Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeFEST

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #46
PuyoDa
killer of tofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roocrow View Post
Biggest complaint: What the hell was with the schedules. This was the first and only year that I have been to a con with the schedules that were printed in a small font, awkwardly folded and had little to no organization beyond the days and times that the panels were held.
^This. The schedule was pretty hard to read and find things on.

Badges: I know it's been said already, but I thought the badge was too big. The codes took up a small part of the bottom, so I'm not sure why the rest of it is so huge.

Registration: I showed up on Saturday and got in the Pre-reg line. I noticed several people switching lines because they didn't know they were in the wrong one. It wasn't obvious that the lines were by last name because the signs with the letters were hung too low.

My friends and I registered online the day before, and their badges were found, but mine wasn't? They asked me to step out of the line, and wait at the door at the side of the registration booth. So... I just waited there for a while... until finally someone poked his head out and asked how he could help me. I'm still not sure what happened, and why I had to wait there. Wasn't a fan of this experience.

Dealer's Room/Artist Alley: No issues here. I thought they were great.

Anime Music Video contest: I always like this at AnimeFest. I like that the videos are filtered down, that there's very little intro/announcements, and that it actually starts and ends on time.

Cosplay Skit: We were seated near the back, and it was kind of hard to understand what was being said. The sound wasn't very good.

Overall, I had fun though. Oh, and every time I went to a water station, there was actually water and cups there. Hurray for keeping them filled!
PuyoDa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #47
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaruhime View Post
I have to agree with this in that it seems like people are always confused about why others won after every convention, no matter where the convention is. Sometimes when I'm watching a contest, I wonder myself, but then I realize that I'm not the person who judged all of the costumes. There were many details that I never saw. It can be really hurtful when someone reads on a forum that people say they didn't deserve to win. Also, one person's opinion of "amazing" is another person's opinion of "meh, average" and vice versa.
which is why it's always nice for people to say WHY someone won instead of just winning.
because people in the audience can't see what the judges saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
Maybe you are referring to the Hall Cosplay judges? Because them I do not know, and have not seen any of their work. But based on what I said, the 3 that were judging the Cosplay Runway, I did look into, and I have seen their works, and they were in no way qualified, none of them met all (if any) of my requirements. Of course, that is purely my opinion, I'm sure there are a lot of people who think just anyone will do, or think that those things don't really matter, but from my perspective, what I mentioned is the definition of a qualified person, and those 3 weren't.
I completely agree. I might have too high of ideals for cosplay judges, but unless you've won a major award at a major convention, you're not worthy to judge, but again that's me. I rarely enter now unless I know the judges are qualified. Which is why I LOVE anime matsuri's judges and the competition. If I don't win, I know why, and if I win, i'm REALLY lucky (and put a lot of hard work into it).

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #48
ChibiBritt
The Chibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post

I completely agree. I might have too high of ideals for cosplay judges, but unless you've won a major award at a major convention, you're not worthy to judge, but again that's me. I rarely enter now unless I know the judges are qualified. Which is why I LOVE anime matsuri's judges and the competition. If I don't win, I know why, and if I win, i'm REALLY lucky (and put a lot of hard work into it).

I agree with you to an extent here. Some of the best and most talented and qualified people, people with actual DEGREES in fashion or costume, don't always compete. You don't have to compete and win a ton of awards to know what you're talking about. Have you ever stopped to think maybe these people don't care to be in the limelight? They just know their craft and enjoy doing it for the joy it brings them? And "not worthy"? Wow. Not going to even go there...

Now if a con is bringing in a "cosplay guest" then sure they should probably have something to back up the claim of being worthy enough for being a guest. That's where maybe awards or notoriety might come into play.
Cosplay Staff/Panelist for A-Kon
Ani-Idol/Voice Over Idol Director for A-Kon, AnimeFest

Last edited by ChibiBritt : 09-07-2012 at 03:25 PM.
ChibiBritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #49
ladysuki1289

Hello~!

I want to start this off by saying that this is my first convention, so I didn't really have that much to compare it to. I only went to the con on Saturday, and I have to say....it was pretty awesome for a first timer.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to the choir, but I have to agree with everyone else: registration was ABSOLUTELY insane. I wasn't even aware that we could purchase single day passes online until THE DAY of the con and after standing in line for an hour, I hear a staff member yell out: "You can register on your cell phone right now and go to Will Call!"

After both my boyfriend and I did this, we went over to Will Call....and promptly waited another 45 minutes. So almost two hours into my first con and I hadn't even gotten a badge to go do anything? Is that how that works? O_o

Problem Two: The schedules. I had a huge problem with them. They weren't correct half of the time for any of the events and I had NO idea when ANY of the special guests would arrive or what days they would be there or anything like that. I was SOO excited to see Arina and I didn't even get to see her, since I didn't know what day she would be there or when. That's not cool at all. I didn't pay $35 plus almost $100 for a costume to play a guessing game. Maybe it was just me; perhaps I didn't look properly but the stuff wasn't there.

On top of that~! Things were not on time. I went to the room at 5 where Ramen & Rice where supposed to be, and the schedule said SOUND CHECK. I leave, come back at 6, and Ramen & Rice are already putting up their stuff to go. Wtf? The schedule said there was a sound check for almost an hour and now they're gone?! Again, maybe this was me not paying attention, but then again, shouldn't there be some sort of "HEY, Ramen & Rice are about to start!" IDK....

Other than that everything else went pretty fine and dandy. I regret not getting a corset from that beautiful stand in the dealer room but I got their business card, so all's well that ends well.

Last edited by ladysuki1289 : 09-07-2012 at 04:38 PM.
ladysuki1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #50
Merides
Now with cosplay ADD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KibaEdward View Post
Everyone else summed the negative pretty well, I feel.
So, I'm only going to address the one thing I haven't seen here that I have a problem with.
WEAPONS CHECK
Are you kidding me?
Two different Hawk Eye(Avengers) cosplayers had legitimate hunting bows WITH the draw strings still attached. One of them I saw actually loading a arrow, notch on string, and pulling it back. WITH REAL ARROWS! If his hand slipped and he let go, someone could have easily been SERIOUSLY INJURED!
http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=...afest#/d5dhkdk
And he did get weapons check and had the bright yellow zip tie.
They were so anal retentive about even checking people's prop staffs and canes that they let actual weapons into the convention area and gave them okay to be used.
Thank you from going from Weapons Check to Prop Check and not actually doing your job.

-rant over-
Don't know if it's been said before, since I've only read page one... This guy's bowstring was elastic. His bow was made from plain wood, and his arrow tips were plastic wire tip covers. He's a friend of mine, and it's a VERY safe replica bow. Check your facts. The bow doesn't even come back from the 'pulled' look - it's shaped that way. You can carry it around by the (stretchy) elastic string and it'll just flop around.

I cosplay Merida (Brave) and I had a working bow- Weapons check made sure I didn't have my bowstring on me. I left it in the room, since my bow IS a legit bow. PLEASE check your facts before you start bashing weapon's check. They did a fantastic job - DEFINITELY better than A-Kon (who BROKE my Merida Bow!!! Don't get me started about that)
Onicon, Ikkicon

Wip cosplays:
TOO. MANY. COSPLAYS.
Newest: Tanyuu from Mushishi

Merides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #51
gamegirl222
Screwed in the head

My only complaint was that there really wasn't any sort of photoshoot space other than the Cancer Survivor Plaza, and I swear to God we're all lucky that World War III didn't happen when the Homestuck, Hetalia, AND My Little Pony Photoshoots got scheduled for the same time there.

I ended up hosting my Kuroshitsuji [Black Butler] photoshoot in a corner on the second floor of the convention center, which worked semi-okay, but there were a few rather rude people that decided to walk through our shoot and sit down against the wall in the background, making it hard to take good shots, plus I was constantly worried that we were going to end up in the way and get in trouble with staff.

A photo room with scheduled times might be nice in the future.

Last edited by gamegirl222 : 09-09-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: I accidentally misspelled Homestuck
gamegirl222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #52
Seroth

I had a lot of fun at the con. It was a delight to have so much room at the Sheraton since I'm used to the enormous A-Kon crowds there.

I did not go to any panels or shows, so I cannot comment on them.

My biggest complaint was with registration. I was in line Friday afternoon, and wasn't really sure if there were supposed to be multiple lines or not. There were people who had just arrived that had already caught up to me, though I had been waiting in line for over an hour. It was pretty confusing when it was all bunched up at the convention center entrance.

Despite pre-registering, I did not receive a Program Book, which kinda bummed me out. I had to settle for those silly tiny-text, single-sheet schedules from the info booths.

The large badges were initially off-putting, but it wasn't really a big deal since I could sort of fit it in my back pocket (when my cosplay had back pockets).

The selection at the dealers room was kind of disappointing, namely because I could not find any video games besides a small stack of Gameboy games in one booth.

Still lots of fun, though. I found plenty to do, even without going to the panels or dances.
Seroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #53
TacoKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegirl222 View Post
The dating game actually ended up like that because someone [I believe it may have been a staff member, but don't quote me on that] told contestants beforehand that we had no events after us and could run as long as we wanted, then came back later after the first and second rounds took their time and were very entertaining, and then told us we had to end in 10 minutes or so because there was a premiere after us.

My only irritation concerning the whole thing was that someone accused me of "rigging" my round... **facepalm** I always sit on the end for a reason, so I have time to come up with witty answers. They assumed I had pre-planned everything so I'd be chosen.
Well, the dating game was scheduled to start at 10:30, with the room available at 10 for setup and whatnot, but the host was late and it didn't get started until 10:50. We pushed it right up to midnight, and then the Lupin screening was scheduled for 12.
TacoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #54
Wuffers
Let me count your crimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamegirl222 View Post
My only irritation concerning the whole thing was that someone accused me of "rigging" my round... **facepalm** I always sit on the end for a reason, so I have time to come up with witty answers. They assumed I had pre-planned everything so I'd be chosen.
Hun, the reason why that was said was because to a trained eye, you were answering the questions far too quickly, even for the standards of being the character of grell as well as for being last. To those who have been in past dating games, your round felt a little too perfect.

I hope you can understand this and can forgive those who might have and did think that the round was rigged.
Wuffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #55
hellkitty3939

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativedreamer View Post
My first afest... Thoughts.

As for the intermediate winner in a bikini, I looked closely at her armor, and then questioned her about it. It was hand sculpted, sanded to near perfection, then silicone molds were made of them, THEN casted those pieces really well. Plus a very clean paint job. It may not seem impressive to someone who has not learned the skill, but what she had was far superior than foam armor. I understand what went into it, its actually more impressive than my full set of armor that I entered with.

her cosplay was amazing!! there were a lot of great cosplays, it was hard to talk to the judges as I'm rather shy.
hellkitty3939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #56
gamegirl222
Screwed in the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuffers View Post
Hun, the reason why that was said was because to a trained eye, you were answering the questions far too quickly, even for the standards of being the character of grell as well as for being last. To those who have been in past dating games, your round felt a little too perfect.

I hope you can understand this and can forgive those who might have and did think that the round was rigged.
It's okay, I can understand.

Before the day even began I had preplanned possible questions and answers in my head in advance (regarding my opinions on demons, Grell's work as a butler, sadism, masochism, contract marks (I actually had a contract mark tramp stamped on myself in case something applicable came up) and other things.

I had an inappropriate description of my chainsaw already prepared so I was able to apply to the first question, the second one was a whim of luck, and the third one was roughly a question I already had in my head.

Most of my interactions with The Master next to me was me stalling for my answer so I could think.

^^;;; sorry if it seemed too perfect, but I'm an actress and I wanted to put on a good show for everyone. Guess I tried too hard ^^;;
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #57
TR Rose
Meowing About

@gamegirl222: Don't apologize for having a good round of the dating game. For goodness sake, you did really well in the round and made it very entertaining - and for a game that is improv based, there are always some good rounds and there are some stinkers. GOOD FOR YOU that you planned ahead, had answers thought up, descriptions of your prop, etc. I wish MORE people would do things like that!
The idea that because you did so well meant that you "rigged the game" is ridiculous. There are usually rounds that are pre-arranged to put certain characters together because it makes a better show. It's not a contest, there are no prizes. The only prize is an entertaining show for the audience. You gave that in your round, and don't you dare be sorry for it.
I've been in many of the anime dating games before, and NEVER have I once heard anyone given grief for having a good, fun round. For goodness sake, people need to get over it if they're giving you a hard time for doing well thinking on your feet. Don't let this dissuade you from playing again, we definitely need as many funny, quick-witted people up there as we can get!

My favorite part was when the Master was talking about how *hungry* he was, and you said something like "Stop whining, go get some Taco Bell". Unexpected and hilarious.
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #58
gamegirl222
Screwed in the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Rose View Post
@gamegirl222: Don't apologize for having a good round of the dating game. For goodness sake, you did really well in the round and made it very entertaining - and for a game that is improv based, there are always some good rounds and there are some stinkers. GOOD FOR YOU that you planned ahead, had answers thought up, descriptions of your prop, etc. I wish MORE people would do things like that!
The idea that because you did so well meant that you "rigged the game" is ridiculous. There are usually rounds that are pre-arranged to put certain characters together because it makes a better show. It's not a contest, there are no prizes. The only prize is an entertaining show for the audience. You gave that in your round, and don't you dare be sorry for it.
I've been in many of the anime dating games before, and NEVER have I once heard anyone given grief for having a good, fun round. For goodness sake, people need to get over it if they're giving you a hard time for doing well thinking on your feet. Don't let this dissuade you from playing again, we definitely need as many funny, quick-witted people up there as we can get!
Thanks ^^ Improv has always been one of my strong points, I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Rose View Post
My favorite part was when the Master was talking about how *hungry* he was, and you said something like "Stop whining, go get some Taco Bell". Unexpected and hilarious.
Lol I amused myself with that one. Johnny is hilarious.
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #59
Merides
Now with cosplay ADD

LOL @ Gamegirl... You know where *I* stand on this game! At least you weren't up against the Ponies!!!! You, my dear, did fantastic, and that's because you're literally the best Grell actress out there. It doesn't hurt that you're prepared at all.
And yes, Johnny is the most amazing Master cosplayer on the Planet.
Onicon, Ikkicon

Wip cosplays:
TOO. MANY. COSPLAYS.
Newest: Tanyuu from Mushishi

Merides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #60
gamegirl222
Screwed in the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merides View Post
You, my dear, did fantastic, and that's because you're literally the best Grell actress out there. It doesn't hurt that you're prepared at all.

Aww **warm fuzzies**