Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
PolishTwinky
Thepolishtwinky

How do you keep your cosplays in order?

I was just wondering how people keep their costumes in order, especially with how little room some people have.

My costumes tend to start piling up (neatly though) after i make them, especially with hats and shoes and such xD. It's a pain trying to keep them separated from regular clothing.

Unread 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

For costumes with smaller pieces like, for example, my Mami Tomoe, I have tupperware storage bins in my closet where I can keep everything together! Usually the wig goes in there as well (Mami's does not, because it's heavily styled, but if it's a generic wig, yep). They're labeled by character. For costumes that can be put on a hanger, they're hanging in a section of my closet.

Anime Weekend Atlanta
Mako Mankanshoku (PJs) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Override) | Satsuki Kiryuin (Credits) | Bertholdt Fubar
Geek Media Expo
Mami Tomoe | Ymir | Satsuki Kiryuin (Override)
Shadocon
Zuko | Ymir | Bertholdt Fubar | Rei Ryugazaki
Yama-con
Dagger | Ymir

schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Star Schnauzer

This is what I do..wigs go in a plastic bin, props depending on size go in a bin, costumes go in garment bags in my closet.

Costumes Completed
Rock & Benny Black Lagoon
Sir Integra Hellsing(rule 63) & Hellsing Merc
Mina Hazuki (rule 63) Darker than Black 2 & Black Reaper Darker Than Black 1-2
Zwei---Phantom of Inferno
Star Gate SG-1
Soul Eater--Spirit
MHI "Lizard Hunters", "Los Alamos" Branch MHI
MCB agent/operator
Desert Punk
S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot
Psycho Pass Enforcer
Resident Evil--UMBRELLA scientist
Star Schnauzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Ilafatyu
That guy

Costumes go on hangers covered by a trash bag (garment bag style), with the bits and pieces in plastic bins. Shoes go in one of those shoe divider things under my bed... Hats are sort of stacking right now. I don't know what to do with hats.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
redsheep

Yeah, I don't. They're all over my house. XD Tho, I do have a big metal cabinet for my wigs.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

Tupperware bins and space bags are my way to go.
- Nagisa Hazuki/Thug seme -Free 50% OFF

Maybe later/In the works
- Mink/Mizuki -DMMD
- Ryuko Matoi -KLK
- Videl (short hair)-DBZ
- Yoko Littner -TTGL
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

There is a cabinet in my bathroom for linens. Wigs and headdresses go in there. There is a tiny coat closet by my door: clothing, shoes, and props go in there. There is a dining room table: a bunch of tools n stuff live there.

So my costumes are pretty organized, but my sheets and towels get stored in empty suitcases, my coats get piled on the couch, and I have to eat at a TV tray instead of a table.

And it's all covered in cat hair :3
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

You really don't need some kind of miracle system. Simply putting them away is enough - deciding to get dedicated storage (bins, etc) or hanging up parts in a certain section of your closet is already above and beyond just putting them away.

When I was still living in apartments, I still managed to have particular rubbermaid bins (they're on sale now for college students and will be on sale again for Halloween, Christmas, and every other occasion where people might need to store things) solely for costumes. I also have a tower of the stacking plastic bins with clear drawers to put costume things in. They're not even really organized, just...chronological? As I finished costumes and had to get more bins, which got stacked on top, newer costumes went in there and older costumers end up lower down in the stack.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
TitanSlayer000
Eh

They're all throughout the house. Did you want to make a sandwich? Well, when you open the fridge to get the cheese there'll probably be a cosplay in there.

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
Noize
One Sky, One Destiny

I occasionally store most of my costumes in my luggages since I don't travel a lot so it helps with space. Some of my more fragile costumes go into a box. Only my heavy styled wigs have their own wig heads while everything else goes into a box as well.
Guo Jia [Dynasty Warrior 8]
Fem!Noiz [DRAMAtical Murder]

Dream Cosplays
Chrome Dokuro [Katekyo Hitman REBORN!]
Rin [Togainu no Chi]
Lucina [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Military Akira [Togainu no Chi]

Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
MissLumetta

I made a rack and attacked it to my craft room wall and hung my non-styled wigs on it. Wig heads are stored wherever there is space. Shoes are all stored in my shoe bin. And costumes are put in a spacebag if I have no plans to wear it for a bit and ones that I'm currently wearing for a few conventions go on hangers, with the exception of my Ice Elsa since it's so heavy due to the sequins and beads (you also never hang a beaded garment). That one is in a spacebag and on top of all the spacebagged costumes so that i can easily access it. Accessories are put in a gallon bag (each character has it's own bag), labeled and put in a bin. Props get stored with the swords, nerf guns, laundry room or my mom's dinning room.

Planned Conventions (these aren't counting the ones that I don't need a hotel for)
DragonCon
UmiCon (going to be a cosplay guest there)
AFO
Holiday Matsuri
MissLumetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Well, right now I don't have any space for props and armor equipment, so my Vaati cosplay is kind of scattered all over my room. >.>

However, I'll be moving sometime this month, and I'd like to plan for a more dedicated cosplay space in my work room (I'll finally be getting one~). What I'd like to do is just have a bunch of storage bins for accessories, wigs, and whatnot, and hang costumes in the closet in that room. Shoes can hang out on the closet floor in an orderly fashion. My kimono supplies will have to be kept in separate storage bins, though, which is fine, I just need more of them what with my recent kimono binge. >.>
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I have a large trundle drawer on my bed, a dresser drawer, a wardrobe with enough room for shoes (including my cosplay shoes, which outnumber normal ones), and wigs go on top of a big storage shelf I bought from costco. I don't do a lot of props, but those tend to be stored at my boyfriend's since he usually makes them. I live in a student house, so everything stays in my bedroom, but luckily I have a good-sized room.
Retired costumes, though, are kept at my Mom's house in an old dresser.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Ion
Lyrical gangster

I have my own house so I have some space to work with. Many of my costumes and shoes are in a free-standing wardrobe like below, but some have poured over into a bedroom closet.

The wardrobe cost about $25 and I would like to get another one... or maybe I could sell some costumes, hmm, nah.

Some lightweight accessories are just in plastic bags looped over the hanger for the costume so everything stays together. Wigs are in a big plastic tote, props are standing in another tote or leaning against a wall. Everything is in the finished basement [save for the aforementioned bedroom closet] so that I can kind of contain the craziness so it also cuts down on the scramble to tidy up the house if guests stop by on short notice.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

My costume stuff has to compete with my wardrobe and my boxes of Sailor Moon merchandise. Basically I put each costume in its own space saver bag. Sometimes I'll have each part in its own baggie, like one for accessories, another for armbands and stockings, etc. and put those smaller bags into the bigger space saver bag. The bags then go into a bin. Shoes are packed in their own bags and put in the same bin. All of my wigs go in one bag together, and each prop in its own bag.

Cosplay supplies and tools are a different story...I have tried so hard to keep all that stuff tidy but to no avail.

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote