Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 05-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Bovice

Gluten Free

Gluten-free has become a pretty large fad over the years, and for certain individuals, it is definitely needed. (as some people have an illness that doesn't agree with gluten)

But the way it's marketed and talked about, a lot of people avoid gluten as if it were the plague, when only those select individuals need to worry about it at all.

Came across this video this morning which pretty much agrees with how I've felt about the subject since the whole fad started. Hopefully it helps someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjpb7SFi3s
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
MaiCosplay

I'm tired of seeing gluten free too when searching for recipes. When the top 5 results are all gluten free. -.- What does that even mean. ( I already know)
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
MaydayParker

I hate seeing stickers on milk and fish touting how they're gluten free.
MaydayParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #4
TitanSlayer000
Eh

I hate it when people hate on gluten free things. I mean, people don't hate on peanut free or dairy free things. You don't have to eat it.
It wasn't enjoyable having to see my friend in pain and worrying about whether she'll make it to our games with her stomach problems (we can't play without her). I'm glad she figured out what it was and that she knows to avoid gluten now. I have one other friend who eats all gluten-free food but it's not as bad for her, although dairy is. I'd rather buy a special box of gluten free crackers for a party than have to see my friends in pain because there's nothing for them to safely eat.
It just makes me very angry when I see people talking about how they hate all the gluten free options. Would you say the same thing about special nut free food?

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
MaiCosplay

Quote:
I hate seeing stickers on milk and fish touting how they're gluten free.
Gluten is primary in bread products.

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 05-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Unread 05-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
BiohazardBeauty
Moved to LadyChernobyl

Personally, I don't get the gluten free fad, but I can't consume wheat without getting so sick I end up in the hospital. I'm actually thankful for gluten and dairy free ice cream because I'd lived ten years without having ice cream and man. Nope.

So I don't see an issue with it. It's healthier too I suppose?
(tho my 'gluten free dairy free' ice cream is loaded with sugar ehuehueheuhe )

Next Convention: Phoenix Comic Con
BiohazardBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #7
Aqua~Flora

I'm thankful for the gluten free options. I'm not sure if I have an issue with gluten or just wheat, but either way, having gluten-free items available in stores (even if they're super pricy) is great.
Gluten free recipes are nice, too, though I think it's rather unnecessary on some. You'd be surprised what has gluten in it/can be cross-contaminated by it, though.

It being a trend doesn't really bother me - I am thankful for the variety now available commercially because of that. It's quite likely that a lot of people do have problems digesting wheat and/or gluten. Why not let them eat what they think is best? There's so much contradicting food info out there anyway. And for the people who are doing it to lose weight, maybe they DO have a problem and eliminating it WILL help, maybe it won't. It's hard to know without trying. (I lost five pounds after I stopped eating it, though I also wasn't eating very much at the time due to antibiotics messing up my stomach (also why I started having serious problems with it since I didn't before, I think), so I'm probably not the best example.)

For the people who DON'T have a problem, though, it's really unnecessary, more expensive, and often GF products are loaded with sugars, oils, and fillers to make them taste better or have the right texture. I don't quite understand why someone would go gluten free as a diet choice if they don't suspect intolerance/allergy already for the above reasons.
Unread 05-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Bovice

Quote:
Why not let them eat what they think is best?
Oh they can lol, I just find it annoying the way people jump on the latest fad w/o doing the slightest bit of research.

99% of the people on gluten-free diet can't even tell you what gluten is if you ask them, then they go recommend it to other people and spread a bunch of BS. So while it's a personal level decision for them, they're still spreading BS to others. It's pretty annoying.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
Oh they can lol, I just find it annoying the way people jump on the latest fad w/o doing the slightest bit of research.

99% of the people on gluten-free diet can't even tell you what gluten is if you ask them, then they go recommend it to other people and spread a bunch of BS. So while it's a personal level decision for them, they're still spreading BS to others. It's pretty annoying.
I kind of wish people wouldn't talk about it that way, because it makes it sound like people who actually can't eat gluten are only doing it because it's "the thing to do". I dislike how it's become a fad when there are people who are actually upset by their limited diet.

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

the point was that its being touted as some sorta healthy living or weight loss deal,
and its not,
i agree that its nice to know if something is gluten free or whatever else
especially if you have food related issues

my bigest grip is when products tell you its whatever free, then you look at what
the product is and say "when the heck did it ever contain that"
(cant think of product to specify, its just one of those things that come up when i shop)
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
MaiCosplay

Off Topic: That kind of reminds me of Subway with the yogamat fillers and kellogs with their gmos and almost every thing containing hfcs. Its like you shouldnt have had it in the first place.