Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Share your good/funny/positive con memories

We've had a few of the negative con and cosplay experience threads in the last while. So let's all post our positive experiences while at conventions or in cosplay at any other event. We do have to acknowledge that there are rude, elitist, negative people out there, but we shouldn't forget the good things.

I'll start with a few of my own.

The first time I returned to Anime North after a 2 year hiatus was 2005. Anime had just begun gaining popularity in Canada, and the con had moved to the TCC and Doubletree to accommodate the anticipated increased attendance. My friend's mom drove us there on Saturday morning, and as we were pulling up outside the TCC, this girl in an amazing Cloud Strife cosplay was gearing up on the lawn. My friend's jaw dropped and she blurted out "THERE ARE HOT COSPLAYERS NOW? WHAT?!" (If anyone remembers, AN back in the day used to be attended by a lot of the "stereotypical" male otaku)

I started wearing Lolita fashion in 2006/2007-ish because I had seen some pictures online. I volunteered at AN2006 to run the Lolita Tea Party on Sunday afternoon and met 2 of my friends when they came up to me to ask me to give a shoutout to the GTA Lolita LiveJournal community they had started together. We held our very first meetup in June 2007 (I think) and had about 20 local Lolitas come out. I met some awesome friends, who I'm still friends with today, and had a great time just parading up Spadina in our dresses and holding impromptu photoshoots.

And lastly, last year at AN2011 I debuted my Lacus Clyne cosplay. I was hanging out with some friends (a small Mortal Kombat group) when this random guy came up to us and asked for a picture. He held out an empty can of Cherry Coke and told us to pretend like we were fighting over it. (Explanation: It's difficult to find Cherry Coke in Canada. The flavour was discontinued for a while and was unavailable unless you bought it from across the border. I have no idea why because everyone I talk to loves it. You can find it in some convenience stores now, but not grocery stores) We all posed and then nearly fell over laughing cause it was such a weird photo request. It seems they were going around doing it to everyone like a photo theme or something.

As you can see, although Anime North does get a lot of really annoying, inconsiderate, or stinky people, I have a lot of good memories there anyway.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 08-17-2012 at 12:59 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Those all sounds hilarious, especially the Cherry Coke one! XD

I have a couple of memories to share as well.~

At Aki Con '11, me and my friend were heading back to the hotel room, up on the 10th floor, to change for the masquerade ball. As we walk in, there's this guy standing there with a boombox on his shoulder. In a thick Russian accent, he says "Welcome to Club Elevator, what type of music do you like?" I was a bit taken aback, but my friend was giggling and blurted out "Justin Bieber!". So for 10 floors, we listened to "Baby" while some guy rambled on in a Russian accent. It was weird, but very comical. And don't worry, there was nobody else in the elevator so we weren't bugging anyone. xD

Also at Aki Con '11, I was chatting it up with some friends while dressed and Mitsukuni Haninozuka. All of a sudden I hear someone yell behind me "Honey!" and I turn just as this guy picks me up. Normally I don't like my personal bubble to broken without consent, but he turned out to be really friendly so I let it slide. :P He even gave me a piggyback ride around the convention, which was a blast~ My friend just looks to her friend as says "Should we go after her?".

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

I'd say my best experience was at Anime North previous to this recent one... so 2011? For the first time ever, I had joined an actual photoshoot (Darkstalkers) that mostly comprised of people from my city (Not Toronto, so it was pretty neat)

I was terribly nervous and I also tend to get shy around people that I don't know very well at all, and having only met some of these folks in person once before, I really didn't know what to expect.

One of the girls, she was dressed as Felicia, and was very bubbly and friendly. I think that she saw how nervous I was and chatted with me while the others were having their own individual shots taken. I'm grateful for that because it helped me relax a little bit.

Finally I was able to laugh. Which, unfortunately, means that everyone heard me cackling (it's a thing that I'm a little self-conscious about because I apparently sound evil?) and the other girls took a liking to it.

So, yay, I wound up making new friends!

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Yay for Anime North! See, everyone knows there are lots of jerks running around there, especially because it's just a big convention, but there are lots of cool, nice people too.

Unread 08-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Kife
Local Velociraptor

Oh yay! I've got a lot of stories because I've been going to cons since I was like, 13, (and am now 20, good lord), but one of my most favorite stories is always going to be when I was... eighteen, I think, and our hotel ended up being fairly far away from the con center. And most of my friends had dispersed, and I'd been hanging out with a very nice Jareth(from Labyrinth) cosplayer. Because I was very nervous to walk back to my hotel extremely late at night alone, he offered to walk with me- and was completely in character the whole time.

So yeah, I felt like a pretty special princess, haha, especially when he bowed as I entered my hotel room. xD
  • Demyx(kh): 50%
  • Saix(kh): 25%
Kife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Otaku View Post
Those all sounds hilarious, especially the Cherry Coke one! XD

I have a couple of memories to share as well.~

At Aki Con '11, me and my friend were heading back to the hotel room, up on the 10th floor, to change for the masquerade ball. As we walk in, there's this guy standing there with a boombox on his shoulder. In a thick Russian accent, he says "Welcome to Club Elevator, what type of music do you like?" I was a bit taken aback, but my friend was giggling and blurted out "Justin Bieber!". So for 10 floors, we listened to "Baby" while some guy rambled on in a Russian accent. It was weird, but very comical. And don't worry, there was nobody else in the elevator so we weren't bugging anyone. xD

Also at Aki Con '11, I was chatting it up with some friends while dressed and Mitsukuni Haninozuka. All of a sudden I hear someone yell behind me "Honey!" and I turn just as this guy picks me up. Normally I don't like my personal bubble to broken without consent, but he turned out to be really friendly so I let it slide. :P He even gave me a piggyback ride around the convention, which was a blast~ My friend just looks to her friend as says "Should we go after her?".
LOL Was it a Pavel Chekov kind of Russian accent? Or was he really Russian?

Unread 08-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

At Sakura Con 2012, this was my FIRST con, so that makes this WAY more awesome for me, I was in my squall cosplay on sunday. There was a photographer walking around. He was from the Seattle Weekly newspaper. It's a newspaper that comes out once a week. So baring in mind this is my first con and the first time I wore my Squall cosplay outside, I GOT IN THE NEWSPAPER!! That made my day..It was at the end of the con though but it is something I will never forget.
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Meaier

This year I had my Madoka cosplay and was walking alone, going to fix my wig in a bathroom, When a big security guard with shaved head stopped me.

He: You there. Excuse me.
Me. (Stops, scared that I had done something wrong I did not know about.)
He: Can I take a picture?
I was so surprised!

Also a Madoka memory, so many wanted to touch my skirt! One of the people I has with during the weekend confessed that he had touched it several times during the day when I didn't notice. :P (For you that don't know, Madoka have a very puffy skirt so I did not always notice when it got touched..)
Meaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I have a lot of good moments at cons, but right now can't remember too many, but I shall recount the ones I can.

This year at A-kon when my friends and I were in our Panty, Stocking, and Garterbelt costumes and were heading for a private photo shoot, someone stopped us and told us we had just won A-kon because we looked so awesome. I thought that was pretty cool, especially since we actually had just been informed we won a Best Craftsmanship award in the Hall Cosplay Contest.

Also this year, but at Anime Blues Con (my hometown's new anime con), my friend and I were in the elevator, not even in our Panty and Stocking cosplay anymore, just street clothes, and a vendor that was on the elevator looked at us and goes "I remember you as the Panty and Stocking cosplayers from A-kon. You guys were awesome. We posted your picture on our site of all the great cosplay we saw at A-kon." I was just shocked he recognized us out of cosplay, especially since neither of us had on wigs or contacts or anything that would even closely signify we cosplay Panty and Stocking. So that was really awesome.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Mehdia, I completely share your 'positive experience' of being recognized.

Just a few weeks ago at Otakon, I was just getting my stuff together near registration, and waiting for my friends to get their badges on as well. I walked maybe thirty steps when a girl stopped me to ask for my photo, and then asked: "Are you StarsCASSiOPEiA?"

I just kind of stood there and gawked for a minute before being able to answer with a "yes", at which point she introduced herself.

Turns out she was a friend of mine from DA-- and I'm sure you can guess what came next!

That actually happened half a dozen times at con, and every time was just as great as the prior one. Somebody even cited recognizing the cosplay from my avatar here on CosCom, which totally made me blush! (Guess it was a good thing I was covered in white makeup, hahaha. <3)
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

Fan Expo Canada (FXC) 2005
- First time ever at a con and was completely surprised by the awesome cosplay. Also took (lousy) pics with Tim Russ (Tuvok from Star Trek Voyager) and Kenny Baker (R2-D2 from Star Wars)

FXC 2006:
- Pic with wrestler "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and bought my first sword to my collection, Squall's Revolver gunblade from Final Fantasy VIII.

FXC 2008:
- Added the Master Sword from the Legend of Zelda series to my collection.

FXC 2010:
- Despite being booked at a much smaller venue which caused insanely long lines and the fire marshal to step in to limit the number of people in the building due to fire hazard, it was my second time cosplaying and the first time a lot of people recognized who I was (Terry Bogard from the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters series).

FXC 2011:
- Getting autographs and pics with voice actor Vic Mignogna, who immediately recognized that I was cosplaying as Persona 3's Junpei Iori in his summer school uniform, which looks like regular clothing. That told me how much he knows all of his characters.
- Just spending time with the Doctor Who cosplayers, which lead to being featured on SPACE and the CBC, and to the formation of the Doctor Who Society of Canada.

Anime North 2012:
- Despite the bad start, I had a really fun time with the Atlus and Doctor Who photoshoots, the Love Cosplay mag photoshoot and the Persona 4 panel that ended that con.
- Added Kadaj's Souba double bladed katana to my collection.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Any great con experience for me is when people come up to me to take my photo and then afterwards they compliment me ~

Like, for instance, a girl at AX asked me for a photo and she told me that I was the best Kaito cosplay she's seen at the whole con and that really meant a lot to me because there were a crap ton of Kaito cosplayers this year lolz
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Yay finally a positive thread!

And oh man so many fun experiences. >.< but just a few...
1. Playing cosplay chess at my first con, Anime Blast Chattanooga
2. Chasing a God Tier John around at Omnicon
3. Winning first place in the kids' division at previously stated con
4. Random dancing at Nashville Anime Day
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #14
ecuadorianeyezz
I.M. the Art of the Dress

8D

At AWA 2007, I was LuLu from Final Fantasy X. And I ran into a Wakka and a Tidus, and said a line from the introduction of LuLu from the game (I cannot remember for the life of me what it was!) and we reeenacted the WHOLE scene, word-for-word!!!! @____@ It was amazing, and when we were done, we got an applause from the on-lookers. XD BEST MOMENT EVA!

NEXT CON
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2014 (September 26-28)

PLANNED COSPLAYS
MLP:FiM Rainbow Dash: 100% complete
PaSwG School Uniform Stocking: 85% complete
Crossover Cosplay-ORG XIII Stocking (PaSwG/KH): 60% complete
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Sailor Mars: 65% complete
ecuadorianeyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
ghosgreen

Hmm there was that one year I made a companion cube from portal and was on a mission to try and get as many different pictures with as many different cosplayers as I could holding and or interacting with it. Hmm some of the memorable ones were the Tonberry stabbing it, Link, Shadow Link and Navi fighting over it, Scorpian and Sub Zero fighting over it oh and then there was the Master Chief who tried to curb stomp it but then a kid randomly grabs onto his leg to which I put the caption "No Master Chief don't hurt the cube!". Ha ha oh man I have fond memories of that cube. Pretty much everywhere I went I hear "Oh it's the companion cube!" or "Awww can I hug it?".
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote