Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
McArtistic

Avengers Hawkeye

So, after seeing The Avengers twice, I absolutely love Clint Barton (Hawkeye) and I really want to cosplay him. My friend is planning on cosplaying as Phil Coulson once I can get my Clint cosplay together. (We currently RP together as Phil and Clint, and are planning on using that as inspiration for possibly making videos once we get our cosplays done.)

But I can't figure out how I'll go about getting the costume together, though. I was even planning on possibly just getting a Halloween costume to start out with, and just sprucing that up. But so far, I've only been able to find this one: http://www.buycostumes.com/The-Aveng...uctDetail.aspx
I've found that same one on several different sites, only available for pre-order, and it only comes in men's X-large and XX-large.

I would just buy it and maybe use it as a guide to make my own, but that's $50 I don't have, and I have no idea when I'd actually get it, as I can't find any date for when it'll actually become available.

So, could anyone help me out with this? I'd prefer if I could just buy one, but I'd also appreciate any advice for making it myself.
McArtistic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

It really depends on how concerned you are with accuracy. The actual movie costume is CRAZY complex and uses a lot of rare and hard-to-find materials, so a dead-on accurate version is not a good option if you're on a tight budget. (Incidentally, the costume versions like the one you linked are a dramatically simplified design. The more accurate replica vests start around $200.)

On the other hand, a friend of mine made a very recognizable Hawkeye costume out of a black zip-up vest that she bought at a thrift store; she added the burgundy design and SHIELD patch to the front, then made her own archery glove and accessories so the little details matched, but her vest was much, much simpler and cheaper than the movie costume versions.

Personally, I did Clint's tactical uniform (the black one from the first half of the movie), which is here. I wanted it to be as accurate as possible, so I spent some money on it, but if you don't mind doing some sewing it would be pretty easy to make a recognizable version of this costume from a thrift store run. You'd need a black vest and some cargo pants to start with, and you could cannibalize some sports kneepads, belts and other equipment.

I did make my own archery glove, quiver and arrows; the glove was made of about $2 worth of scrap fabric and vinyl; the quiver cost about $4 in materials; and the arrows are just painted dowel rods with commercial arrow vanes glued on. The glasses I used are dollar-store knockoffs of Clint's Oakleys. Very inexpensive details if you can get the basic clothing! ^_^

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

This thread on The RPF has a lot of really awesome references and compiled research done by the community. http://www.therpf.com/f24/definitive...thread-146747/

However, there are several pages of debate over the treads on Renner's boots. I think it's silly, but those guys are incredibly detail oriented and very much about the accuracy. Most of them are mature guys, with income to spare. Not many of them mind spending tons of money on the most accurate costume they can make. I would take their discussion with a grain of salt, and pull the things that are most important to making your Hawkeye recognizable, and ignore things like the boot discussion.

Since Hawkeye is a black ops guy, you should try looking in army surplus stores and the like to find clothing pieces, and alter or scratch build the vest, depending on your skill level.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote