Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
StarkRed26

Please Check Dvd for Stratches

I know this is way WAY off topic but it eventually connects to cosplay so bear with me.

Last Comic Con I filmed a good deal of footage from walking around NYC before, to getting ready in costume, to walking around the hall, to the costume contest, etc. All that footage has been uploaded to my Mac computer and I'm trying to burn it to a DVD so that I can send it to my Aunt in California. (She took me and my sister to San diego comic Con a few years back so we thought it'd be nice to send her a movie of what NYCC is like).

Anyway, I've tried 3 different times to burn this footage to dvd and all 3 result in the same screen with 'Please Check Disc for Stratches'. And these DVD aren't new but all of them are clean and as close to brand new as you can get. Plus I've burned DVDs before using these DVDs and they worked fine.

And all 3 methods, I did check the project info button and all 3 times it said that there was still room left on the dvd so it can't be that the dvd is overfilled. And all 3 times, I hit the 'preview' button to check and all 3 played all the way through on the computer. Also, all 3 times I was doing nothing on the computer. I just closed everything else but iDVD so it could focus on that and nothing else.

Method 1 - Both parts burned to DVD using iDVD. Both in format AVI.
Method 2 - Both parts burned to DVD using iDVD but using the 1-Step Movie Maker method in iDVD. Both parts still in AVI format.
Method 3 - Both parts converted to MOV format and burned using iDVD.

None were successful and it's getting rather frustrating now. I've cleaned our DVD player several times now using a dvd cleaner. And we've watched 2 other movies on the dvd player so it can't be that.

I also tried watching it up on my xbox 360 but the disc won't even register. The tray closes, it says loading on the menu, and then it goes to 'open tray'. As if the dvd isn't even there.

I'm so frustrated and confused. Burning used to be so simple and now I'm just...@_@

update: I just tried playing the dvd on my Mac computer and after 2 minutes of the dvd 'whirring and clicking' the dvd player program finally popped up, was black for another 2 minutes and then popped up with this error message 'The DVD player has encountered an error that it cannot recover from.' 0_0 omg, I'm so confused right now...

Last edited by StarkRed26 : 08-13-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forgot
StarkRed26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Sounds like it's time for a refreshing spin on the reinstall-and-update-drivers-o-tron.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Kildread
I can fix it!

If the DVD doesn't even read from your desktop, it sounds like a bad burn. The disc itself might be faulty. It burned fine, but the disc had irregularities that make it unreadable (I've had 5 or so disc in a row from a DVD batch taht were that way, I could physically see on the disc the problem, it looked like scratches *under* the plastic layer :/)

If it's not the discs and it'S always doing that (Even if you try to burn other stuff), it's the burner that might be the problem... which may be hardware or software (drivers).

Never used a Mac to burn discs though...
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote