Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
phoniefly

How do i go about starting to cosplay

Hello i am new to cosplay and i need help going about how to make patterns and stuff like that i have a few characters in mind that i would ilke to do. Was wondering if i could get some pointers
phoniefly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
WondererBailey
Bailey's Cosplay

Research, that's the big thing really...if it's a costume that has been done before, then I'm sure there are tutorials. Looking up how to draft patterns is another thing, if you're looking to make your own patterns. Another way is to check out the patterns at the various fabric stores or walmart. Sometimes you can find an already made pattern that'll suit your needs.

But yeah, it's all about research -nod nod-

Judal - [ Magi : The Labyrinth of Magic]
Progress:
-wig: Needs styling & modifications
-scarf: COMPLETE
-shirt: 25%
-pants: COMPLETE
-jewelry: COMPLETE
-wand: 90%
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Roaringtide
Crashing Wave

Pick what you want to do first. If you chase two rabbits at once, you won't catch either. There is something out there that sings to everyone's souls that finally gives them that final push to start cosplaying. You just to find your muse :3.
Roaringtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Naiagu
That one cosplayer

Everyone starts somewhere. Store bought patterns might be a tad hard to read if it's your first time. Take a look at tutorials for those. On where to start I think grab some old pants, shirts stuff you probably will never wear again and pay close attention to how their stitched and where they are stitched. You can probably use an old shirt that fits you snug as a base for a starter pattern depending on what you want to do.

Check out tutorials on deviant art or here. See how others may have done their versions of the outfits you want to do. Ask cosplayers. Usually they are very friendly and willing to help give you tips. It'll get really frustrating but don't lose hope when you get there. It happens to everyone.

I know a cosplayer who wraps herself in plastic wrap and then puts cheap masking tape on top. She'll draw on the masking tape the shapes she wants for the pattern and just cuts it off and uses that. It'd be a bit hard to do that on your own though.
Sayaka (Puella Magi).......Progress 5%
Haruhi (OHSHC)..............Progress 100%
Ruby (RWBY).................Progress 80%

Cons for 2014:
Sac Anime Winter, AOD, NorCal Gathering Spring, Kraken Spring, EBRC Picnic, Sac Anime Summer, NorCal Gathering Summer, Yaoi Con, Japan EXPO, Jtown Magical Girls Gathering, Kraken Winter

Contact me: Tumblr, DA, FB Fan Page, Skype: Naiagu
Naiagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Amanita

If you're new to sewing, you can try cutting your teeth on some simple projects- shorts, pajama pants, really basic things for everyday/around home use. That way you get some sewing practice to build up your skills and confidence, and if something doesn't work out quite right, it's no big deal.

Reading beginning sewing tutorials online is good, likewise checking out some books from your local library- there are books out there aimed at beginning sewers. Do you have friends or family who sew, paint, or otherwise craft? Those people can be very useful if they're willing to teach you.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Research is the key. Cosplay is 50% mental after all. The more planning you do before hand the better the outcome and the less time wasted.

I would suggest going to your local library first. They will have loads of books on sewing. Pick a few up that focus on basic Technics.

When picking your first cosplay don't get ahead of yourself...select something within your skill level. Meaning a character with a simple design.
Unread 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Visiting a thrift store is never a bad idea. You can find similar clothes to adjust, cheap sewing notions, fabric, sewing books/magazines, and old patterns not available in stores anymore. (I've found patterns from the 40's!)
These days I get most of my notions, patterns, and books from the thrift shop.
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/

Last edited by EvilLittleKiss : 07-02-2014 at 11:42 PM.
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
Downwinds

Hey there!
I'm very new to this too and have just recently gotten started making my first costume. Obviously I can't give you much advice, but I would just say to choose someone you think is cool but also has a relatively simple outfit - particularly if you're not experienced at sewing/making clothes. To me at least, it seemed a lot less daunting to just buy some rather plain clothes and add trims and stuff rather than sew it all from scratch. Would love to see how you get on!
Downwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
Cosplay_Rose
Gold Rose Cosplay

I just wrote up a thing about how to start a cosplay here.

TL;DR version: Pick something to make, break it down into parts, plan out each part (materials, method, etc.), research, do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiagu View Post
Store bought patterns might be a tad hard to read if it's your first time. Take a look at tutorials for those.
I don't have anything on drafting patterns, but for reading them: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

I hope those help!

Program Director at Kin-Yoobi Con
Cosplay_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #10
phoniefly

Thank you all for the advice i really appericate the one thin gi do have is sewing experience. It isn't much but i still know the basics of thing and i havea family friend that makes civil war reenactment dresses all the time. I'm so sorry for just now getting back to all of you guys i really appericate the help.
phoniefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoniefly View Post
Thank you all for the advice i really appericate the one thin gi do have is sewing experience. It isn't much but i still know the basics of thing and i havea family friend that makes civil war reenactment dresses all the time. I'm so sorry for just now getting back to all of you guys i really appericate the help.
It's always good to have somebody around IRL who can give you advice! I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked nicely!
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote