Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
What materials, accessories, parts should I get, use to make a Fulgore costume?

Do any of you remember the fighting video game from the 1990's called Killer Instinct? It's kinda long-forgotten, similiar to Mortal Kombat in which it had the blood and gore and finishing moves like Mortal Kombat does. Fulgore is my favorite character, I thought i'd take up a challenge on making a costume of the character Fulgore, since I've never seen anyone cosplay as him before, so I thought I'd make a costume of a character to stand out at a Convention among the common Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter cosplayers(nothing against Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter), and other cosplayers.

So what materials, pieces, parts, accessories should I use in order to make the costume?

Here are pics of Fulgore:
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...4/4a9b7491.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...4/ab1df9c5.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...4/fadec368.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...4/0529a726.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...4/e91687d7.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...4/abfb05ba.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...4/4b0c2563.jpg
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
How should I get started on making the costume?
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
Why do I have no responses? is this too complicated of a costume to make or what? or a boring costume?
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
tarquinevi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
It's a complex design, to be sure. The main problem I see with it is that it's mostly skintight, full body coverage, and armour-like.

So the material needs to be semi-rigid, flexible, strong enough to hold your weight and breathable. These requirements don't tend to mesh well together.

If you, for example, chose EVA foam coated in either styrene or sintra, you'll melt inside. If you make a master model and then do a resin cast, it won't be flexible in the least.

If I was the one making this, I'd choose PVC or bodypaint for the black/skintight parts and coated EVA foam for the silver parts. Maybe try and hide some fans in there. Cons and expos can get VERY hot VERY fast.

Do you have any previous experience with cosplaying/costuming?
tarquinevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...
 
DarkCloudInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,638
You might get away with textured zentai suits, maybe even stitching up a wet suit. Anyway you look at it, it's going to be an expensive project.

The only possible shortcut I can see being executed in this is a prefab'ed muscle suit for a super hero, such as Superman. You'll have to hand sew craft foam to get the texture right but that is incredibly tedious work. The muscle suit is necessary to get that same body build and at least it's breathable although it will retain heat very well.

The helmet you might be able to use the storm troopers from star wars as a loose base and work from there to get it as close as possible.
__________________
Facebook (Friend|Fan) - Twitter
RWBY: Blake Belladonna - Gambol Shroud FUNCTIONAL: Done!
RWBY: Pyrrha Nikos - Milo FUNCTIONAL: Designing
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarquinevi View Post
It's a complex design, to be sure. The main problem I see with it is that it's mostly skintight, full body coverage, and armour-like.

So the material needs to be semi-rigid, flexible, strong enough to hold your weight and breathable. These requirements don't tend to mesh well together.

If you, for example, chose EVA foam coated in either styrene or sintra, you'll melt inside. If you make a master model and then do a resin cast, it won't be flexible in the least.

If I was the one making this, I'd choose PVC or bodypaint for the black/skintight parts and coated EVA foam for the silver parts. Maybe try and hide some fans in there. Cons and expos can get VERY hot VERY fast.

Do you have any previous experience with cosplaying/costuming?
Actually no, this is my first time ever cosplaying/costume for a Convention, the only other times i made my own costume were for Halloween, like I made my own costume one-time for Piccolo from Dragon Ball Z, i've always been a fan of Killer Instinct and Fulgore has always been my favorite character, thought i'd build, make a costume that can stand out at Conventions.
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
and also, i found out lately last month that during the 1990's, there was a Nintendo Power Magazine Contest in which the prize was a Killer Instinct Fulgore Mask!!!, it was a rubber one, but it still looks awesome, nice!, but obviously and sadly, it is extremely, super, ultra, hardcore rare now!, if I could have that, i would not mind wearing the rubber mask and making the body-armor, suit being hard, thick material, here is what the mask looks like:
http://www.videogamemm.com/main/cont...t-fulgore-mask
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
verdatum
Extremely registered user
 
verdatum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,352
Responses tend to die down on Friday and don't really pick up again until Monday. The people who answer questions are either busy having social lives (lol) or working on projects of their own

Unless you are of the rare insane-cosplayer type (such as myself), I generally wouldn't recommend something like this as a first costume. It's an easy way to burn a lot of money and time, only to wind up with nothing wearable.

If I were to attempt this costume, I'd do the body as heat-formed EVA-foam. Much of the heat-forming could be done with an spare electric oven, and something to pull it over, like, a football or something. I probably wouldn't even bother to harden the outside. I might carve some channels into it with a woodburning tool, or soldering iron. If lighted channels were desired (example), this would be done with thin EL-wire; and embedding it to make it look natural, would probably be a pain in the butt.

To get the lighted blades, you'd need high-power LEDs (Luxeon is a popular brand) attached at the base of either frosted, or lightly sanded acrylic. The LEDs are so powerful, they generally need their own heat-sink. I'd just mount it right on the forearm. It wouldn't match the character exactly, but, since he's like a robot-dude, it wouldn't look out of place.

The mask, I'd likely make by vacuforming rigid plastic, such as ABS. Though, if interested you could also use moldmaking/casting techniques to make it with resin+fiberglass or paper-mache (for paper mache, use a plaster mold, as it serves wick out the water so it can dry). I'd potentially make the tubing semi-functional, serving as a respiration mechansim. Setting up valved pipes to breath-through, or a face-mask that seals around your mouth and nose allows you to shunt off your moist breath so the mask doesn't get nasty, and prevents you from rebreathing your stale CO2 laden air. The alternative is to drill a whole bunch of holes in the mask (mostly in the underside) so air circulates are freely as possible. To get an appropriate facemask (complete with the needed clapper valves!) you can just cannibalize a cartridge respirator from the hardware store. To clarify, this facemask would be hidden beneath the decorative surface facemask.
You can tint clear plexiglass yourself to make the eyes, but you'll get a much snazzier effect by cutting apart some ruby-tinted skiing goggles. They use special vacuum-deposition techniques to get the cool reflective surface.

Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, if you try to back-light the eyes, you won't be able to see out of them. You will only see your own reflection. You can either set those eyes up as false-eyes and see out of hidden eye holes drilled elsewhere, leave the eyes dark, or rig up a switch, so that you can turn the lights on just for photos and such.

As mentioned, heat will be a major issue with this costume. You'd want to either make it extremely oversized, so you can get air-circulation by installing a discrete PC-fan. Or you can incorporate a cold-vest, which circulates cool water through tubes around your core, and then pipes that water to a heat-sink and water-pump outside the costume, which would be carried about like a suitcase. Naturally, the later solution is pretty expensive. Regardless, you will be extremely uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!
__________________
Founder Special FX wiki http://fx.wikia.com
verdatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Responses tend to die down on Friday and don't really pick up again until Monday. The people who answer questions are either busy having social lives (lol) or working on projects of their own

Unless you are of the rare insane-cosplayer type (such as myself), I generally wouldn't recommend something like this as a first costume. It's an easy way to burn a lot of money and time, only to wind up with nothing wearable.

If I were to attempt this costume, I'd do the body as heat-formed EVA-foam. Much of the heat-forming could be done with an spare electric oven, and something to pull it over, like, a football or something. I probably wouldn't even bother to harden the outside. I might carve some channels into it with a woodburning tool, or soldering iron. If lighted channels were desired (example), this would be done with thin EL-wire; and embedding it to make it look natural, would probably be a pain in the butt.

To get the lighted blades, you'd need high-power LEDs (Luxeon is a popular brand) attached at the base of either frosted, or lightly sanded acrylic. The LEDs are so powerful, they generally need their own heat-sink. I'd just mount it right on the forearm. It wouldn't match the character exactly, but, since he's like a robot-dude, it wouldn't look out of place.

The mask, I'd likely make by vacuforming rigid plastic, such as ABS. Though, if interested you could also use moldmaking/casting techniques to make it with resin+fiberglass or paper-mache (for paper mache, use a plaster mold, as it serves wick out the water so it can dry). I'd potentially make the tubing semi-functional, serving as a respiration mechansim. Setting up valved pipes to breath-through, or a face-mask that seals around your mouth and nose allows you to shunt off your moist breath so the mask doesn't get nasty, and prevents you from rebreathing your stale CO2 laden air. The alternative is to drill a whole bunch of holes in the mask (mostly in the underside) so air circulates are freely as possible. To get an appropriate facemask (complete with the needed clapper valves!) you can just cannibalize a cartridge respirator from the hardware store. To clarify, this facemask would be hidden beneath the decorative surface facemask.
You can tint clear plexiglass yourself to make the eyes, but you'll get a much snazzier effect by cutting apart some ruby-tinted skiing goggles. They use special vacuum-deposition techniques to get the cool reflective surface.

Contrary to what Hollywood would have you believe, if you try to back-light the eyes, you won't be able to see out of them. You will only see your own reflection. You can either set those eyes up as false-eyes and see out of hidden eye holes drilled elsewhere, leave the eyes dark, or rig up a switch, so that you can turn the lights on just for photos and such.

As mentioned, heat will be a major issue with this costume. You'd want to either make it extremely oversized, so you can get air-circulation by installing a discrete PC-fan. Or you can incorporate a cold-vest, which circulates cool water through tubes around your core, and then pipes that water to a heat-sink and water-pump outside the costume, which would be carried about like a suitcase. Naturally, the later solution is pretty expensive. Regardless, you will be extremely uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, yeah i've wondered if I should do this costume some other time in my life, as in not a good idea for a first costume, but i feel up for challenge
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
char99char
Crazy for costumes
 
char99char's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 718
As a general note - posts that start with "Please tell me how to do everything" don't get good responses. Better to search for info on the forum and do some reading on the internet and try to post a specific question.

Good luck - challenges are always good.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
As a general note - posts that start with "Please tell me how to do everything" don't get good responses. Better to search for info on the forum and do some reading on the internet and try to post a specific question.

Good luck - challenges are always good.
I'm sorry, i apologize, well okay, i'm not asking for advice on to do literally everything, i mean just suggestions, like the parts, materials, pieces, accessories, i should use to build the costume
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
char99char
Crazy for costumes
 
char99char's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 718
I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you feel bad. It was meant as an explanation why some posts don't get a lot of responses.

Break it down piece by piece. It's helpful just to browse similar costumes to see what other people have made.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
ILovePopCulture
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by char99char View Post
I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you feel bad. It was meant as an explanation why some posts don't get a lot of responses.

Break it down piece by piece. It's helpful just to browse similar costumes to see what other people have made.
some people i've asked for suggestions, they said Wonderflex, Craftfoam or Sintra, what do you think?
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
tarquinevi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarquinevi View Post
...If you, for example, chose EVA foam coated in either styrene or sintra, you'll melt inside. If you make a master model and then do a resin cast, it won't be flexible in the least.

If I was the one making this, I'd choose PVC or bodypaint for the black/skintight parts and coated EVA foam for the silver parts. Maybe try and hide some fans in there. Cons and expos can get VERY hot VERY fast...
Wonderflex is expensive, Sintra is similar to wonderflex in how you would use it. Many people use Craft (EVA) foam as a base, then build a layer of sintra, wonderflex or styrene on top. The foam strengthens, the next layer looks nicer/smoother.
tarquinevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.