Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

View Poll Results: Into it at first or no?
Yes 18 81.82%
No 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 01-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Smile So.... How and when did you start cosplaying?

Hi, so this thread just allows people to share how and when they started cosplaying, especially what motivated them to do it . I was 13 and I went to Comic-Con and I decided to cosplay as an Anbu from Naruto. Previously, I went to Anime Expo before this and I think that's what made me want to cosplay. I didn't cosplay at all at AX. Anyway, I didn't make or order the costume. My first cosplay was a closet cosplay, but it wasn't that bad and I'm not ashamed of it. I loved it and I wanted to do more and get more into cosplaying and learn how to sew and make intricate and detailed costumes and cosplay with friends. So what's your story?

Unread 01-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Twin-Tails
~Tails

My friend took me to my first con back in 2009, there were cosplayers everywhere, I decided i wanted to join the ranks, so.... here I am. :3
Twin-Tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Sugarcubesage

I started liking cosplay when I was a sophmore???? in High School. I met some friends who were into cosplaying and I decided to look it up and found it to be amazing. Though I didn't start cosplaying until bout a year or so ago.

Secret Agent Magical Girl
Sugarcubesage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Dollicon
Derelict

If you count the first time I ever wanted to cosplay, I was around 10 years old and I wanted to dress up as a Sailor Moon character for Halloween. d: I actually didn't know cosplay was a real thing until I was 18 years old, despite my love for video games/anime/manga/etc since I was a little girl.

I think I came across a professional cosplayer on DeviantArt and began following her. They inspired me to do research and I found out there's a whole subculture for it. o: I've always been a fan of costuming and dressing up, so I decided to stick my nose into it!
Dollicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
WindNinjaDW
I'm a ninja....word!

I had been into anime for long time, but I had never been to an anime con, let alone known that they even existed. I actually attended my first anime con, MTAC, back in 2010. A friend of mine from work invited me out, and I've been hooked ever since. What made me want to cosplay was seeing all of my fellow otaku dressed as their favorite characters, and I knew right than and there, this was a hobby I wanted to get into.

*Kilik Lunge from Soul Eater(2012-13)*
*Ren Akatsuki from Fairy Tail(2013)*
*Garterbelt from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt(TBD)*
*Trafalgar Law from One Piece(TBD)*
*Omoi from Naruto Shippuden(TBD)*
*Master Xehanort from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep(TBD)*

Future Conventions of 2013 :

Nan Desu Kan, September 13-15, 2013 Denver, CO
WindNinjaDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I had been heavily into Naruto for years and through the internet, I found that there was more anime than just Naruto. I branched out shortly after that. I had seen cosplayers on the internet, but I really didn't think anything of it at the time. In seventh grade I met my two friends to this day that love anime, and we went to Anime USA 2009 together. There I discovered that not only do people cosplay, but that you can make it really good. I had to cosplay then, and the next Anime USA I went as Mokona. Been cosplaying ever since!
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

Uh, there are two stories that explain this so here:
*I've been into Naruto since 7th grade and the moment I move to another school and with me starting to get into Anime. My grandfather goes and buys me a Laptop. It might not seem like a big deal, but I never really used the computer UNTIL then. Other times were just for computer games, or Minesweeper XD. Anyway, I'm searching for Naruto stuff when I come across these cosplayers dressed up at Akatsuki members.(this part was during 8th grade, so like early 2008?) I thought of how cool that was and how much fun they were having so I thought "I WANT TO DO THAT! D:". That night I was also going to my (then friend) girlfriend's house for a sleepover with other people, where I introduced it to them one by one as they woke up.....Cuz I never went to sleep, so I watched that with another person who stayed awake XD

Later in 2009 (I think) I was searching for more cosplay videos when I came across this guy who goes as "peedeeflow" films or something. He talked about the conventions, and well....even if he was kinda a "douche" I saw what a con was through that, and wanted to go to one. My first con though? Eh, dad's parents said "she's too young" so I got yelled at even though he agreed months in advance I could go. I eventually went to my first con, which was AFO 2011.

First cosplay video I ever watched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LynJi787LGQ

Con Guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=802DoFr5u5w

Cosplay List:
-Loftwing (Skyward Sword)
-Postman (Gentlemen's Alliance Cross)
-Joker (Black Butler)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

When I was around 9 or 10 I was unhealthily obsessed to Kingdom Hearts (and always wanted to be like Riku or Roxas). I played online games a lot and had Roxas in my username, and another player directed me to the Sora Show (One of Parle's cosplay shows). I immediately became obsessed with them and wanted to be just like them, so I researched cosplay a lot and ended up learning about Momocon 2010 and went with my dad.
Long story short, I had a replica keyblade, blonde hair, bought an Org. XIII coat after begging my parents for it and called myself Roxas. It was really bad but people still wanted a lot of pictures with me, and I've even watched as some of the people I met there and within my first year of cosplaying grew, and still see them at cons sometime. It was a start to a great thing.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Reily96
Ambitious to a Fault

I honestly don't remember my age, but I believe I was preteen or maybe 13? Just before high school, I remember that much... Point is, I was super excited to go to my first con. I'd never been to one before - didn't even know what on earth was going to happen there... I'd heard that people dressed up, but I didn't believe it. I only saw that on TV shows and so thought it was just a bad stereotype. I didn't want to look like a dork, so I didn't dress up.

I ended up feeling like a dork for not dressing up. XD

Thinking on it, it was fueled by a need to conform and perhaps that wasn't a good thing... But hey, I love this hobby so much. It's really broadened my horizons and made me a bit less of an introvert. ^^

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
KitsuneNoKoibi

When I was about 6, my sister (who was 14 at the time) started cosplaying and going to Otakon. I wasn't really sure what anime was at the time, but I did love Pokemon.
After a few years, when I was probably 12, and my sister was 20, she started introducing me into real anime. My first anime was Yu Yu Hakusho. I loooved it. A few months after I finished the YYH series, my sister told me about an anime convention that would be very close by. Zenkaikon. I was thrilled and really wanted to go, and my sister suggested that I cosplayed for it. When I asked what "cosplaying" was, she explained, and I loved the idea.
So I made my first costume, Kurama, and wore it to Zenkaikon with my friend who was Hiei. Everyone thought we were adorable (Who wouldn't love a little Kurama and Hiei?), and I loved being in costume and talking to other people in costume, and I loved the reaction people had to our costumes. And I loved the reaction I had to other people's costumes.
And since I started cosplaying, my life has changed so much.

My Kurama cosplay: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...iei #/d3c2n1r
We were adorable, ok
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
trmbngrl
Britt

Hoooweee I only started cosplaying at 21 and I feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff. I've jumped into it rather quickly, but that's probably because I've always been a crafty person. i.e. pottery, painting, jewelry making, doing my own hair...
trmbngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I think I got into in around 2002-2003. I made this account in 2003. I remember seeing a flier for ani-magic at one time (not sure if that store is still there or not) and sounded interesting as I always liked costumes and animation/anime, so it sounded like something I would enjoy.

The first cosplay I had made for me, but it was nothing like how I wanted and even though it cost a lot of money, I didn't have the heart to tell them that or that I was too embarrass to wear it (lets not even to go into how horrendous the wig looked, looked like they found it off the street and just handed to me, not even nicely combed). So that year I ended up taking sewing/home ec. as it was required and figured, why not just make costumes myself? That way I can make what I want and how I want it. The first two projects outside of school was my Dir en grey Kyo costume and kimono (first actual project for class was a denim drawstring backpack/bag).

I hadn't cosplayed much due to time, money or difficulty; but trying to make more of an effort to finish some unfinished projects.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
Ilafatyu
That guy

I think I've already shared my story, but since I can't rightly recall, I'll do it again.

It was around 2005 or so that the anime club at my school started up. I'd been a fan of anime and manga for a couple years before that, but when the club started in my sophomore year, I had a reason to attend my first convention. The girl who ran the club was someone I admired in a friendcrush sort of way, and she was going...

And she was cosplaying. Now, I'd known what cosplaying was due to a longstanding internet addition, but I'd never considered actually doing it. The same thing went for steampunk. Imagine my surprise when years later it exploded in popularity. I was a hipster before being a hipster was a thing. But I'm getting off topic.

So my first go at cosplaying was half to join in on something fun and half to get involved with something the club leader did. I was such a nerd back then, trying to earn people's approval like that, but it led me to a hobby I greatly enjoy, so I can't very well complain about it.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
MeiChama
Professional Alvin Lover

It all started when I was 17 and a Senior in High School. I was hanging out with my best friend/ex at the time and one weekend she invited her best friend and myself over her house. We were all sitting in her room and all of a sudden she said she wanted to dress me up randomly in her Itachi Akatsuki cosplay to see what I would look like. I agreed and from there she grabbed the hat, cloak, and shoes and handed them to me. I went in the bathroom to get changed and after I came out, she somewhat laughed and said I was cute in her getup. Course I mentioned that I looked a tad bit silly since I didn't have the rest of the getup, but it was nice nonetheless.

I had heard about cosplay a couple of years before I was dressed up as Itachi and I even bought and wore my very first cosplay back when I went to Anime Expo in 2007, but I wasn't really into it hardcore until I was used as a dress up doll.

What's Being Made
Surprise {Shingeki no Kyojin}
Hanji Zoe {Shingeki no Kyojin}

Where I'm Going
Anime Expo 2014

"With our powers combined we are cosplayers!"
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
Zeles

I was one of those people who never dressed up for Halloween so during the summer of 2011 (going into 8th grade) I decided to make a costume. While looking up pictures of Sheena fujibayashi costumes online I learned about cosplay. So I forced my bff/twin to cosplay with me (she originally wanted me to cosplay as Luka or Meiko so I was like "how about the blonde twins?!" I didnt know vocaloid that well back then hehe XD). We wore our cos to AX'12 and people kept asking for pix, so I got addicted to it xD
then a few months ago my mom banned me from cosplaying -.- but my cousin got mad at her and told her she was limiting my creativity-so now she pays for 25% of my projects and since then I made 9 cosplays ^^
I am so glad I discovered cosplay T.T it helped me meet so many wonderful people T3T