Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-18-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Cosplays you can't believe no one recognized

Have you ever cosplayed a character who is really, really well known but no one recognized at a con?

I went as Akane Tendo in her karate gi for Kamen 2016, Ranma 1/2 is a really popular show here, even kids know it perfectly despite it's age, but surprisingly no one recognized my Akane costume at that event, a friend of mine asked me if I was cosplaying one of my characters, even there were like 4 or 5 Ranma cosplayers and apparently no one knew I was Akane, apparently Akane is not really known in her combat gi since that costume is surprisingly almost-not cosplayed despite it's the one that Akane makes more fighting with.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Blood_Sword
Pocket samurai!

I remember when my brother cosplayed Naraku from InuYasha to the biggest con we had in our country back then and no one recognized him, except for a few people in the small InuYasha group (which doesn't really count) which we were a part of.
We both were baffled, to say the least. I mean come on, the main villain from a really well-known series??
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...

It hasn't happened to me, but last NDK my best friend came with me and on Saturday of the convention she cosplayed Haruhi during the first episode of OHSHC. No one recognized her except for me (because she already told me who she was cosplaying as) and, interestingly enough, Lauren Landa. Ms. Landa was also nice enough to compliment my friend's cosplay and said she'd never seen anyone cosplay scruffy-looking Haruhi before. That was one of the many highlights of my best friend's day right there.

Tentative Cosplay Lineup for NDK:
Friday: Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online)
Saturday: Female Inumuta (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Fem!France (Hetalia) or Oddish Gijinka (Pokemon)

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!
http://www.respawnseries.com/
AlaizabelCray is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

Last year a friend of mine cosplayed as a Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Omega Ruby and no one recognized her. I was pretty surprised considering it was the newest Pokemon game and it looked REALLY good.
Unread 07-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
WondererBailey
o3o)/

The second time I cosplayed Cho Hakkai from Saiyuki Reload...someone asked if I was cosplaying Gaara ._.)

The other time was with Jack Walker, but he I can understand since he really only appears in the 9th Pokemon movie -shrug-.

But seriously? Hakkai looked like Gaara? That had honestly thrown me through a loop that weekend (Vic recognized me right away though, which at the time really made my day).

Edd/Double D - [Ed, Edd, n' Eddy] - 90% / England - [Axis Powers Hetalia] - 95%
Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85% / Castiel - [Supernatural] - 100% / Corrin (M) - [FE:F] - 10%

2017 Cons: Supernatural Con (Seacon)

Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
Respawning

I was surprised how often I had to explain that I was the new Thor at this last con. Not Thorette, not a gender bent Thor, just Thor. I know not everyone follows all comics, but it was actually on a lot of news stories because it was a bit of a controversy (the nerd boys were butt hurt), but I still had people questioning.

Past costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie, Morrigan, Tiefling Sorcerer, Morrigan of Dragon Age, Thor Goddess of Thunder
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri

part of Pixelated Cosplay group on Facebook, cathartic_creation on Instagram
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #7
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
The second time I cosplayed Cho Hakkai from Saiyuki Reload...someone asked if I was cosplaying Gaara ._.)
well, they're both voiced by akira ishida so maybe they were trying to make some kind of opaque joke about that, or they were familiar with his roles and got the character names mixed up... otherwise, no idea.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I get surprisingly little recognition in my tactical-suit Kusanagi cosplay. I don't know if it's because Ghost in the Shell is no longer in the "popular" crowd (I know Stand Alone Complex aired a good decade ago but the GitS series seems to be one of the more timeless-classic-type animes that doesn't really fall into obscurity...), or because that outfit just isn't that liked/recognized compared to the white "stripper battle teddy" one that she's usually seen in (and I'd never wear...). It bums me out quite a bit because I'm really damn proud of my workmanship on that costume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

First timeskip Morgiana from Magi. ._. By the time I wore her, the anime had reached that point in the manga so people should have known what she looked like. And there were Magi fans EVERYWHERE(I wore her dancer outfit earlier in the day and kept getting stopped). Even at the Magi shoot a few people were confused to who I was.

Also, at this year's AnimeNext, I was cosplaying Amber from RWBY with a school uniform Velvet. No one seemed to know who we were. I could understand Amber a bit more since the outfit was from one scene but Velvet!? The school uniform is pretty distinct and she had huge ears.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
Swiftstart

Jack Frost x.x
It's his pre-blue hoodie outfit, but I have white hair and the big stick soooo...?
Unread 07-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #11
AkiJudaichan

One of the years I went to momocon I dressed as Launch from Dragon Ball, and not even the DBZ cosplayers knew who I was. I know she's in only one episode of DBZ, but she is in so many seasons of Dragon Ball that at least one Dragon Ball Z fan should have recognized her.

MomoCon 2016
Thursday: Marinette (Miraculous LadyBug)
Friday: Sei (Dramatical Murders)
Saturday: Ventus (Kingdom Hearts)
Sunday: Sei or Marinette

DragonCon 2016
Most likely cosplays: Marinette, Ladybug (Miraculous LadyBug) Any of my more comfortable cosplays.

AWA-Con 2016
Most likely cosplays: Titus Alexius (Magi), Marinette, Ladybug and one of my other cosplays (Undecided)
AkiJudaichan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
WondererBailey
o3o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
well, they're both voiced by akira ishida so maybe they were trying to make some kind of opaque joke about that, or they were familiar with his roles and got the character names mixed up... otherwise, no idea.
Oh wow, see I didn't know that....which if they were trying to make that joke it would have still thrown me through a loop xD.

Honestly, I was more confused than bothered by it. Makes for a fun story though.

Not sure if it's irony or just a coincidence but I had been tossimg around the idea of cosplaying Gaara at the time....still am....but Supernatural has a very firm hold at the moment.

Edd/Double D - [Ed, Edd, n' Eddy] - 90% / England - [Axis Powers Hetalia] - 95%
Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85% / Castiel - [Supernatural] - 100% / Corrin (M) - [FE:F] - 10%

2017 Cons: Supernatural Con (Seacon)

Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
Yog0

Not exactly the situation but I did a cosplay of a FFXIV class (Ninja). It was an incredibly cheap cosplay (long black shirt, long black pants, ski mask with a rabbit in a black mage costume on top). FFXIV is a MMORPG so it is less likely to be recognized and the cosplay was shabby HOWEVER at one con I did get 3-4 people who recognized the 'fail ninja' (you mess up your mudra a bunny appears on your head).

Then I went to another con and had 8 people ask me if it was Monty Python related and no one got the FFXIV reference. :/
Yog0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
0palHeart
Midwest Cosplayer

Early on in my Cosplay Career a lot of the cosplays I did were a lot more 'normal.' One of those was Rose Tyler form Doctor Who. Now Granted when you're walking around in normal pants, a specific shirt and no wig you kind of blend into the background against all the other amazing costumes. Especially since not everyone watches Doctor Who, which is fine.

I do have one of her outfits though that is really distinct and iconic for her, a purple and blue patchwork shirt form the beginning of the second season. Walking around no one knew who I was, I would even run into people cosplaying Doctor Who still weren't sure who I was. Or thought I might be someone but wasn't sure. It really confused me because it's kind of an iconic Rose Outfit. Specially since I'd been to that come before and been noticed for what I felt were less iconic outfits.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3593584/
(For reference)

2016 Conventions
Anime Milwaukee 2016 (Passed)
Nebraskon 2016

Upcoming Cosplays
Natasha Romanoff (Full Body Suit) (90%)
Renaissance Black Widow (50%)
Realistic Esmeralda (80%)
0palHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #15
Quinn the Shiki
He Married that Geranium

Sakyo from Yu Yu Hakusho. Like I ran into other YYH cosplayers there and I get he's not a major character but...still it was disheartening.

Shuu from Hatoful Boyfriend. Literally one person recognized that and it was in mcdonalds but I thought for sure there'd be more

Kurama from Kamisama kiss. I wore him when the anime was still pretty new but the episode where he debuted was the week of the con.

And now that I think about it, Kashima from Gekkan Shoujo. I wore her to a comic convention but still it was in the heart of Gekkan shoujo popularity.
Raffaele Laurent Bessette-The Young Elites(New Outfit,) Revis/Levi Baskerville-Pandora Hearts, Peggy Carter-Marvel's Agent Carter, Jessica Jones-Netflix's Jessica Jones, Noah Czerny-The Raven Cycle, Rintaro Okabe-Steins;Gate, Chuuya Nakahara-Bungou Stray Dogs, Gilbert Nightray-Pandora Hearts, Hugh the bee boy-Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Graphic Novel version,) Cynthia-Pokemon,
Quinn the Shiki is offline   Reply With Quote