Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Canada Cosplay

Unread 08-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Otouto

Wink Kingston, Ontario Area Cosplayers?

Just seeing if there are any others in the area, as it's a pretty artsy town.
Otouto is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Me me me me! So happy to see someone from the same city. For an artsy town there's a serious lack of cosplayers (lived here nearly all my life, been cosplaying since 2006... and most cosplayers I meet here are usually weeaboos in the ultimate sense or snooty, holier-than-thou elitists who scoff at anyone who talks about cosplay. At the best they're only here for college...)

...also, we do have some spectacular photoshoot locations. As evidenced here... http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/196429/
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Otouto

Speaking of artsiness, I've been so wrapped up in portfolio stuff I forgot to check back for replies! That's awesome! Most people I meet who cosplay here are a bit on that side, yes, but I've also met few and far between (except a few friends who've recently moved elsewhere). I'm sure there are a decent number around for the town size given all the students, just not sure where they're hiding!

But, yes. Good to see at least one.
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
MDA
Destiny Productions

I live an hour from Kingston out just North of Belleville! I'll be heading there for the K-Town cosplay day organized by Deadkoibunny

Btw, I think this year she plans to have it the same day as the Zombie Walk..

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

That's on October 6th, right? Provided I don't get something coming up, I'll be going ^_^. Though I was just going to do a normal cosplay (I miss wearing Aoi and Molly Millions won't be done in time, so I figured I'd spruce him up a bit and wear him again). I don't have anything that works for a zombie. Same location as last year?

(And mentioning such, OP, I suggest coming on over to it! It's pretty well the only event in Kingston each year for cosplayers to meet up. I dunno why Kingston hasn't put together even a small anime con yet...)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Otouto

I didn't know there was a meet-up here! Where can I get the info on it?
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
MDA
Destiny Productions

Still waiting for Bunny to get it figured out 100%. I think she'll be making a Facebook for it.

And yeah, as far as I know it'll be the same location. I'm not 100% sure on that.

Xikyu, you do know a zombie is easy to make right? Buy stuff from thrift store, throw red paint on it, slash it, dirty it... wow I've made too many bloody and zombie-like costumes xD

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yeah, but thigns have come up where I'm not even sure I can afford to finish the cosplay I'm working on, to say nothing of making a one-occasion only costume (my Halloween one's made from stuff I already had and is almost done). And I don't like zombies. Dirty and gory and bloody aren't for me. (If it were a separate occasion all together I could toss together a zombie defense league soldier, but I've been looking forward to rewearing one of my favourite older cosplays for the cosplay day).
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
MDA
Destiny Productions

I'll have Halloween Town Vexen. Zombie, but not "OMG THE GORE AND BLOOD AND DIRT!" Kind.

Think Nightmare Before Christmas

2014 Cons/Events:

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

At any rate, if there's a regular cosplay day followed by the aforementioned zombie walk, I'll at least be around for the regular cosplay day.
Unread 09-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
MDA
Destiny Productions

Yeah, its supposed to be during the day before it I think. I need answers from DeadKoiBunny about this XD

2014 Cons/Events:

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
Otouto

Well, fill me in when she tells you. Zombie sounds nice and easy, considering most of my more casual outfits are getting a little worn for wear.
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
DeadKoiBunny

Sorry, I've been completely scatter brained lately.
Hi Otouto, I'm from Belleville but started hosting K-Town cosplay day last year.

Facebook page is up for K-Town Cosplay.
I'm aiming to have it the morning of the Kingston Zombie walk (which i think they changed the date) ... October 20th .... I think it'd be fun to meet up with some of the zombies and could make for some good photos too.
I'm putting location this year to a vote... though wandering around last year was fun.
DeadKoiBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
MDA
Destiny Productions

Indeed. We found some good locations at night thanks to Xikyu That haunted alley made for excellent photos!

Event page:
http://www.facebook.com/events/10673...roup_mall_plan

I can't wait! I need to get stuff to rip and paint on for HT Vexen. I want something warmer this year. Rider was so cold T_T and I'm pretty sure some of the guys that night that saw us when we were walking through the streets thought I was a hooker. Nuuu..... does not want >_< (besides, might need a new wig for Rider neway, it's a rats nest).

Weekend after is the Quinte Halloween Cosplay Day/Photoshoot. Four years! If either of you (Otouto & ShinobiXikyu) can make it to Belleville, I have one the 27th I'm still up in the air as to what I want to wear for that >> Halloween Grell is tempting... so is Halloween Town Xemnas... so many choices....

2014 Cons/Events:

Facebook | deviantART
Unread 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If the cosplay day's the same as the zombie walk, were we (and anyone else who comes along) also going to have a dinner or whatnot out? Since I'm not doing the zombie walk (and you can't be in it in non-zombie apparel anyway), it'd be good to know if we can meet back up somewhere after or if I may as well just head home when the walk starts.
...and now my Halloween Molly Millions cosplay is close enough to done (just got to make finger blades, get press-on nails, a quick styling of the wig and finetune attaching my mirror lenses), and since it's a later date, now I'm debating if I should wear her or stick with wearing Aoi a last time. He's getting a bit worn but I just love that damn csplay so much.

Also, the Quinte one sound fun, but I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what things will be like around Halloween for me so I can't even say "maybe" yet. I'm already planning to visit my boyfriend's for Halloween itself, and we've been invited to a steampunk party, want to throw a party ourselves, might go to the Anime North Halloween dance the Friday before... yeesh. So many choices. X_X