Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Astarte999
Queen of Denile

Prices of body hair removal...

Hi! I'm new here...
I've been meaning to get into cosplaying, but crossplaying in particular, for a long time now!

But...before I do, I want this dreaded body hair and facial hair GONE.

I'm just wondering what the average price to expect for the options...
You know, waxing and stuff. Like, how much does a fully body wax normally cost!?

And help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Astarte999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Kismet

If you're referring to getting it professionally done, a google search will give you your local boutiques and their prices. However, sites like Groupon and Living Social often offer half off deals through local merchants.
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If you want a FULL body wax (as in, legs, arms, chest, back, face, eyebrows every single part) it'll easily be in the hundreds. Prices vary according to salon, but usually leg waxes are from 25-50, arms/underarms a bit cheaper, back waxes I have no idea (they offer them, obviously, but I never remember seeing any on the signs), etc.. It's certainly not cheap; you'd save a lot of money doing simpler areas (e.g., legs, which don't require any special shaping like eyebrows would, and aren't as sensitive as somewhere like the face or bikini zone) at home with a wax kit or just shaving.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
prettylush

At the salon i work at for men we charge, back is $35, arms are $25, and chest is $35. I've never had anyone ask to have their beard/mustache waxed. You may be able to work out a package deal price with the esthetician, but it will be rather expensive.
prettylush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
Astarte999
Queen of Denile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
If you're referring to getting it professionally done, a google search will give you your local boutiques and their prices. However, sites like Groupon and Living Social often offer half off deals through local merchants.
Okay. I actually tried that, but I didn't want to believe the prices, so I thought I'd ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
If you want a FULL body wax (as in, legs, arms, chest, back, face, eyebrows every single part) it'll easily be in the hundreds. Prices vary according to salon, but usually leg waxes are from 25-50, arms/underarms a bit cheaper, back waxes I have no idea (they offer them, obviously, but I never remember seeing any on the signs), etc.. It's certainly not cheap; you'd save a lot of money doing simpler areas (e.g., legs, which don't require any special shaping like eyebrows would, and aren't as sensitive as somewhere like the face or bikini zone) at home with a wax kit or just shaving.
Oh, why does it have to cost so much...Over $100 and it only lasts around a month, right? I tried waxing myself once, I used half a jar and I only managed to do like one thigh...and even that wasn't complete. Better than any shave I've ever had, but still, not good enough. I need a professional to do it...(and so, as you might figure, shaving has never worked out well for me and probably never will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylush View Post
At the salon i work at for men we charge, back is $35, arms are $25, and chest is $35. I've never had anyone ask to have their beard/mustache waxed. You may be able to work out a package deal price with the esthetician, but it will be rather expensive.
Okay. That kinda matches up with what I've seen. I hope I could get some kinda package deal...

Thanks for the help.

So...now, how about I ask about other methods? I've heard of laser hair removal and electrolysis and threading and various stuff, would you recommend any of those? How much do each of those cost?
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Ion
Lyrical gangster

You could look into buying an epilator which is used like an electric razor but it has sets of tweezers on it so it removes the hair instead of cutting it thereby giving you the smoothness and longer-lasting effects of waxing without salon visits or trying home waxing kits. They usually run around $50+ at mass retailers. If you are hairy, trim long hair first, then epilate.

There is also Nair/chemical hair removers, aka satan in a bottle. They are a horrible option if you have sensitive skin, but they work for other people without issue to. Before slathering it on, do a test swatch somewhere to check for adverse reactions.

Laser hair removal and electrolysis procedures are in the hundreds to thousands depending on your location, body area treated, and number of sessions needed. Info below.
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/laser-hair-removal
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/...ysis-directory

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
Astarte999
Queen of Denile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
You could look into buying an epilator which is used like an electric razor but it has sets of tweezers on it so it removes the hair instead of cutting it thereby giving you the smoothness and longer-lasting effects of waxing without salon visits or trying home waxing kits. They usually run around $50+ at mass retailers. If you are hairy, trim long hair first, then epilate.

There is also Nair/chemical hair removers, aka satan in a bottle. They are a horrible option if you have sensitive skin, but they work for other people without issue to. Before slathering it on, do a test swatch somewhere to check for adverse reactions.

Laser hair removal and electrolysis procedures are in the hundreds to thousands depending on your location, body area treated, and number of sessions needed. Info below.
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/laser-hair-removal
http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/...ysis-directory
Epilator huh? I think I'll look into that. Naturally, looking it up online I've heard both good and bad things about it. They don't seem too expensive, so trying wouldn't hurt too much. Does one epilator work all over the body? Including the face? But...why have I never heard of epilators before??

Nair? Satan in a bottle? Ha ha ha, that's sort of fitting. I forgot to mention that I've tried that before...A small test seemed to be okay, but when I tried a bigger spot, it didn't remove any hair, and felt like it burned. It left a little mark on my face for about a week I think. I don't think anyone noticed. No one commented on it at least...I also tried a shower variant of Nair, for my legs. Didn't do too much either...

Thanks for the links. I guess I'll need a better source of income before really considering laser hair removal and electrolysis...
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astarte999 View Post
Epilator huh? I think I'll look into that. Naturally, looking it up online I've heard both good and bad things about it. They don't seem too expensive, so trying wouldn't hurt too much. Does one epilator work all over the body? Including the face? But...why have I never heard of epilators before??
Epilators have been around since the 80's and come in all sizes depending on what area you want to treat e.g. face, legs/underarms, etc. You probably have not heard of them since the manufacturers target the female market pretty much exclusively. So unless you were watching HSN or ventured into those aisles looking for hair removal products for ladies [specifically in the electric razor section], you likely would never notice them really as they sometimes "look" sort of like an electric razor.

They inflict roughly the same amount of pain as waxing, and everyone's pain threshold is different, but do note that it is a slower process than waxing which may be bothersome to some folks. In a way, it can be compared to removing a bandaid: do you pull it off quickly even though it hurts a lot but the pain stops shortly after [re: waxing], or do you slowly pull the bandaid off so it is a little pain spread out over a longer period of time [re: epilating]. Totally a personal preference and comfort thing.

Definitely keep doing research, I have no idea how well the "face" ones work for men, I only use the legs/under-arm type.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
thelovelysin
Informant

If you go to a beauty school to get it done, it's only a small fraction of the price you'd pay at a real salon.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelovelysin View Post
If you go to a beauty school to get it done, it's only a small fraction of the price you'd pay at a real salon.
Seconding this! My friend graduated recently and they did things like this all the time. It gives them the chance to have real world experience before they graduate.

Working on:
First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Science Officer [DS9]

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Science Officer [FC], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), The Dude (on The Grid)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
Astarte999
Queen of Denile

I responded to Ion's post a few days okay, but my post didn't appear yet. Huh.

I decided to give Epilators a chance. Went to Target to look for them today, but saw none. I only checked the Men's section though. Would it be okay to get a Women's Epilator? Does it matter?

That beauty school thing is interesting, but I'm way too shy to do that...(for now at least)
Unread 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Women's epilators should work just fine.

Nono has recently begun advertising a variant of its product for men. I haven't ever used it, but their advertising is good. I'd assume it's just about as effective as any other epilator out there.
https://www.trynono.com/ps_w3/index.aspx

I don't know if there's any difference other than the color of the case :P

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Women's epilators should work just fine.

Nono has recently begun advertising a variant of its product for men. I haven't ever used it, but their advertising is good. I'd assume it's just about as effective as any other epilator out there.
https://www.trynono.com/ps_w3/index.aspx

I don't know if there's any difference other than the color of the case :P
For all that is holy and good...please do not buy that. Their advertizing is one step shy of just blatantly lying.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #14
Astarte999
Queen of Denile

I went to Target and Wal-Mart, and didn't notice any Epilators...even though their websites say they have 'em. I checked in more detail, and for Target it says they have some at the one closest to me! I must have missed that aisle or something? I guess I'll check it out again...

I've heard good and bad things about Nono.
The good things were only from their ads and commercials.
The bad things were from...everywhere else.
It just sounds bogus.
Unread 09-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
ImNewHere
The new guy.

Well, if you REALLY want it done, then do like I did. I had my face lasered, which cost 800 for the complete package with 9 treatments, and now I no longer have to shave!

The rest of it is easy to do with nair.

I also hit more conventions than most people do, so if you see me say hi. Chances are I'll be selling DVDs in the dealer room.
ImNewHere is offline   Reply With Quote