Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Northwest Fan Fest

Unread 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Digital Dolphin

Anime Evolution!

While it's true that Anime Evolution went on hiatus for 2011 due to various internal circumstances, I am happy to say that Anime Evolution's first 2012 staff meeting is happening this Sunday, and plans to continue with the Anime Evolution convention are in the works!
Digital Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Halogirl

Can you explain what the "legal" issues were? I heard they skipped on taxes and claimed to be "non-profit" when they weren't (so i'm told). Not to mention, I attended some of the staff meetings, all you guys ever did was argue with one another (including you "Dolphin").

"In 2011, due to legal and financial issues facing AE Convention Corp., Anime Evolution 2011 was cancelled, and future AE Convention Corp.-sponsored conventions remain ruled out indefinitely."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Evolution

They stole from the community and closed up shop. Why would I trust the same group ever again?

To be fair, AE was fun but it was because it gave anime lovers a place to gather. As it stands, I am VERY hesitant about anyone from AE. They made us wait months for "news and updates" and in the end, they shut down. But maybe AE found a leprechaun with a pot of gold and can pay back everyone they owe and dig themselves out of the hole.

The way they are starting up again seems so "closed" and sketchy. Where is the official announcements on their website?

Why is nobody stepping up as being "accountable" for their actions at AE? Answers please!?
Halogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Digital Dolphin

Reporting back in as promised!

Anime Evolution's first meeting for 2012 was extremely successful, and actually exceeded my expectations. The main focus of the meeting was creating a well organized structure, to help prevent the problems that led to AE having to go on hiatus in the first place.

At the meeting, it was decided that the non-profit society will be called the Anime Evolution Convention Society. The board will consist of 5 directors (which will be announced once the paperwork is finalized, although I will say that I am not one of them). Membership in the society will not be automatic for all volunteers, there will be minimum requirements (which will be made public once the paperwork is finalized).

There is another meeting scheduled for Monday February 6th, which will be dedicated to finishing writing up the AECS bylaws.

There is also a firm committment to honouring the vendors spaces pre-sold for 2011, as well as passes pre-sold to attendees for 2011.

There was also some discussion about AE's next event, but there is nothing firm to announce just yet.

Keep your eyes on this thread for more news. I'll also answer any questions that I can
(We'll get the official website and forums working again eventually also).

---------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halogirl View Post
Can you explain what the "legal" issues were? I heard they skipped on taxes and claimed to be "non-profit" when they weren't (so i'm told). Not to mention, I attended some of the staff meetings, all you guys ever did was argue with one another (including you "Dolphin").
AE never claimed to be a non-profit organization. They were very particular about saying they were a for profit corporation that operates as a non-profit.

To be a volunteer at an event the size of Anime Evolution, you need to have a lot of passion. Any time you get a lot of passionate people in the same room, you're bound to have a disagreement on some point eventually. I wouldn't say it was that common of a thing though personally.

Quote:
"In 2011, due to legal and financial issues facing AE Convention Corp., Anime Evolution 2011 was cancelled, and future AE Convention Corp.-sponsored conventions remain ruled out indefinitely."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Evolution
That's something the new board of directors will need to address when they officially exist.

Quote:
They stole from the community and closed up shop. Why would I trust the same group ever again?
The honouring of vendors spaces purchased, and passes pre-sold was one of the main points discussed at the meeting that happened last night. Everyone is in agreement that it needs to happen, and a plan is in the works to ensure it does. On a personal note, I would not be involved in this (in any way), if this wasn't the case.

Quote:
The way they are starting up again seems so "closed" and sketchy. Where is the official announcements on their website?

Why is nobody stepping up as being "accountable" for their actions at AE? Answers please!?
This is still the very early stages. Once there is enough information finalized, there will be a proper update on the AE website. At that point, there will be a board of directors that can be contacted as well
Unread 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Well I am stoked. It was the AE corp that messed up, and I am happy to see that people care enough about AE to do something about it!