Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danteisagenius View Post
I sort of do have the issue Lithium Flower spoke of; I really dislike the medical field. I took an AP Bio class and still have nightmares about it! (I did great in the class, just don't care for the subject.) Also, blood makes me queezey, or at least veins do!
One thing that helped me a lot when trying to narrow down what to study in college was thinking about what I didn't like. Maybe that will prove useful for you too!

For example, I'm with you about being slightly uncomfortable with blood (at least, seeing it come out of a person); but I'm fine with it in a tube. AP Bio was one of my favourite classes, and I did really well in it-- so I'm now thinking about bioengineering as a field of study. I don't think I would handle being a doctor well, so why even consider med school? Though I like that sort of science, medical treatment is one offshoot I'm not interested in, so I can rule it out and keep looking.

Think that over while you take some electives/gen ed stuff, and you'll be all right! Remember that you can always change your major too. Good luck. <3
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danteisagenius View Post
I sort of do have the issue Lithium Flower spoke of; I really dislike the medical field. I took an AP Bio class and still have nightmares about it! (I did great in the class, just don't care for the subject.) Also, blood makes me queezey, or at least veins do! I do however agree that I may never find a job I love. Really I am looking for something that has good growth, I don't hate (highstress+me=bad), and that doesn't consume my every waking hour. A community college to broaden my horizons is starting to sound better and better!
OTOH - there a lot of things that fall under the category of medical field. Some of them don't even involve dealing directly with patients, let alone their bodily fluids. Public health, clinical trials, X-ray/MRI technician, hospital administration. Many of these positions are high-paying and intellectually challenging. They all contribute to patient care. Some people might find that more fulfilling than selling shirts (not that there's anything wrong with selling shirts - I hated working in sales and was really really bad at it.)

Oh - and don't take out student loans!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Re:Student loans
At least not if you can help it. Even if you have to skip semesters to avoid taking out loans, do it.

I had around 25-30k covered in various grants and scholarships when I applied for fancy ass art college. This alone could cover your courses for community college several times over.

Keep in mind the financial aid counselor mislead me (lied out her teeth) about what it would cost me to attend and I had around 30k in out of pocket payments I'd have to make so I told them to suck my nads and canceled all my classes before school even began.

Fuck dat noise.

But you can get a good amount of money through scholarships and grants! If you're going to a community college those grants could even pay for your entire schooling, depending on how many classes you take and the like. If you're family makes below a certain level each year you are also eligible for a grant specifically for low-income households like I was. At the time my mother was unemployed so our household income was incredibly low.

Here's a sad little fact: Student loans are higher then credit card debt and the only payment you will still be responsible for paying off if you file bankruptcy.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

The best advice I would give to 18-year-old Jia would be to tell my parents to STFU and that it's my life and no, they are not going to bully me into going into college right away. I wish I had taken a shit job, lived in an apartment, dicked around for a year or two, and then when that became boring and I had more time to think about it, I would be more serious about school, what I wanted and have more direction in my life.

I think parents of a certain generation are brainwashed into believing that college is 100% THE ANSWER and that by getting a 4-year or more degree degree is THE WAY (and only way) to achieve any sort of decent life. It is complete bullshit, and people here have already discussed why. It also sucks trying to convince parents of this, when they can easily threaten to cut you off or kick you out if you don't do what they want you to do with your life.

It took me 6 years to get my 4 year degree precisely because I was waffly for the first 2 years, not knowing exactly what I wanted, changing degrees, and just "going with the flow".

Not to say I didn't have fun in the meantime, but looking back I think rushing myself because my parents were pressuring me was a waste of my time and ultimately their precious money.

Of course, the flip side will be watching your friends go off to college while you stay behind to carve a different path - or not, you could always go apply for a dream internship right away, you don't need to go through a school official to do that! I think I was programmed to think that college = success, and no college = failure, but I wish I could go back in time and open my eyes to other opportunities that neither my highschool nor parents considered viable options. (And therefore, I didn't think about.)
Unread 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Lithium Flower
Handphones

So what Jia means is she wishes she had my life.

/snicker/
But for reals.
Nothing is wrong with taking your time and gathering up some life experience before making the huge leap and financial choice to decide what you want to do with your life RIGHT NOW.

I really cannot believe schools are still telling 16 year olds that if they don't know exactly what to do by the time they graduate they're going to slip into a fit of despair and be homeless forever. Or whatever it is counselors do now a days.

You've had like what...1/50th of the life experience that people who have fulfilling careers do? How can you possibly be expected to know in your teens what your life is going to be like 30 years from now?

Sit back, enjoy being young and carefree, and not having classes to pay for.

I just laughed out loud when I realized Jia had a quote from me in her signature. I don't think I've felt this kind of honor since being praised by the fallen hero's in Sovngarde.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

To throw in my two cents about the medical field: it is very hard to find a job in the medical field, and it's severely underpaid.

I agree with Jia Jem: some (if not most) kids need time off between high school and college to figure things out for themselves. I was pressured into college by my mother, so I went and dropped out my first year. I got a job, then lived on my own for some time before realizing a minimum wage job (that wasn't even paying me legally) wasn't enough to live off of, so I went back to school. I'm now STILL in school with a few more years to go working towards an accounting degree.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.

Last edited by ThakYuki : 08-24-2012 at 05:09 PM.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #22
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
To throw in my two cents about the medical field: it is very hard to find a job in the medical field, and it's severely underpaid.
Ehhhh, maybe it depends on where you live. That's certainly not been my experience. As a general rule, health care workers make more than in other fields. Even the custodial staff at a hospital makes more because the stakes are higher - if they aren't good at their job, people die. Just read an article about this, but can't find it now, sorry. So take my word for it or don't! Though it is true that with potential big changes in healthcare, insurance, Medicare, etc., the field may change a lot.

I also think that taking time off between high school and college is an excellent idea.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
Kildread
I can fix it!

I see you're listed as from the USA... as such, I would tell you not to go into College (or other degrees) unless you are sure of what you want. Because everyone tells me high education in the USA costs a hefty amount and you don't want to take loans where you are. If you don't know what you want, you might as well look into having a job before you decide what you want to study in.

As for the field... uh, you're the only one that knows what you enjoy, just don't make a silly choice like medieval history and wonder why there aren't job offers raining down the skies.

I'm not really the kind of person who'd say to "pick something you like", I would tell you "pick something you have a future in".

That means it's a study field that is both in demand and you have a basic talent in so you don't struggle to keep a job in the field or get hired in the first place (Be realist so you can make the difference between "I like doing this" and "I'm good at this"). Regardless of ideals, you'll need money to survive later in life --- and a good job is integral to that.

To know what you have talent in, well, look at your interests, then explore possible future jobs that use those. Although I admit this line of thought applies more easily to jobs that don't require you to succeed via creativity or the whim of people (Anything arts, writing, etc... stuff that is meant for entertainment rather than producing a usable ressource). Those fields are hard as heck to succeed into.

Last edited by Kildread : 08-24-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #24
Aeternus

"Low stress decent job"? Hate to break it to you, but any job will carry its fair share of stress. Of course, it's all relative. For example, a paramedic trying to revive an unconscious person and rushing them to the hospital is probably experiencing a lot more stress than, say, a person trying to sell clothes at a retail store. However, I've worked a basic job like a grocery store cashier to my current and definitely more complex job as a hospital bedside nurse, and I've been stressed in both jobs. All employers want the most bang for their buck, and so will demand the very best and the most they can out of their employees, and that's stressful!

That being said, I've got to echo a lot of what's already been said in this thread.

1) Choose something that will help you get an actual job in the end. It used to be that, if you had a degree - any degree - you were pretty much guaranteed a job, even if it wasn't within your field (for example, my dad has a Bachelor's degree in history, but got a job as a science teacher and then an accountant, but that was like 40 years ago). NOT ANYMORE. Nowadays, you need to know what career path you want first, and then choose which educational requirements you need for said career path. The job market is oversaturated with people with degrees, so employers can be a lot choosier about who they hire, and they will choose the people with the right qualifications first.

2) That being said, be realistic about job prospects. For example, one of the reasons why I became a nurse was because there is a need for nurses, no matter where you go, and the hospital I work at is so short-staffed that I have excellent job security (of course, I wanted to be a nurse for other reasons too, not just for the job prospects!) But, I've known people get degrees in the fine arts and ended up still working in retail or sorting beer bottles at the liquor store. In general, programs that are more about application (i.e. engineering, business, nursing) have better job prospects than more theoretical programs (i.e. the "pure" sciences, psychology), the arts being an exception. If you want to do something artsy and creative, just keep in mind that you'll have to work extremely hard to get head-and-shoulders above the crowd (because there a lot of arts students in any college/university and in the world in general) to get yourself noticed, to build the right connections, and as a result, do well and potentially land yourself a job.

3) College is not the be all, end all. As people have mentioned already, you do not necessarily need a degree to get a job. One does not need a degree to fix a car as a licensed mechanic or to work in a kitchen as a chef. There are many jobs out there that are better suited for apprenticeships or community college diplomas. Look up some community colleges and flip through their program listings and see if anything sounds interesting to you.

4) Definitely don't go into something you'll hate or regret, despite the two points above. Life is too short to do something you hate for a living, unless you absolutely must to scrape by.

5) As some others have said, look at your strengths, your likes and dislikes. All of that will help you decide. For example, when I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronomer. I found out that you needed a lot of math and physics to be an astronomer, and I hated both so I figured I'd head down a different path. Then, I found I was good at biology and actually enjoyed it, which partly led me to nursing. Also, I like doing hands-on stuff and being able to move, rather than sitting at a desk all day. I'd hate an office job, I think.

6) Think outside the box. Just because a specific career is thought of one way doesn't mean there aren't a dozen other ways it can be done. I'm going to use nursing again as an example because I'm most familiar with it xD The traditional idea of a nurse is at the bedside in a hospital, caring for very sick people. However, nurses fulfill a vast array of positions, such as organizing services in the community, public health nurses, nurse educators, nurse researchers, and some even playing more political roles, such as in unions or other organizations. Another example would be a cousin of mine, who has majored in 3D animation. In the course of her career, she's created short films shown in film festivals worldwide, worked on video game animations in Japan, and taught 3D animation at a community college.

7) Take your time to think about things, but my suggestion is not to wait too, too long. There's no rush to dive into college right out of high school - I knew several people who took an extra year in-between - but I've found that people who have been out of school for 2+ years find it quite difficult to go back to being a student. It's just a big shift in gears, so to speak.

P.S. Sorry for the wall-of-text D: I just know/ have known so many people who have gone down different life paths and, thanks to Facebook, know where they've ended up so far. In some cases, people have done some brilliant things, while in others...it's, well, less impressive.

Last edited by Aeternus : 08-25-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #25
spiritualizes

Well I'm going to be a senior in high school this year, so I'm not sure what college is really like, but don't stress too much about it. Yes, you want to do well in high school and on your standardized tests and extracurriculars but you should also have time to just be you and do what you actually enjoy. Also, not everyone knows what they want to do in life. I happen to think I know what I want to go into, but I have friends who have no clue. I think you just have to find what you really enjoy and go with that - as long as you keep trying new things you'll come across something, somewhere down the line, that you can see yourself doing in the future.

I understand the stress, but honestly, don't worry too much. It won't help you at all. Just be conscious of what your doing and do your best! No one can really tell you what to do with your life.

sakura haruno, shippuden (naruto) 70% | morgiana (magi) 75%

spiritualizes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #26
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

If you're not sure what you want to do, just take a break from school once you graduate. You won't automatically become a failure in life because you take a couple years to find your passion.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #27
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jia Jem View Post
The best advice I would give to 18-year-old Jia would be to tell my parents to STFU and that it's my life and no, they are not going to bully me into going into college right away. I wish I had taken a shit job, lived in an apartment, dicked around for a year or two, and then when that became boring and I had more time to think about it, I would be more serious about school, what I wanted and have more direction in my life.

I think parents of a certain generation are brainwashed into believing that college is 100% THE ANSWER and that by getting a 4-year or more degree degree is THE WAY (and only way) to achieve any sort of decent life. It is complete bullshit, and people here have already discussed why. It also sucks trying to convince parents of this, when they can easily threaten to cut you off or kick you out if you don't do what they want you to do with your life.

It took me 6 years to get my 4 year degree precisely because I was waffly for the first 2 years, not knowing exactly what I wanted, changing degrees, and just "going with the flow".

Not to say I didn't have fun in the meantime, but looking back I think rushing myself because my parents were pressuring me was a waste of my time and ultimately their precious money.

Of course, the flip side will be watching your friends go off to college while you stay behind to carve a different path - or not, you could always go apply for a dream internship right away, you don't need to go through a school official to do that! I think I was programmed to think that college = success, and no college = failure, but I wish I could go back in time and open my eyes to other opportunities that neither my highschool nor parents considered viable options. (And therefore, I didn't think about.)
THIS.

My parents pressured me into getting a degree.... when I really did not know what I was doing. I now have an honours degree in Communications. Then they thought I should be a teacher - HINT: Ontario has WAY too many people wanting to get into that career.... so yeah, bad idea.

I later realized I wanted to help people with disabilities... and well, the Communications degree did help roll me that way - I will admit that much. They pressured me again and I started at University in Psychology. Now i'm heading to college for Developmental Support worker.... which will later translate into an honours in disability studies.
Now, it isn't a total waste of tons of money. The classes from my Comm. degree will fill in holes for a degree in disability studies - as will my classes in Psych. Having an honours in Disability studies means later on I can go for my Masters and later on a doctorate... which I would like to do after I have money coming in.

I did not know what to do with myself until i was 27. Sometimes it just rolls that way.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
yumi_shika

hmmm, had the same thought, I was going to take on Fashion design course because of my hobby in cosplay and fashion and stuffs, yet in the end I'm now doing my clinical rotation on my way to be a doctor. the way I see it, if you don't like anything in particular, you won't hate anything in particular too, so just roll in something that's a profession, so no one can "fire" you from it. doctor, lawyer, are some example.
yumi_shika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #29
Danteisagenius
One. Crazy. Bat.

Thanks everyone! It's great to hear from people who have gone through this or are facing a similar situation! Everyones posts have been so helpful; I feel loads less stressed having been able to do this. Exercise is really the only thing aside from breathing (my innner artist is very used to containment..) that I MUST have, so working a job and doing part time college could certainly work out. This way I could get basic classes out of the way and worm in some cash. The thing about taking a year off is that I would lose out on so many scholarship opportunities. I know I can suffer through just about anything, even if it isn't "fun." I guess I am sort of like Yumi Shika said; I don't really like much and probably wouldn't hate whatever I do (as long as it has some perks!). My parents keep telling me that they know I'll give my all to whatever I do, even if it's not so fun.. Once again, thank you everyone for the time and thought you all put into this; I seriously do feel so much better. You're all so helpful!! Me and everyone who has to deal with my "mental meltdowns" are so greatful!

- sincerely, the Opportunist.

2014 Projects (Clickable):
-Yoichi Hiruma Genderbend (Eyeshield 21)
-Vergil Genderbend (Devil May Cry 3)

__________________________________________________ _____________
My Webpages:

Facebook (Where I actually update my photos...)
World Cosplay
CosCure
Danteisagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

The posts about tell me two things. One, no one can tell you what to do, all they can do is tell you what they've been through. And two, fate has a way of deciding for you.

I've know people to take the wait course and never went to college, even though they meant to. I've know people to go right to school and get right out with there degree. The most notiable was the kid that took 6 years to get through high school because of math and had a BA in 2. He then went into the Army and became an officer, the good kind. I've know people to go to college and never get a degree.

I will say this, whatever course you take, don't lose sight of your goals/plan. If your going to take a break, fine. Decide what your going to do during that time and how to pay for it, weither it backpacking through Europe or working at the local grease pit. If your going to go to school, fine. Start with an Associates of art or science. Both will get you jobs where they want people with degrees. It basically shows your willing to study and work independently. Above all be carefull with your money. There is community college, there are extention branches of state colleges, (the cost of a state college, the prestiege of a college, the class size of a private school) and there are tech schools. Whatever you do, done go to a private school if you don't know what you want to do with you career. Private schools are good for specifics (like really kick fine arts programs or doctorates or whatever). They are the namebrands of schools. And don't go main branch State College. If private schools are namebrand then main branch state college is K-mart blue light special(huge classes, taught by grad students, never see your prof