Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
RachelRoodle

Question Cosplay while being in character?

Hello. So I have a Meenah Peixes cosplay, (Yes a homestuck character... I know they're overwhelmingly popular...) She is MY FAVORITE character. I was thinking about larping a little bit as her while in my costume of her, drop a few lines she might say that sound like her every now and then, but I have a problem with swearing... What should I do? As a character, She's the defining example of "gangster" and also does a lot of fish puns.
RachelRoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Do whatever you're comfortable doing.

I don't know the character but people who do know the character and enjoy in character interactions will appreciate whatever you do. Otherwise...don't worry about it. If you're not comfortable with some aspects of it, then don't do those bits. It's not a requirement that you have to be in character all the time..or even at all. If someone is expecting you to swear like a sailor and wave fish puns everywhere, then that's their problem...not yours.

Just have fun with it and enjoy yourself.
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

Honestly, no one is gonna care if you don't act like her..I can see the whole you wanting to thing, but if you are against her type of talk, you don't really have much choice..

Not being in character is one thing, but wanting to do it, but being totally against their way of life will make it extremely hard..All I can say is use creative thinking and word things a little differently..Like using non swear words in place..But honestly, that "gangster" attitude is probably best among people that already expect it. Like, don't act like that when you are meeting someone for the first time, or something like that. Like, make sure the others are kool with you talking like that to them before you do.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 01:03 AM   #4
CS3
wannabe world traveler

I don't know Homestuck so I would obviously be lost as to what was going on. You can always limit "in character" to the gatherings and photo shoots.
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Being in character while cosplaying is a tough one I think. There's more to it than I feel a lot of people realize. There are so many things to consider while acting in character, and if you're not used to interacting with people in-character; reading your audience, picking up on their reactions, and then reacting appropriately to those reactions, I would be careful with in-character interactions to be honest. I would say general rule of thumb for in-character is it should be limited to meetups and photoshoots for your fandom where people will understand the references you are making. For example, if your character says potentially offensive things, you definitely don't want to incorporate those in your interactions with people outside of your fandom because they may not know what you are referencing. If there are ways you can pick up subtle nuances of the character (maybe her vocal tone when she talks, speech patterns, or mannerisms) it is possible for you to act in-character outside of the fandom. But for those kinds of interactions, I would just stick with something that can be understood by those both inside and outside of the fandom (for example, you might be able to just carry on a relatively normal conversation but using Meenah's voice). Really, I feel that getting into character and carrying on successful interactions as that character takes a lot of practice and experience and usually best done with characters that are really widely recognized (i.e note the people who cosplay L and walk with his posture all day). Also if your character is potentially "annoying" I would be careful with how in-character you are. You don't want to accidentally annoy and offend people you are talking to.
Just use your best judgment, and if people don't seem to want to talk to you in-character, then break character and talk to them as yourself.
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

From what i have heard when homestuck cosplayers act in character things tend to go downhill fast, or at least it has a bad rep.

but an alternate to swearing could be like ned flanders does, or more of words that sound like swears abut are not. you can create your own system on it.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
PotatoCosplay
Little Songbird

I really don't want to sound rude here, BUT I don't think it would be best to cosplay a Homestuck character and act like them to a convention.
As someone who has dealt with those cosplayers before, I can confirm that things do go downhill very quickly.

I'm really sorry if these came off as rude, but I'm speaking from purely personal experience.
Burial at Sea/Lobotomy Elizabeth-Complete

Long Beach Comic Expo
1998 Mode Elizabeth ((Bioshock Infinite))-Complete
Snow White ((The Wolf Among Us))-Complete

Anime Expo:
Anastasia ((Blue dress))-Complete
Brigid Tenenbaum-Complete
Comstock Dress Elizabeth-Complete

Comikaze:
Belle ((Blue dress))
Tower Dress Elizabeth
PotatoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
From what i have heard when homestuck cosplayers act in character things tend to go downhill fast, or at least it has a bad rep.

but an alternate to swearing could be like ned flanders does, or more of words that sound like swears abut are not. you can create your own system on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoCosplay View Post
I really don't want to sound rude here, BUT I don't think it would be best to cosplay a Homestuck character and act like them to a convention.
As someone who has dealt with those cosplayers before, I can confirm that things do go downhill very quickly.

I'm really sorry if these came off as rude, but I'm speaking from purely personal experience.
As someone who knows almost nothing about Homestuck other than the appearance of the characters can you tell me why this is? I'm sincerely interested.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
RachelRoodle

Thanks you guys for all your wonderful advice on this Thank god lol. Instead of swearing I was thinkin of just using her fish puns as a replacement. Like "clammit" instead of "damnit" or "basshole" instead of "asshole."
RachelRoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
JasonTerror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocle_Complex View Post
As someone who knows almost nothing about Homestuck other than the appearance of the characters can you tell me why this is? I'm sincerely interested.
It's because the majority of the Homestuck fandom is made up of immature little 13 year olds that think running around and doing whatever the hell they want to is somehow "ok" just because they are cosplaying.
Literally 99.9% (meaning all but maybe ONE or TWO) of them, all they do:
-Run around being extremely loud and obnoxious
-Glomping anyone they come in view of (usually a favorite character or whatever) just because they feel like it without warning.
-Along with glomping, most of them don't seal their bodypaint and get it on other people then run away (this is what happens when they glomp..They run up, grab you tight, let go and run away..Most times leaving body paint on the cosplayer they just glomped, without caring about it..)

This is just a few things..There are more but I think you get the point lol
I hate this fandom because of those people. Now granted not everyone in the fandom is that way, but most are..

It's like this..One person acts that way making the younger ones think that's the way they should act, so then no one tells the younger ones that the person they are looking up to is being wrong, so they in turn act that way and pass that down to the next new ones..Most homestuck cosplayers I have seen are in their early teens or just getting out of grade school..So..These kids are impressionable and learn the bad parts because there aren't enough homestucks giving it a good name at cons to pass down THAT attitude..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Quote:
I know nothing about Homestuck, I am not interested in it and I actually like seeing the other cosplayers' Homestuck costumes that they put a lot of work into. But, like Jason said (and I actually have to agree on him with this one) most of the fanbase is just downright annoying. Now don't get me wrong, it's not all of them - I have met some very lovely Homestuck fans (some are my best friends) so I won't say that every single one of them is a bad person, because they aren't. But a lot of them are downright rude, and have no respect for others. For example, once I saw a cosplayer in a wheelchair cosplaying Yuri from Angel Beats! and she was trying to go up the ramp when suddenly a ton of Homestuck cosplayers cut in front of her and go up the ramp first...

My friend from Gaia Online has had a bad experience with them... she spent $80 on a Victorian bustle only to have a Gamzee and Karkat follow her around, intentionally stepping on the train and yelling profanities...

And once at Anime Boston a bunch of them all got pissed because they couldn't have their own panel (because Homestuck isn't anime or Japanese culture) and held their own unofficial panel in the hallways... which wouldn't have been a problem if they weren't being insanely loud, and blocking off the hallways.

Now I'm not saying that they're all bad, but I've never met a fandom as rude and as arrogant as most of them... just saying.

And it has nothing to do with them being 13, age has nothing to do with it...

Anyway back on topic...

You don't have to act in character if you don't want to, especially if you're pressured (for example, my friend as Ciel got pressured into acting in character for fanservice purposes which made her uncomfortable). Just do what you want - nobody will really care. :P
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned Cosplays
Oerba Dia Vanille (Final Fantasy 13)
Catherine (Catherine game)
Firefox (Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser)
Lone Wanderer (Fallout 3) **Not Confirmed**
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Pretty much what everyone else said. If you're not being overly obnoxious and making other people uncomfortable, then go ahead.

Future Conventions
Wondercon 2014
Fanime 2014
Anime Expo 2014
San Diego Comic Con 2014

Future Cosplays
Genderbent Sora (25% complete)
Witch Rapunzel Variant (COMPLETE)
Ibuki Mioda (COMPLETE)
Tali'Zora (COMPLETE)
Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
PotatoCosplay
Little Songbird

Quote:
As someone who used to be involved with the fandom, I agree with many of the points that JasonTerror made.

At ALA, there was a huge group of them outside and when I went outside to get some fresh air ((I had been in a corset all day)), the Homestuck cosplayers were playing a rather inappropriate game of spin the bottle and singing very obnoxiously.

Also, a lot of the Gamzee cosplayers carry horns with them and they tend to honk them. After hearing for an entire day, it gets quite obnoxious.

Also, even though this was not in character, I overheard a Rose talking about how awful it was to have Bioshock cosplayers at an anime convention.

Don't get me wrong, some of the cosplayers are incredibly talented and wonderful people, but a lot of them tend to be immature and think that when they act 'in character', they get a free pass to do anything they please.
Burial at Sea/Lobotomy Elizabeth-Complete

Long Beach Comic Expo
1998 Mode Elizabeth ((Bioshock Infinite))-Complete

Anime Expo:
Anastasia ((Blue dress))-Complete
Brigid Tenenbaum-Complete
Comstock Dress Elizabeth-Complete

Comikaze:
Belle ((Blue dress))
Tower Dress Elizabeth
PotatoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
JasonTerror

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoCosplay View Post
Also, even though this was not in character, I overheard a Rose talking about how awful it was to have Bioshock cosplayers at an anime convention.
Wait wait wait wait....Is this "Rose" character a Homestuck character? If so..REALLY!?!? A NON ANIME COSPLAYER at an anime con was bitching about NON ANIME COSPLAYERS BEING AT AN ANIME CON!?!? WHAT!? My mind can't handle this much stupid..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #15
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

Quote:
Aww, that's adorable. They can talk without actually saying anything.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote