Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Closed Thread
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
rachaelbat
Rachaelbat

Talking Anyone ever had a fox as a pet?

CLOSED

Last edited by rachaelbat : 09-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Unread 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Lithium Flower
Handphones

As long as you live in Florida you probably won't be:

Florida

Category: B* & L
B = Ban on private ownership of exotic animals — non-domesticated felines, wolves, bears, reptiles, non-human primates

L = Requires the "owner" of the exotic animal to obtain a license or permit or to register the animal with state or local authorities to privately possess the animal (excludes states only requiring import permits)

Summary of Law: It is unlawful for a person to possess any Class I Wildlife unless the animal was in possession prior to August 1, 1980. Class I Wildlife includes, but is not limited to the following: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, baboons, leopards, jaguars, tigers, lions, bears, elephants, crocodiles, etc. Persons may possess Class II Wildlife if he or she obtains a permit from the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. Class II Wildlife includes, but is not limited to the following: howler and guereza monkeys, macaques, cougars, bobcats, cheetahs, ocelots, servals, coyotes, wolves, hyenas, alligators, etc. All other wildlife in personal possession not defined as Class I or II Wildlife must obtain a no-cost permit. In addition, FL has promulgated regulations governing possession of Class II and III animals (caging requirements, etc.). In 2010, Florida passed state regulations prohibiting importation, sale, use and release of non-native species. The regulations include a ban on capturing, keeping, possessing, transporting or exhibiting venomous reptiles or reptiles of concern (listed python species, Green Anaconda, Nile monitor and other reptiles designated by the commission as a conditional or prohibited species.) Persons who hold pre-July 1, 2010, permits for these species may legally possess the species for the remainder of the reptile's life. Traveling wildlife exhibitors who are licensed or registered under the United States Animal Welfare Act and licensed zoos are exempted.

Citation: FLA. ADMIN. CODE ANN. r. 68A-6.002, 68A-6.0021, and 68A-6.0022. FL ST. 379.231-2 (nonnative animals.)

Keep in mind that a fox is not a dog or a cat, they can be dangerous to the owner and people around them even if you believe they're tame.

They can have litter boxes, and are foxes are omnivores; meaning they eat meat and vegetation. They need a lot of space that's very well enclosed as they will likely find a way to escape, as well as some kind of den area.

Yes foxes are beautiful animals, but they're not breed to be tame like a dog and as such are not going to be the same kind of pet.

They need a veterinarian that is skilled in caring for them as an exotic pet and since Florida has strict laws and bans on owning foxes it may be difficult for you to find such a clinic.

I think you need to do a lot more serious research into foxes as pets before even thinking about a time frame for which you would buy one.

An animal being super cute doesn't necessarily mean you should have it as a pet. Especially when you need to go onto a cosplay forum to get advice for how to care for it without even knowing if it's legal in your area to own in the first place.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Unread 09-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Don't. The vast majority of "pet" foxes, aren't properly tamed enough to make a suitable pet. The only ones I can think of are a line of Russian silver foxes that got bred for years and years around people as an experiment- and those ones are rare enough to sell for more than $10,000, and a rare few kept by wildlife biologists for study. If you don't even know how foxes typically behave or what they eat, which isn't even hard to find out with them living wild on so many continents, and ask a COSPLAY forum for advice on having one, you're not suited to get one.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
rachaelbat
Rachaelbat

I've researched. You can get one with a class 3 permit.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
rachaelbat
Rachaelbat

This was supposed to be a fun thread. It's OFF-TOPIC and not related to this website at all. Who are you to judge me on what I can and can't do? I've done my research, I still am. I've been filling out this questionnaire for the permit the past week. And I still have 2+ frikking years to research! Did you really waste your time to look all of that up to try and crush my dream? You didn't have better things to do? Wow. How sad. Next time, only post to answer the question. And try to have some fun with those sticks up your behinds.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Hey, animal science major here. We actually learned about the difference from exotic and wild animals in our class. You may get a permit, but your town may still not allow it. Even if you have a permit the town you live in can easily deny your request. Permits come from the state but states, counties and towns all have their own views and the rule is the most specific area is the one that wins. IE, the state can say yes, but the county or town can easily deny you the right to own. You have to do more than research you have to actually go to your Town Halls, ask permission and see their views on it. A town might not want to risk a rabies influx and say no. Also I don't believe foxes are considered "exotic" in Florida, exotic means that the animal is not found natively to your area. So unless this is an arctic fox or a fennec fox (I believe that red foxes are the kind in North America, correct me if I'm wrong) then it's not exotic it's wild.

I still say it's a bad idea because unlike a dog or cat this animal requires a lot of specific needs. And they're not dogs, they aren't bred (normally) to be a companion, they're wild and have their instincts that unless you use animal enrichment (like in zoos) the animal will get bored and want to give in to said behaviors.

TL;DR Don't do it, it's a lot of work and money and stress.

Edit- You asked a serious question... you're getting serious answers. If you didn't opposite opinions you shouldn't have posted on an INTERNET FORUM.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelbat View Post
This was supposed to be a fun thread. It's OFF-TOPIC and not related to this website at all. Who are you to judge me on what I can and can't do? I've done my research, I still am. I've been filling out this questionnaire for the permit the past week. And I still have 2+ frikking years to research! Did you really waste your time to look all of that up to try and crush my dream? You didn't have better things to do? Wow. How sad. Next time, only post to answer the question. And try to have some fun with those sticks up your behinds.
You asked a controversial question about housing a controversial animal and you got answer you didn't like.

Tough shit.

You wanted opinions and advice, you don't get to be pissy and angry when the advice and opinions you get aren't the same as yours and because people didn't ooohh and aaahhh over your future exotic pet. You asked for our views, and we gave them reasonably and with research provided.

Just because our opinions aren't the same as yours doesn't mean we're crushing your dreams, if that's how you view it then you REALLY aren't ready to be owning an exotic pet.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
rachaelbat
Rachaelbat

All I can say is whatevs. We have it planned out. Did you not see this is closed? Geez, let it disappear.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Lithium Flower
Handphones

That is not the attitude people like to see in someone going on about wanting to buy dangerous exotic animals and house them as pets.

I highly recommend checking out the links I provided, and making sure you even have a vet in your area who can care for exotics.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
rachaelbat
Rachaelbat

I asked if you'd want to own an exotic pet. Not why you think it's a bad idea. You're the one twisting the subject around. You could've just ignored the topic and gone back a page if you don't want a pet like this. Just shut up.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
rachaelbat
Rachaelbat

Fine, I will, but we're moving by then anyway. Don't know where exactly, but in Fl.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I think animals found in the wild should be left there. People own tigers in Texas and it breaks my heart seeing them trapped in tiny cages when normally they'd be roaming hundreds and hundreds of miles of territory if they're free. Do you really want to do that to a fox? Remove it's instincts and force it to pace back and forth in a cage? My dog was bred over thousands of years to be a pet, your fox won't be. It won't be like owning a dog.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I asked if you'd want to own an exotic pet. Not why you think it's a bad idea. You're the one twisting the subject around. You could've just ignored the topic and gone back a page if you don't want a pet like this. Just shut up.
You asked, before you deleted your original post, about training them and what to feed them and how often and clearly implied you where looking for advice on caring for one. I provided information on such and just because it's information you don't like doesn't make it any less true.

You don't get to pick and chose information based on if you LIKE it or NOT.
Quote:
Fine, I will, but we're moving by then anyway. Don't know where exactly, but in Fl.
Like a few of us have said, even with a wildlife permit you may still be denied ownership of one. In most states the laws ban owning exotic pets, and restrict them to those who are keeping them at wildlife centers and other such organizations.

It's important to remember that just because a fox is cute, and might look friendly on TV, and seems small and therefore easy to care for; doesn't make any of that true. They're wild animals who can be dangerous to yourself, other animals in the area, and other people. As such it may be difficult to own one even with a wildlife permit.

You can do all the research you want, but that won't mean you'll ever get one as a pet because they simply are not pets.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

They're not even the same species as dogs...
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
rachaelbat
Rachaelbat

I will get one. It's on both me and my bf's must haves list. And I don't want a dog. Hence, getting a fox?
Closed Thread