Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

What do you go to conventions for?

I know when I go to conventions, I mostly go to look at the dealer floor, buy new merch, and to show off my cosplays. Sometimes I'll go for the guests, particularly if there are YouTubers there that I like/YouTubers that I know personally. But what's your guys' main motives/objectives when you hit the convention floor? Are you there for the cosplay contests? Masq? Just to run around and have fun?

Tumblr

Twitter
JaceGem is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I go for the same reasons as your first sentence, but I think that's pretty normal. I also go for guests. I try to get autographs on some of my favorite anime and games. I also go because I have quite a few friends that live too far to hang out with normally, and at cons we can finally hang out. I can't do panels and things like that too often. Maybe one for the whole con. I get somewhat claustrophobic when surrounded by a large amount of people. It's a lot easier to be on the sidelines of panels, where there's a lot of room on one side of me. Don't feel so closed in. And I also don't go to the dances, contests and stuff because they just aren't my thing.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
WondererBailey
o3o)/

- Merch (though lately more artist alley stuff, and the occasional dealer hall figure or plush)
- Cosplay! I love to cosplay, I love to take pictures of cosplay, cosplay contests~
- Sometimes guests/autographs
- Sometimes panels, though more like photography panels or workshop like panels.
- Friends!

Lushen - [Summoners War] - 40% / Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85%
/ Aizawa Shouta - [My Hero Academia] - Planning

2018 Cons: Kumoricon

W. Bailey Photography
Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

drinking in cosplay and hanging out with friends i don't get to see very often. occasionally i compete. i used to run panels but it's hard to get those accepted.

karaoke is rad because i enjoy forcing people to listen to me sing. i'm good at it if it's in english so that's a bonus i guess.

mainly just drinking in cosplay with friends, though. i could do that at home i guess but it's more fun to do it in public because it's breaking the law and rob halford would approve.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

I get where y'all are coming from. I sometimes go to panels, but like I said mostly for people I like/know personally. These last few cons I've been at there hasn't been an artist alley, there's been a dealer hall that had all the people selling art crammed into the very back of the dealer hall, they didn't get their separate rooms. This year at IndyPop Con I hear there's gonna be an artist alley though so maybe I'll check that out and see what art is up for sale. Could definitely use a couple new wall scrolls.

Tumblr

Twitter
Unread 06-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Cosplay. Period.

I'm too old to care about most of the guests, particularly at local-level cons who can't afford actors and can only get "freebie" guests. I can buy merch cheaper and with better service online. I don't game, I don't sing, and even though I love dancing the "dances" start too late at night for my ancient geezer ass these days. So, cosplay it is. Just that. The doing and the seeing.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

1. Attention and praise.
2. Friends I don't see very often.

Don't care about guests and I've got all the dealers-hall tchotchkes I could ever really want, which weren't many in the first place. The dance IS nice, but I'm old enough that it feels just a little awkward getting my shimmy on around teenagers--I love dancing and I'm good at it but eh. Nah.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
DiscoGlacier

Cosplay gatherings! They're practically the main event for me, not only for the opportunity to show off my costumes, but to also make new friends and see old ones. The events the convention itself provides are typically secondary, with the most desirable ones also revolving around cosplay and socialization (i.e. photoshoot sets, formal ballroom dances). I don't care about guests or industry panels, and there's nothing I could buy at the Dealer's Halls and Artists Alleys that won't just take up the limited space in my room.

I used to go for the screenings, and in fact I looked at conventions as a hybrid between costume parties and film festivals. Unfortunately, most of the ones I've attended either focused on snippets of series (especially when they're sponsored by Crunchyroll) or don't hold screenings at all. I don't want to pay for a convention badge just to watch content I could view for free at home; this is meant to be a special time, and within that time should be special films that can't easily be found elsewhere.
DiscoGlacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Today, mostly for work. I work an artist alley/crafter table at almost all conventions I attend nowadays. And with that, cosplays have to be kept simple, no partying because 6-7 am wakeups, and little time for panels (and good god I am NEVER trying to run a table and compete in the masquerade again, even with a helper.) So, I'm there to make some money for making cool nerdy stuff in an environment that isn't soul-crushing retail. :P

As for ones I DON'T go to for work? First off, to wear the cosplays I can't wear at work conventions. Competing, not always, but I usually do one or two masquerades a year. Second, to buy stuff. I hate shopping online if I have an alternative and I budget spending money for cons versus "Oh, can't afford that impulse item this month or next" normally, so I still buy things I have to touch first. Third, panels. However I've gone to dozens of cons at this point and don't bother keeping up with new fandoms, so there's not a whole lot of panels that will REALLY interest me any more, except at CostumeCon. Last, seeing friends I only get to hang out with at cons since most live very far away from me.

The only thing that I have basically NEVER cared about at a con has been the guests. I can count on one hand the number of times I got excited for a guest and made sure to go their Q&A/autgraph. Or the video-gaming rooms. I don't care enough and I HATE being social when I play video games (I know, it's weird. But games are very much a "ME" time, not an "I want to interact with people" time. I'll lock my door, won't turn a game on with people around, and don't even play multiplayers, be it with strangers or friends.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Today, mostly for work. I work an artist alley/crafter table at almost all conventions I attend nowadays. And with that, cosplays have to be kept simple, no partying because 6-7 am wakeups, and little time for panels (and good god I am NEVER trying to run a table and compete in the masquerade again, even with a helper.) So, I'm there to make some money for making cool nerdy stuff in an environment that isn't soul-crushing retail. :P

As for ones I DON'T go to for work? First off, to wear the cosplays I can't wear at work conventions. Competing, not always, but I usually do one or two masquerades a year. Second, to buy stuff. I hate shopping online if I have an alternative and I budget spending money for cons versus "Oh, can't afford that impulse item this month or next" normally, so I still buy things I have to touch first. Third, panels. However I've gone to dozens of cons at this point and don't bother keeping up with new fandoms, so there's not a whole lot of panels that will REALLY interest me any more, except at CostumeCon. Last, seeing friends I only get to hang out with at cons since most live very far away from me.

The only thing that I have basically NEVER cared about at a con has been the guests. I can count on one hand the number of times I got excited for a guest and made sure to go their Q&A/autgraph. Or the video-gaming rooms. I don't care enough and I HATE being social when I play video games (I know, it's weird. But games are very much a "ME" time, not an "I want to interact with people" time. I'll lock my door, won't turn a game on with people around, and don't even play multiplayers, be it with strangers or friends.)

That's interesting. I myself am still fairly new to the con scene (only been going to cons for three years) so to think of a con as a work affair instead of a time to just have fun with people that like the same things I do is like, out there. Totally cool that you get to do this for a living but like holy shit man. I can imagine you get super busy.

Tumblr

Twitter
Unread 06-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #11
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.

This question was actually in my mind the past couple days since a friend of mine said she doesn't like going to Fanime anymore and even decided to skip this year's because every year seems to be the same exact stuff for her, and there isn't much else to justify the increasing badge prices over the years, especially in comparison with AX prices (which that I'm not *too* sure imo because of the amount of ticketed events at AX that are separate from the regular badge that all adds up... but this is already straying from OP's actual topic lol).

Cosplay has consistently been what I do at conventions since I might as well show off what I had been prepping for months prior. Hell, the reason why I got interested in conventions in the first place was of the whole cosplay scene and people dressing up throughout an entire weekend. Another main factor is just to meet new people and hang out with others, familiar faces or otherwise. We're already here for the convention, that's enough of a common ground for me to start talking!

Dealer's Hall + Artists Alley are also things I look forward to, albeit more excitement towards Artists Alley since a lot of Dealer's Hall stuff tends to be same-ish for most conventions (and especially online). Even though I don't have the budget nor space to buy much from these places, I always like looking what kinds of artists/vendors are in those halls and even do a bit of networking/socializing on the side.

Guests can be pretty up there, largely depending on who it is and if the lines and even sometimes prices for the signings are worth it. Panels are of the same level. These aspects of the convention are of the "they won't make or break the whole weekend" category.

Tl;dr, it's cosplay + socializing especially when I can treat the convention as my vacation weekend and relax.
Miriam ~ Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night | D.Va (Carbon Fiber) ~ Overwatch | Star Guardian Ahri - League of Legends

Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #12
WondererBailey
o3o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
1. Attention and praise.

Don't care about guests and I've got all the dealers-hall tchotchkes I could ever really want, which weren't many in the first place. The dance IS nice, but I'm old enough that it feels just a little awkward getting my shimmy on around teenagers--I love dancing and I'm good at it but eh. Nah.
The attention and praise is nice too...

Lushen - [Summoners War] - 40% / Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85%
/ Aizawa Shouta - [My Hero Academia] - Planning

2018 Cons: Kumoricon

W. Bailey Photography
Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #13
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
1. Attention and praise.

Maaaannn I feel those first two reasons. XD I am by no means the world's greatest cosplayer, but by the same token I am still a cosplayer, and it's nice having folks recognize your cosplay and compliment you. People asking to take your picture I'm sure is really nice too. Hasn't happened to me yet but I'm sure it will some day.

Tumblr

Twitter
Unread 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #14
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Mostly cosplay-related things, but it depends on the con a bit for me.

I give panels, and that takes priority over a lot of other things. I like to do photoshoots, but I tend to do these at larger cons rather than smaller cons (unless it's an impromptu thing or messing around with friends). There are cons where I do almost nothing but karaoke. Some cons I enter the cosplay contests at, and others around here have such bad contests that you couldn't pay me to enter. Some cons I like to show off my cosplays and let people take pictures of me, and some cons aren't suited for that. Very few cons I attend seem to have guests I'm interested in (not really into English VAs for the most part, since I don't play a lot of newer [or Western] video games and I don't watch dubbed anime). Some cons are great for hanging out with friends, and some cons are too hectic for that. I'll attend some cosplay gatherings, but there are some series that I avoid the gatherings for. At larger cons I'll usually walk around dealer's at least a couple of times, though at other cons I hardly step foot in dealer's. I always enjoy walking around AA and looking at art, though, even if I don't usually buy much.

For example, at Fanime, I'll mostly attend gatherings and show off cosplay during the day, and hang out with friends or sing karaoke until the wee hours. At AOD, I'll enter the cosplay contest, host panels, hang out, and attend panels. So it can depend.
Unread 06-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #15
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

Man, giving panels sound like a lot of fun. The only way I've been involved with a panel is when a friend of mine who was running his own pulled me on stage and made me sit there and do stuff with him since there was no one else on stage and he wanted someone to talk with. And I'm a big part of his community so he just kinda... did whatever. XD But I imagine running your very own panel is TONS of fun, I would be an absolute ball of NERVES if I had to run my own panel and had no friends with me.

Tumblr

Twitter