Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-27-2015, 03:55 AM   #1
spirituspolypus

Your dream cosplay tool kit? Or, gift ideas for a prop builder

Hey all! I signed up just to make this post. If you can think of any other forum where I could post this, gimme a heads up. It's already going on r/cosplay and Therpf.com. More input streams would be great.

I've got a friend that loves cosplay, especially prop building and "bulky" costumes like armor, mechs, etc. His dream cosplay would be Robo from Chrono Trigger. BUT, he doesn't have much by way of supplies, especially useful tools and quality extras (think spirit gum [though I'm pretty sure he has that]). He's incredibly talented and deserves some nice tools to streamline his building process.

I'm customizing a toolbox for him for Christmas, and I'm looking for some ideas of what to put in it. Other than an ridiculously sharp utility knife, what would y'all recommend? To put it another way, what would be in your dream cosplay tool kit?

Thanks in advance!
spirituspolypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-27-2015, 04:41 AM   #2
Roo17
Mummy Gnu

Depends on your budget, and what he already has

But the tools I use all the time are my Dremel, and hand-held electric sander

A good knife sharpener is really useful too

In terms of materials, you could maybe get him some worbla to try out or thermoplastic granules.
Unread 08-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Seconding the dremel and hand-held electric sander. The thermoplastic sampler could be super fun too! My one friend also swears by tin snips for cutting thermoplastics; says it's one of the best investments he's made in his 6+ years of cosplay.

It sounds like you're going more for tools, but since he's an armor guy, maybe consider primers too? Gesso, wood glue, maybe a spray-paint primer for actual paint coats. Along with that, one of those large packs of foam brushes you can get for $2-3 at Walmart.

You could also consider electronics tools-- wire cutters, wire strippers, wires themselves, soldering guns... makes for fun LED and lights work, if you think he'll take that route eventually.

Besides that, a heavy-duty snap punch is super useful for making armor straps, and an eyelet punch would also be a great addition for pieces that need to lace up to stay shut!
  • Labelle (Animal Crossing New Leaf): 19% (Sewing) AniMore 2016
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 28% (Sewing) Katsucon 2016

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Roo17
Mummy Gnu

Stars - you are a genius!

I already HAVE a heavy duty snap punch and all the snaps..... but I didn't even think of using them on the (many, many, oh so many) leather straps on the armour I'm currently working on.

I was going to buy a zillion buckles, but this is a much better idea. Quicker to suit up and take off too. I just need to make sure they are in the exact right place as there won't be any tightening room.... and they won't look quite as "fantasy armour" ish but they'll all be at the back anyway and mainly covered by his cape.

Thank you!

OP - sorry for taking your thread a little off track.... as you were
Unread 08-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Roo17-- no problem. And if you're clever about hiding the snaps, no one will ever see them! (A good paint job can hide particularly obvious ones if they need to be in a visible spot too, but I used them all over my Magic Armor and no one has ever noticed).

To steer back on track then, a pack of said snaps might not be a bad investment, as well as a handful of eyelets in various colors/sizes, and some leather cording for lacing.
  • Labelle (Animal Crossing New Leaf): 19% (Sewing) AniMore 2016
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 28% (Sewing) Katsucon 2016

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote