Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Gamedraco Cosplay
Use the Triforce Link

Tollerance to mashups and original takes on characters in cosplay

Does anyone feel that mashups and original takes on characters in cosplay are tolerated differently among series, franchises, and/or fandoms?

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2016 Wondercon

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: Complete
Majora's Mask Skull Kid: In progress. Patterns Drafted
Future Cosplay plans:
Paper Mario 64 Bowser
Sceptile
Personal Fursona
Gamedraco Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

Tolerated differently in what way? Do you mean, "I don't find as many pictures of me online after a con as people who do canon outfits" or that you're facing active discrimination based on a choice you make? Are cons barring you from participating or not allowing you to cosplay this way? Please explain.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

i think it might be more about "percieved intent"

not everyone can handle it when somthing they like is being made fun of or insulted
but for the most part, i think people are able to see the humor or art in it

some mash-ups sound goofy but when you see it executed right
can be kinda neat, like sailormoon/stormtroopers

as for a level of degree tween franchises/fandoms
i think if the source material has a reather serious aire to it
fans might be less enthused about seeing it out of context

but say someones a bobobo super-fan, as goofy as that series is
i dont think theyd have "the right" to be insulted
because the show is overdramatic and constantly poking fun and contridicting itself
and any/everything couldve happened in that show
if you disreguard ESRB, and cultural restrictions
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 04:07 PM   #4
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedraco Cosplay View Post
Does anyone feel that mashups and original takes on characters in cosplay are tolerated differently among series, franchises, and/or fandoms?
I don't get the question.

Definition of "to tolerate" (in this context) from the web dictionary:

1. to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.

2. to endure without repugnance; put up with:
I can tolerate laziness, but not incompetence.

By this definition you are tolerated anywhere, as long as nobody is activily trying to stop you from cosplaying a mash-up character.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Some fans love to be surprised.
Some fans don't want their favorite characters to be touched.

You can't please all of them.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Gamedraco Cosplay
Use the Triforce Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syon View Post
I don't get the question.

Definition of "to tolerate" (in this context) from the web dictionary:

1. to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit.

2. to endure without repugnance; put up with:
I can tolerate laziness, but not incompetence.

By this definition you are tolerated anywhere, as long as nobody is activily trying to stop you from cosplaying a mash-up character.
What I am asking is if there are cosplay groups that tollerate mashups and or original takes less then others. Basically if cosplay groups prefer screen accurate cosplays and are elitist about it to those who do their own thing with mashups and original takes.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2016 Wondercon

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: Complete
Majora's Mask Skull Kid: In progress. Patterns Drafted
Future Cosplay plans:
Paper Mario 64 Bowser
Sceptile
Personal Fursona
Gamedraco Cosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamedraco Cosplay View Post
What I am asking is if there are cosplay groups that tollerate mashups and or original takes less then others. Basically if cosplay groups prefer screen accurate cosplays and are elitist about it to those who do their own thing with mashups and original takes.
So...more "tolerated" in the sense of accepted, welcome and liked?
Thats pretty hard to generlize. There will be no definied answer for any fandom or larger group and its also kind of difficult to pinpoint what counts as "elitist" behavior, as people might feel different about the same kind of behavior.

I absolutly tolerate people who "do their own thing", because its their time, money and passion and not my business to judge that or give them a hard time.
But at the same time I hope those cosplayers will also understand, that I'm not as much of a fan of their designs or hold the same passion as I do for original characters. Especially when there isn't impressive, big craftmanship involved (which I always adore seeing).

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Rarely I can see it.
Someone people hate mashups because they think "how dare you cross this thing that I like with this thing that I don't like!"
As for OCs, the only time I see people really caring about it is when contests don't allow them.
Unread 07-24-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
Respawning

I think mash ups can be awesome, and even hilarious at times. I'm currently enjoying looking up Disney Princess Jedis.

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie, Tiefling Sorcerer, Morrigan of Dragon Age, Thor Goddess of Thunder, Daenerys Targaryen
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Steampunk gown

part of Pixelated Cosplay group on Facebook, @cathartic_creation on Instagram
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

What do you mean by cosplay groups, then?

Like, is this some sort of veiled comment about the 501st not permitting comedy mashups or parodies as official club costumes? Or do you just mean fandoms in general?

If it's about established clubs, groups, chapters, or guilds with existing strict rules on what is permitted to be claimed as an official costume for official purposes? Suck it up. Those types of groups have a price of admission, which is being accurate to the source. And why? In the 501st's case, they essentially serve as the public fan face of a major license property and are allowed to exist solely because they perform charity work as that public face. They have to be strict because they have the eyes of the companies who own Star Wars on them at all times. In the case of some historical guilds, their purpose is educational and to spread awareness of that historical period, so letting anachronisms slide is detrimental to their purpose. And, I will add this: any official group or guild I've ever met does not bring the sledgehammer of strictness down on their members' personal costumes done for fun. ONLY on costumes submitted for official purposes. They're totally cool with letting you do whatever the fuck you want in your personal time, when you're "off the clock" so to speak.

But if you mean, I don't know, unofficial groups of people who just sort of hang out sometime, or fandoms in general? Anyone who does make a stink about mashups and the like is just out of touch with what matters in cosplay. What matters? Enjoying yourself.

But I've never actually seen it in practice. I've never known, in my 17 years of doing this, anyone with a strong and vocal dislike of parody costumes to the point of crusading against them or cold-shouldering them out of the popular-kids' clique. I personally don't do them, but I do enjoy both good concepts and good execution. I don't seek them out, I'm usually not interested to see them, unless the concept and execution both are incredible. I've seen a lot of good ideas really fall flat in the hands of someone who couldn't execute, and I've seen so many concepts DONE TO DEATH that seeing yet another one just makes me wonder if the person is new to cosplay and doesn't realize it's been done to death. Either way, I don't ever tell them they can't do it. They're free to do whatever they want.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Amanita

^Pretty much what Capsulecorp said. Living History groups or clubs like the 501st have reasons for being as strict and narrowly focused as they are, and for having the rules that they do, in order to present a respectable public front or fulfill a mission of educating the public.

If you want to do a historical-based costume but not be bound to strict accuracy, then the Society for Creative Anachronism, or various retro fandoms (Steam or Dieselpunk) may be more up your alley, and more likely to embrace you.

If you want to do your own fun Star Wars OC or mashup, there are lots of other fan run groups or clubs where you would fit in, without being tied down to strict movie recreation.

It's all about finding your niche, really.
Unread 07-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
0palHeart
Midwest Cosplayer

Honestly I love to see mash-ups. Don't get me wrong I love the original characters, and love to see them done but you also see quite a bit of the original character (some more so than others depending on who the character is obviously) mash-ups are kind of a fresh and fun approach. It's not canon but it's interesting to see the creativity combine the two. Personally me or my friends have never had a problem with any 'elitists' or people getting upset because of it but maybe I've just been lucky enough to not see that.

2017 Conventions
Anime Milwaukee 2017
Nebraskon 2017

Upcoming Cosplays
Morgiana- Magi (90%)
Fem!Sun- RWBY (75%)
Aurora- Child of Light (40%)
0palHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #13
Yog0

I prefer characters being mostly true to the character with maybe younger/older versions and/or cross into a different genre like a comic book character in medieval armor (medieval Loki is amazing for example).

But just some crazy off the wall mashup? Probably don't care for it however I would never be rude and bash it. I just probably wouldn't take a picture and/or place it prominently in my albums.

Ultimately you should cosplay for yourself not others though.
Yog0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #14
Helara
She had a foam arm.

Some people are really sensitive. There are still some people who hate genderbend cosplays and no doubt I have had silent haters for turning tough male characters into female ones even though I've done nothing or very little to soften them other than make them into women. With those ones it's more about the individual's own issues and prejudices on gender that are the problem and not the cosplayer.

For me, I like mashups or original takes as I can see beyond it and value the creative thought behind it. It can take some imagination to mix two things up into a cohesive whole, and it can take some crafting skill on top of that as well.

Just some people are incredibly fanboy/fangirl on their particular fandom or some are just very blinkered. Haters going to hate.
Unread 07-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
cosplaystuff

If you mean like those Disney Princesses dressed up in different themed outfits, I really like those. I think they are an interesting and sort of original way to still cosplay as the character. As long as you can still tell which characters they are trying to be, I think it's neat.
cosplaystuff is offline   Reply With Quote