Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 08-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
wwcrites

Don't Think Diet

No really don't think diet, think change of habbits. I cut most of the sodas and breads reduced my serving sizes at each meal. I'm not starving myself, just keep myself satisfied. Also trying to avoid fried, going with baked or grilled when I can. I lost ten pounds before I realized it, then another eight. But if i thought of it as a diet it would kill me. But I started off at 224lbs, and now I'm down to 206.

Will

Unread 08-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Congratulations.

When I say diet, I think of the "habitual food intake" definition. Yes, I'm on a 'diet', but I am by no means starving myself or eating only protein/cayenne pepper/water/air. I eat plenty of yummy healthy food with the occasional treat thrown in. Not the fastest way to lose weight, but I'm back down to 120lbs after ballooning to 170lbs with my pregnancy. More importantly, since this is a sustainable lifestyle, I have kept the weight off with no additional effort.
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
MetalArtisan

Fo realzies, man. We have this unfortunate idea in our country of a diet being a temporarily tool used to lose weight, rather than essential aspect of our overall lifestyle.
And good for you on cutting out soda. That stuff'll kill you.
MetalArtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
RainingEri

I've never thought, "I'm going on a diet." I grew up with the notion that diet was your eating habits, so to me, the thought has always been, "I'm cleaning up my diet." And I have!

I've been off of sodas and sugary things for so long that I had a lick of cake batter yesterday and it tasted like dirt, it was so sweet. I do occasionally have a tiny bit of sugar in something like tea, but it's always either a very little bit, or Truvia or Splenda, whichever happens to be in the house at the moment.

I've started making my own foods as well, which helps, mind-set wise, for me to care a bit more what's in it and I do not eat boxed meals anymore like Hamburger Helper. The only things I eat that come from cans either are vegetables, fruit, and tomato soup cause that stuff is freaking delicious (although I do want to find a recipe to make my own).

So, yeah, no fads, just a much healthier diet than what I previously ate. Yay!
RainingEri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Kiro

Limited my intake of take-out food and lost my first 20 lbs without even trying. Started replacing carbs with vegetables and lean protein. Combined with some exercise (just enough to replace the walking I usually do during the school semester), I've lost about 14 lbs this summer alone. Went from my 202 lbs peak to my present 168 lbs.

So yeah, it's a lifestyle change that works if you commit to it.

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
Katsucon?
Otakon
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
wwcrites

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingEri View Post
I've been off of sodas and sugary things for so long that I had a lick of cake batter yesterday and it tasted like dirt, it was so sweet. I do occasionally have a tiny bit of sugar in something like tea, but it's always either a very little bit, or Truvia or Splenda, whichever happens to be in the house at the moment.
Same thing happened last time I had a Mt. Dew, tasted like pure sugar with a bad after taste. My wife uses Splenda because of her diabetes. So, I drink allot of ice tea made with it.
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Elita-1
Dat supersaiyan swagger

Excellent work! That's exactly the right kind of idea to have.
I know so many people who go on whatever diet they read about on the internet and either fail or lose the weight then stop the diet and gain it all right back again.
'Diets' are temporary solutions, which would of course mean temporary weight loss.

Last year I was almost 140lbs, just weighed myself this morning and i'm back down to 124 at 5'7, and like most people here the first ten pounds seemed to just melt off of me when I cut out the soda, the Mcdonalds, the chips and other salty snacks. Food that had been staples of my diet now became the occasional treat, adding in exercise like swimming and weight lifting and jumprope made the remaining weight come off easy.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

~There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life. ~
Elita-1 is offline   Reply With Quote