off and then break thier form or use momentum to help them. It is dangerous for you and the people around you. Furthermore sometimes it defeats the purpose of exercising.

3. Neglecting muscle groups such as legs, stabilizer muscles, and abdominals - I know several guys that refuse to exercise their legs and I wonder why they are working out in the first place. Stabilizer muscles refers to the tiny muscles that don't really show much but are still important. An example would be the rotator cuffs or the inner thing muscles. You can exercise them individually but the best way is to do calisthenics, which a lot of people ignore. Finally, I see a lot of guys do abs, but only upper ab workouts. They need to focus on lower abs, obliques, and lowerback muscles as well. If you want to have a body that is useful for any physical activity these muscles are incredibly important as they connect your lower body to your upper body. This is why I've never advocated lifting belts. You should exercise in proportion to the strength of your lower back and not a belt as a crutch.
neozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
crimsonrazac

1)Either over or under training.

2)Not creating and or sticking to a plan.

3)Not sleeping enough.

I find these all effect performance negativity in any physical activities I do including climbing.
crimsonrazac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
ktcaines

Trying to work through the pain, I've been jogging more lately and I ignored the minor calf pain i felt during my jogs, and now I think I've torn something because I now feel the pain all the time in my calves instead of just when I'm jogging. ouch :'(
ktcaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #5
Drazhar

I'm just gonna throw "working out on an empty stomach" in here

Because it's bad for ya. On the same note however, do NOT work out right after eating either.

Eat, wait about an hour. Exercise hard!

That's what I've learned.
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

• A not so obvious one: if you're going for a run or walk, go to the bathroom before. The exercise will work it through your system and you may not have an available bathroom along the way.
  • Drink lots of water, but be careful not to over-hydrate while working out.
  • Don't workout so hard that you get sick. Then all kinds of bad things start happening.
  • If you are working with a partner, be aware of your and your partner's limits. You probably have different limits.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
smoreface

Afraid to build muscles ladies? Cardio before or after weights?

Don't be afraid to get off the tredmill to lift weights. Infact, you should only do your cardio work out after lifting weights. Why?
*You'll have energy to actually LIFT weights. If you run yourself ragged before- whats the point? You wont be working to your full potential (this does not include warming up, if your warm up is a brisk stroll on the tredmill keep at it, get your body warmed up!).
*You'll get a greater after burn affect.
*Most effective for weight loss

Also, a link to a few articles to help better explain my case for WHY lifting weights after cardio produces better results.

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/11/07/...after-weights/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek34.htm

A lot of women fear to use weights because they're afraid to look like this

Guess what? YOU WONT! I promise! You don't even have the testosterone levels to even get that big. Unless...you're taking supplements and your lady genetics produce more testosterone...which doesn't happen often and you'd know if this was you.
ANYWAY.

What lifting weights will do for YOU
*Faster metabolism
*Gain strength without bulk.
*Helps with weight loss
*Reduces stress

Seriously, this is a great way to get to a lean sexy physique.

Also, an article to help explain further

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girl...t-weights.html

Please correct me if I'm wrong here I'd really hate to give out bad advice.
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
neozero

+1 smoreface
neozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
smoreface

Thanks man!

Edited- Anything else I want to add, I will just put into my first post! (Hoping to avoid shameless self bumping.)

Last edited by smoreface : 09-11-2012 at 11:40 PM.
smoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Arti

A few that comes off the top of my head:

Don't sacrifice sleep for exercise. You're better off sleeping in than to lose an hour's worth of sleep for exercise.

The purpose of a workout is to maintain or improve strength. Keeping a log helps you keep track of your progression. This also helps you determine that any weight lost is mostly fat and not muscle. and any weight gained should correlate to any increase in strength.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
chupachan

Don't over train! Build up slowly in increments, no matter what type of exercise you do.
I injured my back from running too much a few years ago, and I am still paying the price for it ):
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #12
erika08

This thread really helps me a lot, Thanks for sharing info guys. At least now I can know what are wrong in doing exercise.
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
RainingEri

Something I was told was that you should always take breaks in between sets when weight lifting so you don't hurt yourself, but not to take too long because then your muscles will cool down and you won't make as much progress and could end up hurting yourself anyway. Lol exercise can be a lot more complicated than you initially give it credit for.

Edit: Nother mistake, forgetting you're allergic to things outside and not taking something before going for a run. My hands are so swollen I can't close them into fists. Just had a banana and am waiting for them to go down before going back out.

Last edited by RainingEri : 08-15-2012 at 12:48 PM.
RainingEri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Vicky.Bjorn

Nice topic!
Girls should really be taught to go a little easier on the cardio and to start lifting some weights. My arms and shoulders have taken such a nice shape since I started going to the gym, and well, the rest of my body too of course. I look 'toned' now

Here's some of my tips, although most of it has been posted already:

*Warm up. I do this using the elliptical for about 10 mins
*Drink enough, this will prevent muscle cramps afterwards
*Eat lots of protein, so you won't loose muscle mass, but gain it
*Do cardio exercise after weight lifting
*Don't lift weights 2 days in a row, unless you are training another muscle group each day
*Stretch when you are done. This wil prevent soreness and also make you more flexible

Last edited by Vicky.Bjorn : 08-24-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Vicky.Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #15
CloverCreeper

Thanks for all the good info!

I just started run/jog/walking five days a week to
get into shape. I'm preeeetty overweight.
My biggest mistake is too much to soon because
I like to push myself.

Another one is probably not eating enough food
when they exercise because they want to lose
weight super fast.
CloverCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote