Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Unhappy When your favorite store closes FOREVER!!!

Has this ever happened to you? You have a favorite store where you buy your fabrics, your cosplay shoes, your wigs, your props or accesories materials... And suddenly it's ut of service and lets you without a cosplay supply you needed more than everything!

This happened to me recently and it still hurts me, there was an anime store in San Jose that sold cosplay wigs, there were not wigs for parties, for hairstyling... But specifically for cosplay and at the right price! It was perfect! I bought two wigs to this people, the best I ever had, then I found out they closed their store to become an online store, it was a terrible hit to me since I have no credit card to buy online, and the only remaining physical store that sells cosplay wigs is in Heredia and I have never time to go there, so I had to buy party wigs again

Did something similar happen to you?

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

pretty sure this one was a major deal for many cosplayers in the us.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Yeah. Before I moved a month ago, I only had Hancock Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart to get fabrics. Hobby Lobby has limited selection and is expensive and Walmart's cloth quality SUCKS, so Hancock was my only source. Then they closed. Luckily, where I moved has a JoAnn, which is what I prefer, honestly.

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
WondererBailey
o3o)/

But imagine the sales.... *-*)

Anyway, Ive always lived near a JoAnns and the one time they closed the one in my hometown I wasn't into cosplay at the time so it wasn't a huge loss.....until it was a few years later when I was getting into cosplay lolsob.

But now I live in a town that has a JoAnns, Michaels, Lowes, and a Craft Warehouse....-shrug-

Lushen - [Summoners War] - 40% / Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85%
/ Aizawa Shouta - [My Hero Academia] - Planning

2018 Cons: Kumoricon

W. Bailey Photography
Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #5
belligerent
Viking Metal

there was a hancock in town i could easily drop by on the way to work. closest joanns is about an hour and a half away.

also the sales weren't that great, alas. all the big ticket stuff went first but it was only discounted like 10% so if you waited until they dropped it all to where it was a good deal, there wasn't much left that was useful. i did get about $200 of a wool for $40 but that's the only major deal i got and that was only because it wasn't something other people wanted.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2017, 05:40 AM   #6
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
it was a terrible hit to me since I have no credit card to buy online
Is credit card the only available payment method online for your country?
Unread 07-06-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

A LOT of cosplayers in my city stocked up when one of our three stores closed down as of last month. They liquidated pretty much everything (including fabric that had been in their storage since the 60s) so many, many people bought a butt-ton of fabric that they didn't realize they needed. I heard tales of lines 3-4 hours long to cut fabric and pay.

So now we're down to Fabricland and a warehouse-type place. If the warehouse place ever closes, half the cosplayers in my city will flood the streets with tears.
Evelyn (The Mummy 1999)
Haru (Persona 5)
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

The wig I'm wearing in my icon was from cosplay-wig on ebay. It's quite the old wig now and is thankfully mostly okay but could stand to be replaced in the next couple of years...but the shop closed down and now I can't find a replacement I like. (Arda has a similar style, but I don't like the bangs or thecolor selection as much...I guess it's better than nothing though)

I loved that wig shop and wish it didn't close down :[
Unread 07-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Ugh yes the demise of Hancock was a kick in the balls to a lot of cosplayers.

I scrape up some rare hours at Joann's now (when commissions are too spaced out and bills gotta get paid) and I know the fabric inside and out, and they just cannot compare. The knits are poly-cotton instead of pure cotton and have a sagging problem, the Country Classic cottons shrink like a motherfucker (seriously don't buy them), they carry absolutely zero wool, and their twill selection is a joke. On top of that, I can confirm that they just jacked up the price-per-yard on most fabrics anywhere from $1 to $10. All the licensed cottons went up to 11.99 and some of the denims shot up ten bucks. It's a real dark time for being able to buy the fabric you want at a decent price, because if you want to buy online but need to feel the fabric or color-match, swatches are prohibitively priced most places.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote