Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 09-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
skellagirl

Princess Mononoke photoshoot?

Hey guys! We just had a Princess Mononoke shoot yesterday and I was wondering if anyone had any critique? :O

It's HERE!!
skellagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Costume looks pretty good, and suits the model. I'm not super familiar with the show so I can't really comment on the accuracy, but it looks nice enough to me. The spear is a little cartoony and fake-looking, some gentle weathering/distressing would improve it I think.

I would have liked to see more variety and drama in the poses, especially in the face. You can only get so far with "Stand there and look sad and disinterested" before it starts to get repetitive. Let's see some dramatic, emotion-filled poses and facial expressions. Example references:
http://pplibraryreviews.files.wordpr...5/mononoke.jpg
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...70-853-480.jpg

The white balance looks a little green to me. A custom white balance using a neutral gray card would have helped a lot here, to balance out the green cast you're getting from light reflecting off the green foliage. You can correct for this after-the-fact, though it's a bit more effort: either set your WB reference on something in the scene that you know to be truly neutral (maybe the spear tip or the dot on the head/arm band IF they're not blown out), OR do a "skin tone by the numbers" correction using a CMYK reference that's applicable to Asian skin tones.

Some of them look a little soft, but that could be due to resizing/compression on tumblr or whatever you're using to host the images. In any case, for this sort of content I don't think a little softness is a bad thing; razor-sharpness is often overhyped and overrated.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
skellagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
I would have liked to see more variety and drama in the poses, especially in the face. You can only get so far with "Stand there and look sad and disinterested" before it starts to get repetitive. Let's see some dramatic, emotion-filled poses and facial expressions.[/url]
Yeah, unfortunately I didn't notice until afterwards that a lot of the poses were similar, and even if I had, I've never seen Princess Mononoke so I couldn't offer any suggestions. D: Still beautiful and gorgeous, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Quote:
The white balance looks a little green to me. A custom white balance using a neutral gray card would have helped a lot here, to balance out the green cast you're getting from light reflecting off the green foliage. You can correct for this after-the-fact, though it's a bit more effort: either set your WB reference on something in the scene that you know to be truly neutral (maybe the spear tip or the dot on the head/arm band IF they're not blown out), OR do a "skin tone by the numbers" correction using a CMYK reference that's applicable to Asian skin tones.
I had it set to Cloudy, if I remember right. To be honest I always forget that I can create my own white balance. I've only done it once and it was a couple years ago when I first got the camera! I'll have to try and remember that I can do that, for future reference.

Though in post editing I also added a slight yellowish-green tint (A fill layer set to overlay at 5%) so that probably adds a bit to it. I was a little questionable as to what I was even doing, haha, as I've never taken photos in the forest before, so I wasn't sure how to really go about editing them. Do you think I should have gone for a cooler feeling, or just a really neutral one?

Quote:
Some of them look a little soft, but that could be due to resizing/compression on tumblr or whatever you're using to host the images. In any case, for this sort of content I don't think a little softness is a bad thing; razor-sharpness is often overhyped and overrated.
Yeah, a lot of them turned out more soft/blurry than I would have liked, and I have no excuse other than being a noob/out of practice. Tumblr does add some softness, but it's also my fault.

Anyway, thank you for the in-depth critique!! I don't ask for it nearly as much as I should, and not many people give it nearly as well as you do. So thank you.
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellagirl View Post
Though in post editing I also added a slight yellowish-green tint (A fill layer set to overlay at 5%) so that probably adds a bit to it. I was a little questionable as to what I was even doing, haha, as I've never taken photos in the forest before, so I wasn't sure how to really go about editing them. Do you think I should have gone for a cooler feeling, or just a really neutral one?
Honestly, if you didn't have a specific reason for that color layer, I don't think it was a great choice. Especially in yellow-green, which jjust makes the skin look sickly and unappealing.

Having said that, I've been using color shifts a fair amount lately, but only in a high-contrast, dramatic-lighting context, where the skin tones are not an important component of the image - e.g. my Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur sets. (I posted one of these, including a link to my Flickr for the rest of them, in the Picture of the Day thread)

As far as the "feel" of this set: I would first aim for accurate and flattering colors and tones on the model; then secondarily go for accuracy and interest in the clothing/accessories; then as a tertiary step, add color and interest to the surroundings and foliage. For the model's skin, do a Google search for videos on "skin tones by the numbers"; usually it involves using Curves adjustments independently on the CMYK channels to reach a certain ratio of C, M, and Y. It sounds harder than it actually is in practice, especially when you're using a video tutorial. Remember that Asian skin is different than Caucasian skin so the baseline formulas might not work right here.

Also: Try putting a mask on the color layer, and brushing on black to hide the color shift on the model. You can also add a mask to your CMYK curves channel if you only want those corrections to hit her skin.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Devika

I can't give you technical advice, but I have seen Mononoke and have something to add:

It lacks personality and character. All the photos are very out of character and do not resemble her personality at all, instead (forgive my harsh words) it just looks like someone with her costume wanting to look pretty. Which she does, but that's not the character.

Other than that, lovely costume and location!

Alibaba Magi: Labyrinth of Magic
Devika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
skellagirl

Sorry I haven't replied - I forgot I had posted this, haha

Nathan, thank you for the advice! I'll look that up and try it out! I've never used mask layers or worked with CMYK before, but I suppose I should start, huh? Sounds like fun!

Devika: Like I said, I wouldn't know. D: If I had seen Princess Mononoke, I might have offered suggestions. It was also my first time working with Cait, so I was a little awkward. Well, now I know, if we ever do another!
Unread 06-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
Lioness006

Loved the film and the model is pretty, but doesn't seem to fit the role very well. Princess Mononoke is very fiery and fiesty and bold, yet very protective of her family and her forest. I don't see any of that in the pics. The pics look good as just pics, but as pics of Princess Mononoke, maybe not as much. Maybe you should watch the movie together, find some stills from the movie, and take some notes so you can get some inspiration and try again?
Lioness006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Lidaea
Frightened Rabbit

I definitely agree with all of the comments on lack of character for the model. While she is very pretty, she comes off as timid and kind of cute, while Princess Mononoke is actually very fierce, like she's actually a wild animal rather than a cute princess. Lioness is right though, seeing the movie would make it easier to capture the mood.

Facebook
Lidaea is offline   Reply With Quote