Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Cosplay Suggestions

Unread 08-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
The Cape

A costume for someone who doesn't like anime?

Do you have any ideas for a costume for me? I'm not into anime, like nearly everyone else on this thread is.

I was going to start a foam Iron Man costume, but now I'm thinking that I'm in over my head. (especially because I've never made a costume before)

Some of my interests are superheroes (Spidey, Avengers, Batman) and videogames (Uncharted, inFAMOUS, Call of Duty, GTA).

Let me know what you think I should be! Who ever has the best idea will win a prize
The Cape is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
SuperiorSamaaX3

Well this all depends on body type and what you personally like, i can list a billion costumes to wear, but what's your preferences, and can you upload a picture of yourself here?
Yoko ((Katsucon 2013)) 0%
Tia Halibel ((Otakon 2013)) 10%
Kazeshini ((Otakon 2013)) 30%

SuperiorSamaaX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

There are plenty of video game cosplayers here, and quite a few live action cosplayers as well.

You mentioned Iron Man, which might indeed be a little complicated for a first-timer-- but what about another superhero?
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
protonmitsu

My method for generating cosplay ideas:
step 1: watch a new movie/TV show/ etc.
step 2: "Oooh, I like that character!"
step 3: pick favorite outfit for character

Going off of the things you listed, and the fact that you're new at this, two ideas jump out at me. First, that you can still be Iron Man, just go with the arc-reactor-glowing-through-the-shirt version until you're more confident in your crafting abilities; you could also make the wrist-thingies he uses at the end of The Avengers for extra awesomeness. Plus, you can reuse the arc reactor if and when you do make the suit. Second, that pretty much everything Nathan Drake wears can probably be found ready-made, so if your sewing skills are still developing that won't be a problem.
protonmitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
kitty-kibbles

I'd just look through some of the characters you're interested in, pick one that you think is do-able. Or if you have a convention in mind check out what kind of events/gatherings are going on and see if there's anything you're interested in. Once you make a decision start a progress thread on here or tumblr where you can update people on what's going on and get inspiration. It really helps to have people following your progress and giving you support.
kitty-kibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Mightyenapup

Protoman. Do it.
Mightyenapup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I was going to say Nathan Drake myself. His outfit can easily be put together with things you find in stores and with a little creativity. He's a pretty cool character that would be pretty easy for a first costume.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
The Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I was going to say Nathan Drake myself. His outfit can easily be put together with things you find in stores and with a little creativity. He's a pretty cool character that would be pretty easy for a first costume.
I would do Nate, but he isn't very recognizable. And I HATE hearing the question "Who are you supposed to be?"
Unread 08-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Geddyn

I'm like you, Cape. I'm not into anime at all and I'm a newcomer when it comes to creating costumes.

Eventually I'm planning to do a Gordon Freeman HEV suit or Dr. Doom, but for now I'm sticking with simpler costumes in order to gradually learn the craft. If I tried either of those costumes right now, I'd probably end up getting frustrated and would just give up. My current to-do list includes a Stargate Off-World uniform, a Galen Marek inspired Jedi costume and Marvel's The Hood.

There's nothing wrong with costumes that utilize more standard clothing, such as Nathan Drake. The trick is to find something about the character that you can accentuate in order to make them recognizable. The Hood is fairly generic looking until you factor in his red cloak with the ornate clasps.

I would also suggest that, once you figure out what you want to work towards (an Iron Man suit, for example), you try to pick characters that have something visually similar to your goal. In your case, picking a character that wears a bit of armor would allow you to learn the craft without it becoming overwhelming. Your namesake could work in this regard, as The Cape has an armored chest piece to augment the rest of his costume.
Geddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
ladysuki1289

Why not Nate Drake? I think he's a pretty darn prominent character. Every person at the con with a PS3 will know who you are instantly.

Other ideas include:

Ezio Auditore
Master Chief
Bomberman (haha, that'd be awesome really)
Megaman
Protoman
Mario
Luigi
Wario

Just about any video game character. If you want to go for something recognizable, go to Amazon and look at the top 10 popular games or something. But...I think Nate Drake would be easier than most others and pretty darn awesome, IMO.
Unread 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
The Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakRavR View Post
Well this all depends on body type and what you personally like, i can list a billion costumes to wear, but what's your preferences, and can you upload a picture of yourself here?
Here ya go! Finally got around to taking a picture
Unread 11-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
woahwham

at the last comicon I went to there was a super amazing ironman cosplay that just the arc- reactor glowing under a tank like the person above said, but he also made just an ironman sleeve like you see in the first movie when he is creating the suit. That cosplayer had a long line of people just to take a picture with him... it was that cool
woahwham is offline   Reply With Quote