Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Question Rushing into Ideas/Cosplay Burnout?

Hi everyone,

I tend to get really great cosplay ideas, research everything to put them together, buy all of the things, and then get burnt out before I get to wear them to a con. I only go to two or three cons per year (because of a lack of time/money due to grad school), so for example: Fem!Link. I'm still very happy that I chose her and that I'll get to wear her in about a month, but I've been planning her for about ten months, and it's just not that complicated of a cosplay to require that much planning. Meanwhile, I have about four cosplays that I really want to make, but am sort of afraid to research much because I might get burnt out before I can actually make them.
Is this a common problem for beginners (this is only my third cosplay), and do you have any suggestions for how to satisfy the desire to plan cosplay without getting burnt out so quickly? Thank you!

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Saturday, May 28 as Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Sunday, June 28 as Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Sunday, April 12 as Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Helara
She had a foam arm.

I wouldn't say I am feeling burnt out bit it can be hard to get motivated. What I have found is it's all very well thinking of future ideas but since I have sunk money into buying a sewing machine and other materials for my current costume I have to make it. I just have to refocus on my current goal and find ways of motivating myself. Gym helps for me and recognising that I need a break to do other things is good. Today I went into the city and just relaxed. I've done nothing costume related today because I needed some pure me time. I can go back to it tomorrow a bit fresher.

Having a photo of me in a London convention cosplay promotion was one unexpected spur for sure! My Mum, yes I'm 32 but I'm very close to her, has an appreciation for what I do, most of my family do. It'd be great to complete my costume to get it to a cosplay convention back in the city in my familial home. So I guess having some reasons involving people I care about helps me.
Unread 04-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

I actually have a lot of projects going on concurrently. I don't know if it helps with burnout, but sometimes I'm not motivated to work on one project but will be motivated to put some time in on a different one. I have a couple of projects I've had in the works for years that still aren't done because I'm not always motivated to work on that specific thing, but i've gotten other things done in the meantime.

basically this just ensures my house is always a mess.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

^ Seconding the multiple projects thing. Somtimes I just don't wanna style a wig, but I'll be down to do some sewing. Sometimes I just really don't wanna add those complicated details, but doing another layer of paint primer is the right level of mindless.

Another thing I find helps is chatting with friends about your work as it progresses! Post in the "Anything that's on your mind..." thread here every so often. Send your sewing buddies progress shots. Scream into the tumblr void when stuff goes badly.

I find that the social aspect helps keep me on track, especially if I'm in a group. Seeing friends be 1/2 to 2/3 done when I've barely started can be a huge fear-inducing motivator close to con, and it's awesome to see other people get excited about your work when you do accomplish something major!
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY) Ver2: 56% (Weapon Work) Otakon 2016
  • Honoka Kousaka [jester] (Love Live!): 10% (Planning) Otakon 2016
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Penlowe

It all leads to this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg work table.jpg (77.9 KB, 0 views)
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
It all leads to this:
LOL every single one of my tables looks like that.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
Unread 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
ilafatyu
That guy

I was just having an issue like this. Turns out I was burnt out with sewing and just needed to change it up. Working on multiple projects keeps everything fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
LOL every single one of my tables looks like that.
My tables would definitely look like that if I didn't use the ironing board as my main table. The idea that everything jas to go away when I'm done keeps me in check.

facebook page // nh cosplay events
Next event: Free Comic Book Day

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Cloud, Zexion, Lie Ren
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Soren, Vaati
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post
My tables would definitely look like that if I didn't use the ironing board as my main table. The idea that everything jas to go away when I'm done keeps me in check.
I own my own house and live by myself, which is both a blessing and a curse. On the plus side, nobody makes me clean up my projects but on the negative side....nobody makes me clean up my projects.
Unread 05-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #9
Viveeh
mango puff

I realized I get tired of projects when I don't know if my plan is going to work. I found out the more I've learned to make things the less I get this feeling that I'm stuck on my progress. So the solution is probably to just keep making things and getting a routine for it.

I got really tired of this one costume after coating and sanding the 30th posterboard blade on the dress, it was sooooo boring! Make sure your projects will be interesting enough to keep working on them... DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafatyu View Post
My tables would definitely look like that if I didn't use the ironing board as my main table.
I don't have a crafting table either my stuff is all around the room. XD
Journey Traveler

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
It all leads to this:
Yet another here with a table that routinely looks like that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #11
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Thank you for your advice! I've gathered that it's quite normal to have more than one project going on at a time, and it's perfectly fine to do so. As someone who usually likes to perfect one step/item before moving onto another, this is pretty different for me but something I'll probably get used to. I've started a Cosplay Journal on Penzu, where I'm in the process of writing new entries for every cosplay I want to create. That way, I can research in my spare time and find everything I'll need when the time comes!
On a related note, I made progress for the first time in awhile for my current cosplay project! Took my first trip to Jo-Ann's and bought fabric to cover my hat. It arrived much brighter than the dress I'm wearing, but I found the perfect match to cover the hat!

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Saturday, May 28 as Fem!Link from Twilight Princess

Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Sunday, June 28 as Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Sunday, April 12 as Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseandzippin View Post
Thank you for your advice! I've gathered that it's quite normal to have more than one project going on at a time, and it's perfectly fine to do so. As someone who usually likes to perfect one step/item before moving onto another, this is pretty different for me but something I'll probably get used to. I've started a Cosplay Journal on Penzu, where I'm in the process of writing new entries for every cosplay I want to create. That way, I can research in my spare time and find everything I'll need when the time comes!
Cosplay has a way of doing that. In everything else I'm really compartmentalized: one thing at a time until the thing is perfect. Maybe crafting makes us all into ADD butterflies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
I own my own house and live by myself, which is both a blessing and a curse. On the plus side, nobody makes me clean up my projects but on the negative side....nobody makes me clean up my projects.
I'm the aggressively neat type who starts to get antsy when things are a mess. When I escape apartment life, my workspace will probably look magazine-cover clean. Until then, I keep reminding myself how rude it is to touch other people's junk.

Hehe. Junk.

facebook page // nh cosplay events
Next event: Free Comic Book Day

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Actively constructing : Cloud, Zexion, Lie Ren
Back burner : Absol gijinka, Soren, Vaati
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #13
EmiBubble
Professional Loli

I think this is one of the reasons on why so many cosplayers procrastinate till the last minute. Getting a calendar with clear goals to do every week is one way to combat this problem.
Unread Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #14
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiBubble View Post
I think this is one of the reasons on why so many cosplayers procrastinate till the last minute. Getting a calendar with clear goals to do every week is one way to combat this problem.
That's what I do. And, I don't take on more projects than I have days of the week available to work on (I generally have two or three days a week that I can spend working on costumes. So, no more than two or three at a time at any time.) I plan my new ones WAY in advance, but no starting on them until one being worked on now is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:01 PM   #15
WCMorpheus

I currently have four new cosplay ideas, but doing the recon and trying to collect all of the materials is where I get burned out. Most of the things I need have to be bought from a surplus store or online. Being kind of tall with long arms, it's extremely difficult to buy something online that will fit correctly, and there are no surplus stores within 40 miles of where I live. In addition, I wear a size 14 shoe, so I never know what will fit right. Since all of my costumes are drastically different, I don't have the luxury of recycling parts.

I also get kind of burned out when I see how much the materials will cost. My least expensive costume cost about $400.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/westcoastmorpheus
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote