Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
MrKnight

Cosplay things you regret

Me, I'm commonly a cosplayer that uses airsoft props and I made one mistake a few months ago. I let my friend bug me into buying an M4 prop off him, now this wouldn't be a prop except for one main thing it was metal. I usually use props that are made of ABS plastic so the weight is off and their sturdy enough that I can drop them or carry it easily. He would not stop bugging me to take this off him and stupidly I did for 80 bucks....

The worst part about it is that it was for the upcoming NYCC and we all know what happened there. Now I've got a metal M4 airsoft prop in my closet that I know I won't be able to use for many cons (I doubt they'll let me into katsu or ota with it) with no idea what to do with it.

What about all of you?
MrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
SA2R
King of the Skies

Maybe good for a private photo shoot? It's rare to find a con that allows any kind of airsoft at this point. That is what I do with my airsofts anyways~
As for me~ I have sold a few costumes on the marketplace, that I wish I still had. I am thinking of re-making a couple of them, but I still miss them ;w; I take comfort in knowing they went to loving homes though XB

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
milkcosplay

in the same realm of dropping too much money on a cosplay prop, I definitely regret paying $80 for a scissorblade at the beginning of this year when i cosplayed ryuko from kill la kill. i had a bunch of weird experiences with people at that con being creepy to me, which kind of made me not want to wear it again, and even besides that the outfit itself was really poorly made--me and my boyfriend's first time trying to actually sew anything ourselves, so you can only imagine how it turned out. i'll never wear it again and i don't really have any interest in remaking it for another con, considering 1) there are always so many Ryukos at any given con anyway and 2) I'm not even really into kill la kill like I was back then. so… the scissor blade is kind of just rotting in my closet right now, tbh. i've tried to sell it, to no avail, and i definitely regret paying so much for it when i have no intentions of ever using it again :<
milkcosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Paying nearly $200 for boots for a costume. Organization XIII which meant the black knee-high boots, and I had looked EVERYWHERE and was so fed up I was willing to pay nearly anything. So I dropped that much on fancy genuine-leather boots from a boutique. And what happened? I retired the costume after three wears, and found out that the boots are WAY too uncomfortable to wear in daily life (I take a LOT of walks, especially since I don't have a car and have to walk to the bus/transit stops at least five-ten minutes when I go out) so I HAVE to have comfortable shoes. Those things gave me blisters inside an hour while cheapo walmart shoes give me no trouble and last me ages.). So they've been sitting in their box in some portion of my house, for FOUR YEARS. I can't sell them because anyone initially interested balks at the ridiculous shipping prices from Canada and doesn't live nearby for an in-person pickup, and though I have outfits to match them with, they're too uncomfortable OR too "take care they're expensive" for 99% of the occasions I'd take them too.And because they were so pricey I won't alter them into anything for cosplay. So I'm just going to be stuck with the damned things for god damn ever.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Does giving away my last sewing machine count? I only used it for cosplay purposes anyway, so....I got one for Xmas and gave that one away..Regret it like a mofo..That machine was amazing, but I didn't realize the one my mom got me was a beginner one and like the one with the worst reviews..lol It is terrible..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Eldi
Sneak thief

I regret selling a few of my wigs that I later found cosplays I might want to use them for, but you never know what you'll want in the future and I didn't want to hoard all my wigs forever :|
I also regret starting my TERA cosplay after only playing the game for a few months, because I played it a lot for a little while but now I hardly play at all. But I've bought 90% of the supplies so I feel obligated to finish anyways
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends

Cosplays in Progress:
Alice in Wonderland (Halloween!)
Elin Sorcerer- Tera Rising
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Cocoa- Is the Order a Rabbit?
Eldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi View Post
I regret selling a few of my wigs that I later found cosplays I might want to use them for, but you never know what you'll want in the future and I didn't want to hoard all my wigs forever :|
I also regret starting my TERA cosplay after only playing the game for a few months, because I played it a lot for a little while but now I hardly play at all. But I've bought 90% of the supplies so I feel obligated to finish anyways
OH!! Wigs yes wigs!! I regret fully the act of selling my last Kyoko Sakura wig..Mostly because I'm almost done with making a cosplay of her now..lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
ghostkomokhiru
Too tsundere.

so many cosplays i regret buying since i'll NEVER use them....

link, it was like 135 dollars.
serena, it was like.... um.... 150?
hatsune miku was like 120
and my first stocking anarchy outfit was like 90 haha. uwu all cosplays i'm never gonna use and never really did use.
Rock your Disney Side- Vanellope von Schweetz
Anime Expo- Anarchy Stocking, Madoka Kaname, Mew Ichigo
Kumoricon- Anarchy Stocking ((Angel and school)), Mew Ichigo
Rose City Comic Con- Rainbow Dash, Vanellope von Schweetz
Halloween- Fionna the Human
Tokyo Disneyland- Vanellope von Schweetz
ghostkomokhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi View Post
This always happens to me. X_X It has gotten to the point that I'm only selling off wigs that do not look good with my skintone and I'm just hoarding the rest of them.

I've also regretted making certain cosplays because of how they turned out in the end, like Tamaki, Yui and even genderbent Rin. :/

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

I sometimes end up regretting cosplaying a series with friends for a character I don't like too much, just so we can be the same series. It just sits in my closet.

Cons Attending
[Anime Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
WCMorpheus

I use an airsoft Gamo PT-80 for my cosplay prop. It's just a pellet gun, but looks mighty real from a distance.

A couple of years ago at SDCC, an overzealous toy cop thought he could make a name for himself at my expense.

I was coming down the large escalator as the show opened, and a security guard saw my holstered Gamo, which I already had checked with the proper authorities before hand. As I'm stepping off the escalator, he walks up to me and asks, "Did you get that weapon checked?" I replied, "Yes, and I have the stickers to prove it." I reached to show him, and he forcefully blocked my hand, and tried to hammer lock me, as if I was going to draw the weapon and start shooting. Once he saw the rainbow stickers, he felt like the horse's ass that he is, and tried to justify his actions as, "Well, it looks real." If he was cool about it, I wouldn't have been upset, but he was a d!ck... and there are a great deal of security people at SDCC that get off on their fleeting authority.
Unread 10-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #12
Aziro

This is something I regret because of my lack of reading. The first time my friend and I cosplayed sailor pluto and sailor saturn I made our props. They actually turned out rather nicely except for the fact that I used never drying clay. However I didn't realize it was never drying clay. On the way to the con my AC in my car went out and the texas sun made it about 102 in the car so I ended up having melted props all over my car. It was a mildly horrifying experiance

Future Convention Guest Appearances:
~TexanCon
~ Texas Vintage Toy Expo
Aziro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
kandell

I regret not wearing my costumes more....I only have a handful of cosplays that have been worn to more than one con :/ And I can't bring myself to sell my costumes just yet, so it seems like a huge waste of money to have stuff I likely won't wear again just sitting in my closet.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandell View Post
I regret not wearing my costumes more....I only have a handful of cosplays that have been worn to more than one con :/ And I can't bring myself to sell my costumes just yet, so it seems like a huge waste of money to have stuff I likely won't wear again just sitting in my closet.
I have this as well. Often because I separate my costumes when I get home from a con (props go one place, plain clothing back into regular circulation, clothes into the closet, etc.). It took me an hour to find all my Goku stuff that I had worn just three weeks prior.
Zoro - One Piece (Eventually)
Ippo - Hajime no Ippo (Eventually)
Hody - One Piece (Eventually)
Free - Soul Eater (Otakon 2013, Completed)
Goku - Dragon Ball Z (Otakon 2014, Completed)

My Facebook cosplay group - Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Ilafatyu
That guy

I regret not doing a more thorough mobility test with the blazer I bought. I can't stretch my shoulders at all. I can't wear it. Waste.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 75%
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 0%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote