Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 11-13-2005, 01:47 AM   #1
baka-jin
*enter witty title*

Question Crossplay as lolita?

I'm kinda new to crossplay/cosplaying, I thought it be pretty cool to do a lolita outfit, but I'm not sure what to get/do. If you have some suggestions and tips, thatd be great.
baka-jin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-13-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
SasamiChan
DDR JunkieXD

Do some research on the lolita style, and then start drafting some designs. After you've chosen on a design and color sheme, start making some patterns >.< You can also alter pre-existing ones, or use a premade pattern (I've seen some gothic lolita-ish patterns)

Last edited by SasamiChan : 11-13-2005 at 02:38 PM.
SasamiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

You'll probably want to take into consideration your facial structure and body type, too.
I'm always happy to help find a style that'll suit you.
I used to try pulling off the Morticia Addams look, but I'm not skinny and angular enough. *sniff*
Ah well. Plenty more styles to have fun in.

-Tenebrae.
Unread 11-13-2005, 03:44 PM   #4
baka-jin
*enter witty title*

I'm quite slender I guess, but I don't know what style really 'fits' me hmm... well I was interested in like EGL (is that what it is? haven't learned all that jargon)
Unread 11-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
animeBecky21
Goofy girly user

Maybe this is cheating but if you're not inclined to sew or to find someone to sew for you, Hot Topic has some really nice lolita-looking things in right now. Stock varies from store to store, but for around $40-$75 you can buy a nice little dress or for more a top, vest and skirt combo. There's other places you can outright buy (eBay), but since you're new it's probably best to keep it someplace simple and you can try the stuff on there usually without a problem. Personally, I'm waiting for some of these things to go on clearance - but you could concievably completely outfit yourself there, from shoes and stockings to a bra/bustier set of some sort to the outfit itself. You'll pay through the nose (check the clearance rack first, I've seen a few cute dresses for around $20), but probably about the same as what some of the people who do costumes to comission like to get for theirs (which usually seems to run around $100).

That would get you started enough to get your feet wet and if you want to do more, or make your own, you can go on from there -
Unread 11-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #6
Leishu

I've actually made a habit of taking the cheap Hot Topic outfits and designing small alterations to them. ^_^

From what I recall, cosmates, I believe, has a mass amount of Gothiclo outfits (mind you, NOT the brand, but similar styles) but they're also quite expensive. I find it fun to search vintage clothing shops as well, personally, and find pieces of outfits to put together.
Leishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

Are you interested in making it yourself, buying it, or a combination of the two?
As far as research materials go, the Gothic & Lolita Bible is a good place to start. There is a thread floating around for Everything Loli/EGL/etc...Ah, here it is!
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=58411
Take a look through there. I believe you should be able to get some ideas either way from that.

-Tenebrae.
Unread 11-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
baka-jin
*enter witty title*

I really have no idea.I'm just interested, and as I'm still a student most my spending money comes from my parents who won't be too interested in me spending money to cosplay, so I really don't have a budget. I'm just in the early planning stages and don't quite know what I'll be doing, I have my check-card so buying online wouldn't be a problem and although I've never done sewing before, I'm interested and I also have friends who do this kinda stuff...
Unread 11-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Tenebrae
Happy New Year!

That's fine.
Look at some of the reference materials and find what you like. Take your time. We'll be here to help if/when you need it.

-Tenebrae.
Unread 11-14-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
animeBecky21
Goofy girly user

You'll have to start slow then. Me, I can't pass a clearance rack without at least looking. Which is another way to do it - study up on what look you want and then just watch clearances for something similar. I got two dresses in a Bon Ton on Sunday each for $2.95. They don't fit, but it was worth the gamble. Hot Topic, if you have an actual store you can get to, does a 50% off all clearance stuff every so often - thats a good time to go, too. Generally if you can buy something for under $10, that's less than you could make it yourself for - and that's not really a lot of money to spend anymore. You just have to be a smart shopper - and gothic kind of stuff is everywhere if you look, all those mall shops will have a bit here or a bit there. Even places like K-mart and Wal-mart have had some pretty gothy things at times.
Unread 11-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #11
Sixshot

Is there a japanese bookstore near you? If there is you can often find some EGL magazines for sale and some of them even have clothing patterns and ideas that are fairly understandable even if you can't read japanese. they even have a catalogue half the time so that should give you plenty of ideas.
Sixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #12
baka-jin
*enter witty title*

Oh sadly, not *near* me, theres one 23 miles away, but the traffic is so bad that It takes me 2 hours to get there, btw, I'm in Vancouver Washington, and the place I'm talking about is Uwajimaya/Kinokuniya in Beaverton, heh with the traffic, I think it would be more worthwhile going up to the one in Seattle.
*edit*
Oh well I guess I'm gonna have to put this idea off till later, I might be going to 桜コン as Asuna with some of my friends, which was their idea. Well atleast this will give me some experience for later.

Last edited by baka-jin : 11-14-2005 at 11:38 PM.
Unread 11-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #13
Lostboy

I have done two lolita costumes. One wasn't very good, but the other was fairly Mana-esque. I still don't feel that I have got the look quite right for my body, but check out my gallery and you can see how my attempts turned out. If you have a similar body build as I do, with wide shoulders and a thick middle, then you can see how the styles of dresses I have tried so far have turned out, and decide if you want to attempt similar ones. Maybe you can learn something from my successes/failures, depending on how you view them.

My personal self-assessment is: Mana eye makeup doesn't work well on guys with minimal eyelid space; puffy sleeves help hide big shoulders and muscular arms; don't hide your legs with a long skirt when your legs are your most feminine asset; don't wear ALL black, because a bit of color or contrast can help draw the eye away from places you don't want people to notice; a few cleverly-placed bows and ribbons can help hide mistakes or flaws; less dramatic, more natural makeup is pretty, while more intensely gothic makeup is less pretty than garish--thus, if you want to feel pretty, go easier on the makeup and include some pinks and purples.
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

I just posted a Lolita pic in my gallery
Unread 11-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #15
Infinitywulf
Howling round the room...

You could also do what is known as an EGA (Elegant Gothic Aristocrat) if you do not want to do the crossplay. If it's your first step I'd say go with whichever feels more comfortable. EGA is victorian styled garb, still lots of frills and such, but for a guy just take the "dapper gents" styled clothes from that era and elaborate. should be some good pics in the Gothic Lolita Bible of some styles for that also.

As a guy who has done crossplay for theater it can be fun if you pull it off right and are confident in yourself, but definitely make sure you have the right features to pull it off and either know how to do your own makeup right or have a helpful friend(s) to help with the look. Either way good luck!
Coming Cosplays: Clown Biker - Akira (revamp), HC-?X (Rozen Kreuz) - Trinity Blood, Keiji Maeda - Samurai Warriors (bald), Mist Gun - Fairy Tail, Reddas - FFXII Spider Jerusalem - Transmetropolitan, Voldo - SC III
Bringing bald cosplaying to a convention near you.
Infinitywulf is offline   Reply With Quote