Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
Monocle_Complex
Chessmate

I honestly couldn't care one way or another if someone wanted to cosplay out in public or not. The thing is, the reason I don't do it myself is because I find no need to. I'm not trying to get a reaction out of people. Most days when I'm out in public as CapsuleCorp stated, I want to conduct myself in a professional manner befitting of "normal society". That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, three times out of the year I'm one of the first people to fling on my cosplay. In high school it was fun you would dress up in poorly made home made cosplay and flaunt it in public. I liked the attention I won't lie. Aside from feeling like it made me officially part of the group I used to hang out with I primarily used it as a source of receiving feedback from strangers. Some people would look, some people would stare and in some occasions people would shout at you obscenely. But now that I'm older it's just something I probably wouldn't do.

Anime Detour 2014:
• Corvo Attano [100% Complete]
•Spider Splicer [100% Complete]

Anime Detour 2014:
•Spider Splicer
Monocle_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #32
carnival
tl;dr

I really don't mind cosplaying in public. I've only done it for gatherings though, and not just for the hell of it. I wouldn't wear an outlandish costume though. I tend to stick to casual outfits. I really don't see why some people are so against cosplaying in public... but to each their own, right? It is really fun, and a great stress reliever when you've been having a bad week. c:
carnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #33
avskull
Seattle, WA cosplayer

Most costumes are awkward to wear and require special attention not to damage. I try to live life simple but then again it would be fun for people to recognize me in a costume.
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #34
momoiru1994
Iruka

i realy don't care xD
people just like it when i walk in a city dressed like kakashi,
a lot people started to call me and ask me things even sometimes a pic
or kids who want to play with me ^^
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #35
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival View Post
I really don't mind cosplaying in public. I've only done it for gatherings though, and not just for the hell of it. I wouldn't wear an outlandish costume though. I tend to stick to casual outfits. I really don't see why some people are so against cosplaying in public... but to each their own, right? It is really fun, and a great stress reliever when you've been having a bad week. c:
http://youtu.be/W0DD963DD6Q <--this really

Go to youtube and type in mall cosplay. See how many of those videos are squeeling kids running around or dancing in stores. As I said some where I am not for it, because I have seen there are so many people who don't do it responsibly in both my previous job, and current job. Do I look at anyone weird if they are doing it? Nope probably won't notice at all unless they are disturbing the peace. Oh I ran into Vash once in hollywood years ago, he was cool.
Unread 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
Kennykins

I don't really care what other people do. Wear what you wanna wear.

For me personally I don't know if I'd do it. Not because of the perception others would get of me but because I'm a shoddy seamstress and I'd worry about my costume's durability. But hey most costumes are expensive. You might as well get all the fun out of it that you can.
BRS - 10%
Kennykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #37
carnival
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
http://youtu.be/W0DD963DD6Q <--this really

Go to youtube and type in mall cosplay. See how many of those videos are squeeling kids running around or dancing in stores. As I said some where I am not for it, because I have seen there are so many people who don't do it responsibly in both my previous job, and current job. Do I look at anyone weird if they are doing it? Nope probably won't notice at all unless they are disturbing the peace. Oh I ran into Vash once in hollywood years ago, he was cool.
Its a shame that people don't know how to act appropraitely in public. But I have also seen people dressed normally act inappropriate as well when I'm out. Some people lack common sense, unfortunately. :/ And those that act crazy in public give us a bad name.

Facebook page: Monochrome Tea
Tumblr: monochrometea.tumblr.com

2013 Convention Schedule
SacAnime Winter
Animation on Display
Fanime
Kintoki Con
Comic Con
Japan Expo (US)
carnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #38
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
Oh good lord. Why people?... Just no...

And the posters comment "some people are just so prejudice"

And you wonder why, I mean, who can blame them?
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #39
logan70

Youre not alone. I dyed my hair and beard dark brown for my Wolverine costume. Sometimes I dress like that on purpose to see how many comments or double takes I get.
logan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #40
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I'm super tempted to cosplay to the mall sometime around close to Halloween. Not going to do anything crazy though, but I think it would be fun to go around in costume
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #41
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

Don't we all cosplay in public when we attend cons and go to everyday places before, during and after the con? (Gas stations, stores, restaurants, fast food places, etc.?)
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #42
Mitsukichan

I've only cosplayed in public when I've gone to get food to eat before, during, and after a convention. It's not something I can say I really enjoy because well, I'm quite shy and don't like the weird looks I get from some people. But it is nice when you meet a fellow fan and get them to attend the convention!

Anyways, I can't say that I would cosplay in public just because I felt like it. I'd probably only do it if the cosplay was fairly normal looking and wouldn't require an odd colored wig. That way, I wouldn't attract as much attention. I wish I had more normal cosplays to wear around though so I could get more use out of my expensive cosplays.

But that's just me. I only cosplay for conventions mostly because I find it makes the whole con experience more enjoyable.

If you feel comfortable cosplaying in public, then by all means, do it! Well, as long as you are conducting yourself in a civil manner.

Currently Working On:
Pichu Gijinka (30%)

Last edited by Mitsukichan : 09-13-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Mitsukichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #43
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Lol, guess most of us do cosplay in public when we get food and stuff. I'm sort of shy, but I actually don't mind going to eat in cosplay depending on what I'm wearing. I usually will put a t-shirt or something on at least
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #44
shindousgal

Just today at the last day of my local fair I wore this pixie cut white wig. Just because I wanted to wear my wig. And I'm African American so it really stood out. Yeah I got looks but I enjoyed myself. And I sorta did it for attention but I wasn't going out of my way to Show off my wig and throw it in peoples faces. But I think its also a confidence thing. The first time I cosplayed in public was at an Anime club event at my local library. And it gave me a great confidence boost, mostly cause my skin was green lol. But it took a lot for me to convince myself to do it. So that's a big factor in it too.

Esmeralda (Disney) %40 done
Rainbow Dash 90% done

Up coming cosplay:
Female Aqualad (young justice)
Hitomi (Pretear)
Kareko (Deadman Wonderland)
Shion (NO. 6)

Next Conventions:
Ohayocon 2014

Last edited by shindousgal : 09-13-2012 at 10:38 PM.
shindousgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #45
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoboxDreamer View Post
Don't we all cosplay in public when we attend cons and go to everyday places before, during and after the con? (Gas stations, stores, restaurants, fast food places, etc.?)
Good point you have there, but I think their can be a line between convention (or a movie per-say) and just picking up one day and say hm lets go.

Again I am not out to belittle anyone who decides to go out in cosplay, just remember.

1. remember private property is private, you need permission to take photos. If you don't know don't assume you can.
2. Do not trample carefully planted flower beds for the sake of your wants.
3.Do not disturb others. This does not just apply for people but businesses as well.
4. be respectful of other people. Even if the other person asks you to leave or stop your behavior.
5.Do not whine about "mistreatment" when ever a person of authority or protection asks you to leave and/or follows you.
6. Remember your manners.
7. Military looking uniforms CAN get you arrested and HAVE gotten some people arrested due to fearful public complaints. Official looking uniforms, badges, and likes there of can get you arrested for impersonating an officer.
8. Props are not always welcome.
9. Realistic looking weapons are a poor choice except for around convention centers at convention times and parks away from the general public.
10. Remember while your are in your in cosplay remember you are representing a large group of hobbyists.

If you know and understand these 10 things go ahead cosplay away.