Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 12-19-2016, 03:27 AM   #1
ThatOtakuGalaxy

Cosplay gaming

hello! i hope i do not seem very rude.. but im looking to cosplay the other color...

https://66.media.tumblr.com/eb2d2182...43z4o3_250.png

im Doing Syrup from the game" Syrup and the ultimate Sweet" which is one of my favorite short games to play, i was wondering if anyone had tips on cosplaying the other color...?
ThatOtakuGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
kandell

Do not alter your skin tone to another existing skin tone. It's one thing to paint yourself purple, but it's a completely other (an inappropriate) thing to darken your skin the way you're looking to do it. That's called brown- or black-face, and it's racist (stemming from the "golden era" of Hollywood when minorities were so shut out of the performing arts that television and film companies would cast white actors to play minorities, and paint their skin often in a caricature, stereotypical way).

If you want to cosplay a character that's another race, that's completely fine. Make their outfit/accessories/props as accurate as possible, but do not alter your skin tone.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
Dronzin

Opinion will vary a lot on this subject. There are a couple topics on internet forums (including this one) with this very topic in mind.

See below:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=267508
http://www.aminoapps.com/page/cospla...or-for-cosplay

This kind of goes into the realm of "Is it okay to cosplay a character whose body composition doesn't fit my own?" since it relates to body image and could potentially offend people.

From what I've gathered, the majority seems to think that it would be a bad idea to change the color of your skin to a different, yet still realistic tone. This is probably due to what Kandell said above - you end up looking as a Hollywood black-face stereotype.

Personally, I'm someone who tries to resemble the character as closely as possible, no matter the cost - be it body modifications, skin coloring, weight gain/loss, etc. So for me the answer is you should do it.

But doing it in good taste proves difficult as you must ensure you cover all of your bases i.e. your neck, your ears, the folds of your eyes, inner nose, hairline, and other places you would probably forget of doing. Neglecting the finer details will cause you to run a higher risk of offending someone.

In terms of actually doing it for yourself, you just need to decide on the color you'd like, and the type of paint you'd like to use. You can use liquid based paints, powder based, or even latex. They each come with their own advantages/disadvantages. I can't make any personal recommendations for brands, though. I would just stay clear of anything you might find at a Halloween or costume/party store.

Last edited by Dronzin : 12-21-2016 at 03:56 AM.
Dronzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #4
Miss Mace

Honestly you'll probably offend people either way. If you color yourself, it's black-face and racist, if you don't it's white-washing and racist. You'll probably irritate way more people by coloring yourself though (and it's more work). Dronzin has a good point, in that if you do it, at least do it well.

Personally I wouldn't. I'd like to do Bumblebee in the future, but I've got no intention of trying to match her skin color or the look of her hair type. I feel it'll come out way more tasteful if I just match the costume and props with an equivalent hairdo.
Rose Quartz (band t-shirt)
Green Lantern (OC)

Currently Working On:
Discord (anthro) - Designed, horns started, tail fabrics & wing foam found
6th Doctor (female) - Partially designed
Starfire (the Terrible) - Partially designed

My Etsy Shop: Clever Kraken
Miss Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
belligerent
Viking Metal

so i looked at the image, squinted a lot, then looked up the game and the rest of the characters.

i guess in comparison to the other characters in the game, the character is "dark skinned," but it looks like a fairly medium tone with a lot of red in it to me. i would probably go outside to get more of a tan if i cosplayed a character with a similar skin tone (because i'm really goddamn pale) but it seems like artificially darkening your skin via makeup in this particular case would definitely not be worth the effort or the backlash.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, England, Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo, Prussia, Shintaro Midorima, Aragorn
Dudes I will be eventually: Guts, Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

The hairstyle and outfit seem distinct enough that fans of the game would probably recognize you without doing brownface. Dronzin is right- darkening your skin would be more trouble than it's worth even without the racism issues.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote