Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Tarah-Rex

First Cosplay - Lilith/Borderlands

Hello all!

I'm fairly new here, but I've been working on a Cosplay as Lilith from Borderlands. These are the pictures so far, but it still needs a lot of tweaks.

I'm in the process of assembling the holster and modifying the wig a little bit. Unfortunately I have gotten stuck on the shin pads. I'm finding they keep twisting to the sides of my legs and I'm not sure how to keep them in place . The yellow sweater is waiting on some fake pockets, and the red/pink tank top is complete. The vest was made from an old denim jacket that I hit several times with brown and green dyes. The shoulder pad was made from craft foam, shaped with a heat gun. I attached leather piping to the edges, attached screen door mesh, then used biased tape along all the edges. I was hoping to engrave the belt buckle, but that option fell through and I ended up having to paint it instead. I sewed the ammo pouches out of basic vinyl leather material. I also couldn't find a pair of grey jeans with no back pockets, so I had to buy white and hit it with grey dye. I bought a pair of faux-suede brown wedge boots from ebay that are perfect *yay!* I made the quilted shooting pad from green faux-suede and added leather piping for style, lol. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, especially with the shin pads! The boots in general are still looking pretty rough.. I'm gonna be wearing it to PAX Prime in a few weeks (Sunday only *tear*). The temporary tattoo ink is on its way to me as we speak, and I need to think of a way to make a customized toy pistol and somehow get it across the border without hassle.

Sorry this was so long, and sorry for bombarding you all with pictures

You can check out all the pictures in my album, it's just easier that way

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...l =46c236f859
Tarah-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Tarah-Rex

Here are some of the pictures for anyone who can't view the link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosplay1.jpg (142.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cosplay10.jpg (97.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cosplay12.jpg (100.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cosplay4.jpg (135.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cosplay3.jpg (113.9 KB, 0 views)
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
BornThisWay8

It looks great!!
BornThisWay8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Lightane
a curious fool

For a first cosplay this is really good! You have the perfect face for Lilith

The only thing I can suggest that a lot of Borderlands cosplayers don't do, is to grunge up your cosplay. Make it look like you've been blasting skags all day haha.
Lightane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Nostrum
R4Hscal

Nice work! I'm impressed.
There's only two things that I'd really bother mentioning, and as is they're not huge things.
One is that her chaps have to different colours to them, the inside of the leg is a darker brown than the outer.
And the other is the straps on her inventory box don't need buckles. They're more lock-off buckles than anything, but on my one I didn't bother with buckles at all, and instead just step into the straps (which is a pain in the butt if I forget and put my boots on first..). That'll get rid of the excess strap at the front, too.

Loving the shin armour/boots, what material did you use?
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightane View Post
For a first cosplay this is really good! You have the perfect face for Lilith

The only thing I can suggest that a lot of Borderlands cosplayers don't do, is to grunge up your cosplay. Make it look like you've been blasting skags all day haha.
Awe, thanks <3 I actually got the idea to do this because I was one of the finalists for gearboxes "Live action Lilith" casting. Before that I never even thought of doing Cosplay, now I'm kind of obsessed with it hahaha!

Once it's all together and done I'm gonna use my dremmel Tool and hit all the edges with sandpaper to roughen them, then I'm gonna spray random areas with various dust, sand and mud coloured spray paint and use some black paint to make it look like there are greas stains, etc. I'm really looking forward to that part
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Lightane
a curious fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarah-Rex View Post
Awe, thanks <3 I actually got the idea to do this because I was one of the finalists for gearboxes "Live action Lilith" casting. Before that I never even thought of doing Cosplay, now I'm kind of obsessed with it hahaha!

Once it's all together and done I'm gonna use my dremmel Tool and hit all the edges with sandpaper to roughen them, then I'm gonna spray random areas with various dust, sand and mud coloured spray paint and use some black paint to make it look like there are greas stains, etc. I'm really looking forward to that part
Sounds like a good plan! Good luck!
Lightane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Nice work! I'm impressed.
There's only two things that I'd really bother mentioning, and as is they're not huge things.
One is that her chaps have to different colours to them, the inside of the leg is a darker brown than the outer.
And the other is the straps on her inventory box don't need buckles. They're more lock-off buckles than anything, but on my one I didn't bother with buckles at all, and instead just step into the straps (which is a pain in the butt if I forget and put my boots on first..). That'll get rid of the excess strap at the front, too.

Loving the shin armour/boots, what material did you use?
Thanks so much And yeah, I wasn't too sure if the insides of the legs were darker or not. I analyzed TONNS of pictures and even took in game screenshots and figured it might have just been shadows, but couldn't come to a definite conclusion, so I settled for one solid colour. I am also working on rigging the holster and switching to metal hooks and looping the straps around them, but we'll see what happens. I'm running out of time.

For the shin pads, I actually just used craft foam and heat formed them to the shape of my legs, then used cheesecloth and Mod Modge on the back to keep them stiff. I just took a bunch of rocks and beat the crap out of the front of them to make dents and scratches, then sealed them with 2 coats of Mod Podge, primed, and used a galvanized metal spray paint. I enhanced all the scratches and dents with watered down black acrylic paint, then used various dirt coloured spray paints to make them look muddy. I've got to redo the straps though because they're pulling the shin pads to the outer sides of my legs. Not sure how to fix that
Unread 08-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
nathancarter
See My Etchings.

You might make some very diluted "Monster Mud" (drywall mud/spackle mixed with paint) that's heavily infused with dirt, sand, and debris; and fling it on to make mud/dirt/sand splatters that have a bit more texture than simple paint.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Tarah-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
You might make some very diluted "Monster Mud" (drywall mud/spackle mixed with paint) that's heavily infused with dirt, sand, and debris; and fling it on to make mud/dirt/sand splatters that have a bit more texture than simple paint.
OOH! I like that idea! You rock!
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
nathancarter
See My Etchings.

Well, I can't take credit for the idea - I got the Monster Mud idea from HalloweenForum.com, and just put it to my first use on my Zombie Stig helmet. It worked a charm.

I made it a little wetter than you otherwise would for general prop construction, adding some water to dilute it so it would splatter nicely when I flung it at the helmet from a few feet away.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathancarter/7784554648/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathancarter/7784555170/

Here's my full build thread.
http://cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=299805
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Tarah-Rex

That. Is. AWESOME!
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
Nostrum
R4Hscal

I think you can hold off changing the inventory box straps 'til last, if you have time. Mine aren't accurate, I've used swivel rings that are used for attaching a sling to rifles.
I got so fed up with how many variations there are of Lilith pictures that I sat down and took a billion in-game shots in different lighting. Lots of the promo pics aren't accurate to the in-game Lilith, so I gave up on trusting the internet.

I can take a pic of my boots if you'd like to see the straps I used. Outside of the boot and inside shots might help you.
I used three small pop rivets on the inside edge of the darker [leather] part that covers the arch, and then a small pop rivet on each of the extending, um.. bits. On the outside of the foot.
The strap that winds around I have attached with chicago screws, though I don't have a screw in the middle go-round of the strap, just one at the top and bottom. They unscrew easily, and actually go from inside the boot, through the strap, and then through the armour before bolting closed. That way I can undo the screw, and unwrap the strap, slip my foot in or out, and then wrap it up tightly again.

As far as weathering (my favourite part of making a costume, eee!) I just used acrylic paint thinned down very slightly. I used a sandy colour, a tan/fawn colour (called mud puddle, heh), and a richer red-brown but only sparingly. You don't need too dark a colour to get good weathering.
Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Tarah-Rex

So just as an update, I have started modifying the straps on the holster, thanks to Nostrums advice They still aren't technically "correct" but they look a lot more accurate so far. I'm hoping to post a picture of the whole costume mostly all together this weekend, but I'll have to wait and see where the shin pads are at. Let me know what you think of the changes so far to the holster straps Also! I've painted up the holster itself so make it look damaged/used, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holster strap.jpg (174.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg holster strap1.jpg (150.9 KB, 0 views)
Unread 08-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
nathancarter
See My Etchings.

Anything that lights up is OK in my book.