Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
dusklux
Prince of Lucis

Reliable Costume Help?

So, I'm fairly new to cosplaying. Most of my cosplays have been fairly newbish in style, but for the con coming up in 2017 I'd like to amp up my outfits. My lineup for the con is going to be Hinata Shoyo (Haikyuu!), Ryuko Matoi (KLK), and Noctis Lucis Caelum (FFXV).

I'm in need of a bit of help, what sites do you guys know that's reliable for outfits and heat resistant wigs? I've already bought everything I need for the Haikyuu! outfit, Ryuko I'm at a bit of a loss for because I can't seem to find anything that looks really reliable for the price and really good in quality. I thiiiink I've got Noctis' outfit handled I just can't seem to find a good looking heat resistant wig and a good priced weapon prop. Can anyone help or give me suggestions? I'd make my own stuff but I'm not too great at prop making and I don't have a sewing machine or anything....
dusklux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Scunosi

For someone like Ryuko with a rather iconic hairstyle I'd recommend dropping the cash on a nice custom wig, unless you plan on doing all the styling yourself. I'm really bad at hairstyling myself so especially for characters with something weird going on I'd probably just end up buying a premade one. I guess her normal hair would really just be a wig with a weft but that'd be the extent of my styling powers.

Noctis' hair looks a little more generic (as far as anime/video game hair goes anyway). People recommend Aarda but I've also had a great wig from Epic Cosplay. I'm not familiar with their shorter/men's wigs though and it'd be nice to know if any one company specializes in those.

For Noctic's weapon you aren't likely to find anything ready made for "a good price." It's a fairly complex sword from what I found online, nothing that couldn't be fudged yourself though following general sword (or gunblade) tutorials. If you've got the time and are trying to save money I'd suggest trying to build one yourself, but if not brace yourself to pay a decent amount for a prop sword like that.

Upcoming Conventions
Sakuracon 2017

Latest cosplay
Lunara (HotS)

Working On
Wicke (Pokémon S&M)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #3
dusklux
Prince of Lucis

Thanks for the tips! Yeah for Ryuko I just assumed buying a custom would be better. I'm still looking though unfortunately....

Noctis...I almost have him figured out. I found a really nice wig from Arda, it's just getting the colour right. Not sure if I should go for an ash black or a blue-black. hmmm. I've also resolved on making his outfit myself and so far....I have no clue where to start and no clue how to do half of the stuff I want to do,,,;;;; hopefully I'll figure it out with research and practice
dusklux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
Soul Perception

I use taobao for almost everything. You just gotta find a proxy/forwarder willing to ship it from China to you. I think there's a lot of tutorials online on how to shop there from your country.
Soul Perception is offline   Reply With Quote