Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #421
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

Nice job on Klein. The chestplate's the reason I'm debating on not using pleather for Asuna (I want to, by my girlfriend refuses...and I can agree based on the fact that a plastic chestplate is going to trap the heat)

Went shopping today. And by 'shopping' I mean buying 7 yards of black pleather ($9/yd, 40% off = $5.40/yd. Score!) , some grey single-fold bias binding, thread, leather needles, and a Singer 15-91 that went straight from purchase ($60, still say it's worth more than that) to the local service shop for rewiring and maintenance (at 60 years old, it could use a looking over). Take a guess what that's for!

Yep, it's duster time! I should note that the bias is grey in abec's artwork and the concept work for the show, not white, so I'm going with grey. I have an idea of how I'm going to get the belts and trim, but I have to wait til the 15-91 is out of the shop next week.

I also found some cheap-ish black leather gloves ($5 on sale, score!) at K-mart while looking for a cheap toaster over (Vacformer project needs a heat source >_<) that I can turn inside out, cut the fingers off, and re-sew them. The artwork doesn't give any detail on the gloves so they are up for artistic license.

The belt...I found something that fits me with a solid buckle. Problem it's a studded pattern. Solution: Grinder, paint, styrene sheeting (also on order, since I need it to vacform a brestplate and a ring-cup hilt), and more paint.

Personally still need boots and a wig. Asuna needs....a lot more. I DID grab a necklace pendant that matches Yui's Heart in all but color, so it's getting molded and recast in blue polyester resin (hope it doesn't shrink this time -.- ).

On that note, actual progress was limited. Sculpted out the leaf detail for Lambent Light, needs to cure til tomorrow night before I can sand it or do much of anything to it really.

Ya know, this thread's starting to feel like a build log for me. *sigh*

EDIT 2013-03-15:

Night started off bad with the breaking of Dark Repulser's hilt (again...in the same place) when it fell off the bench. I have a bit of a temper, so I grabbed the nearest piece of 'scrap' and smashed it off the floor....yeah, it was Lambent Light's un-edged blade. I'm not as pissed about losing that since it takes 5 minutes to make a new one, and I made it from scrap anyways...but DR? I'm going to try to repair it. I don't feel like wasting 45+ minutes re-cutting that blade (it'd be the 4th time if I count the 1" thick test piece), plus 20 minutes with a router....I haven't gotten to the hand-filing yet but that's a couple hours. I was a sad panda.

So while DR's hilt is re-bonding itself, I have Elucidator's hilt castings being E6000'd to the blade. Need to let that cure properly (up to 48 hours) before I risk drilling a 3/16 hole down the middle of the wood for a threaded steel rod (all-thread...bolt w/ no head), which will joint my handle parts to the rest of the sword. Handle is...*sigh* I REALLY wish I could lathe it from a block of PVC, the wooden ones I turned have nicks in them. I'm not worried about the actual handle since it gets wrapped, but the pommel and collar, I am.

Also did the leaf detail for (the now non-existent) Lambent Light. Piece of 1/8" thick birch plywood cut with the scroll saw. I added some 'veins' to it with a v-groove chisel. Needs sealed and RTV'd.

DR hilt...I'm experimenting with layering it. I want it to have the half-round profile it has when Lisbeth appraises it, but to do it I have to use an absurd amount of Apoxie Sculpt...or make a foundation from another material. The thought just occurred to me to try cutting and sculpting it from a 1 3/4" dowel rod as well, might try that out...

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, Bard and Dragoon

Last edited by KOTSProps : 03-15-2013 at 12:46 AM.
KOTSProps is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #422
Shagami
Shy Cosplayer

Working on a Sakuya cosplay along with my friend Alishu Lu and another friends Agil Cosplays
we are trying to figure out about Agil's axe
BTW we all are doing ALO costumes
FAIRY WINGS!

AX 2014:
Day 0 (2nd) Aura
Day 1 (3rd) Natalia
Day 2 (4th) Aura
Day 3 (5th) Natalia
day 4 (6th) Not Cosplaying.
I'll be at the Tales Gathering on the 5th!
Shagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #423
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

I'm looking for suggestions on the boots for Aincrad Kirito...They seem kind of particular. I *might* be able to find them without the bootstraps and add those from scrap leather, but I'd rather find them with everything BUT the armor plate on them. US Size 10.5 Mens, Wide kind of preferred.

I'm starting mockups on my coat soon (go go gadget duct tape dress form!), once I get the melted plastic out of my kitchen oven. Protip: 350F for 60 seconds is too hot, too long for 0.060 Styrene. And don't use the kitchen oven...

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:

Last edited by KOTSProps : 03-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #424
LinkPwnsGanon
Queen Mikasa Scarf Face

I got my fabric today to make Asuna cloak! I'm soooo excited! x3 I just hope it comes out alright! :O

W.I.P:
Queen Mikasa - AoT 95%
Dark Zelda - SSBB 30%
WoC!Mikasa - AoT 25%
Lolita!Mikasa -AoT 25%
Hinata Hyuga - Naruto 10%
Yin - Darker than Black 35%
Ruby Rose 80% /Summer Rose - RWBY 90%

Planned:
Black Canary - DC Bombshell
Miltiades Malachite - RWBY
Anastasia(Once Upon A December Dress) - Anastasia
Cerise Hood - EAH
Madeline Hatter - EAH
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #425
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

In progress of finishing the vacformer project....I hope my heating solution works, and if it does, I'll be posting first pull soon--Lambent Light's hilt will get the honor.

I took a hint from a guy on XRobots.com and bought a $15 electric convection heater. I had to do a little modification to it (it only operated standing as a tower, I needed it flat) that...I wouldn't recommend if you use it to heat your shop too, but it's the core of this whole thing. Built a chimney from MDF, lining it with aluminum foil, then going to test this crazy idea.

EDIT: the heater is far too low temp, and I have some air escaping from my platen and/or frames, so...I have some work to do before this can be pulled properly. Might also go to layering thinner stock despite that being materials-intensive. I tried using a heat gun and ended up with very poor results. I'm...I'm gonna stop wasting my 0.060 styrene and use those old POP signs (0.030 styrene, I believe) I looted from a box at my work (Yes, my 'real job' is fast food management -.-) for test pieces while I get these bugs work out.

And the only reason I'm even yacking about a vacformer in this thread is I'm also going to pull Asuna's chestplate on it, her boot covers, Kirito's baldric buckle (really a cover to something sturdier) and boot covers. At least, that's my plan. We'll see if it works. With a 21" work space, I may have to cut that chest armor into 4 pieces and fiberglass them back together.

Time to go play with the sewing machines instead.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:

Last edited by KOTSProps : 03-17-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #426
Roses-and-red

After a lot of thought I think I want to cosplay Sinon. The gun going to be a lot of fun to make and dat outfit o.0

Roses-and-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #427
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

If you want a good reference for Sinon's rifle, go play Fallout: New Vegas and get some good screenshots of the Anti-Material Rife(or extract it with the Skyrim creation kit...I think that'd work). It's modeled after the gun Sinon uses (a PGM Hecate II) in GGO...which in reality is a .50 rifle about 54 in long, so not only will it probably need scaled, it's going to be somewhat weighty even from PVC.

In other news, Kirito's coat is currently in mockup and modifications. I keep saying I'm a horrible tailor, but it might be partly because felt is a horrible material to sew (only using it for this stage)....it's also horrible to mark changes etc on.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #428
Nemi

I haven't really done anything SAO cosplay making related, but after I'm done with my current cosplay, I'm gonna redo my red bands and shoes. I also gotta remake my chest armor cause I actually lost it. Good thing it was made of craft foam and I have the template for it.

Ever since I met some friends at the SAO photoshoot from Katsucon, I've been hanging with them and doing some cosplay-related stuff. Because of them, I'm planning on making and cosplaying casual Asuna for Sakura Matsuri so I don't have to look too ridiculous taking the light rail to DC.

I'm also getting help with my Asuna rapier cause it's made of wood and I'm having trouble with it. ;-;

Cosplays For 2013/2014
Asuna Yuuki (SAO): 90% ~ Gou Matsuoka (Free!): 95%
Aqua (Kingdom Hearts): 65% ~ Yuri Nakamura (Angel Beats!): 20% ~ Sayaka Miki (PMMM): 5%

Cons I'm Attending
TigerCon, NekoCon, VA Comic Con
Nemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #429
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

finally just finished the sword not to long ago.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3361267/
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #430
Roses-and-red

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTSProps View Post
If you want a good reference for Sinon's rifle, go play Fallout: New Vegas and get some good screenshots of the Anti-Material Rife(or extract it with the Skyrim creation kit...I think that'd work). It's modeled after the gun Sinon uses (a PGM Hecate II) in GGO...which in reality is a .50 rifle about 54 in long, so not only will it probably need scaled, it's going to be somewhat weighty even from PVC.
Ahhhh!~ Thanks for the helpful tips!~

Roses-and-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #431
momomilk

I made my last piece for my Lisbeth cosplay...the easiest piece too, her hair clip :3 Can't wait to wear her.
momomilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:27 AM   #432
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

I'm actually tempted to make a Hecate for the hell of it (I wish I could get a real one, but I'd probably break my shoulder firing it...haven't fired my .30-30 in over a year, so I've lost touch with that, let alone a .50 BGM). Looks like it'd be fun, though I'm likely to get stopped by cops if I carried it outside...

In other news, coat mockup was a sucess, made the modifications I wanted, and I'm actually in the middle of sewing the base. Still need to make all the trim w/ the bias tape, but I'm more worried that one of my mods won't turn out right. And pleather...sewing it....once sewn, it's hard to fix mistakes. They show, and any holes from stitches stay very visible in the fabric. PERMANENTLY. So this better be right, or I'm out $50 and 6+ hours of my time...

Haven't touched my prop work for days since I need to have the coat and my sewing equipment out of my kitchen by Sunday. I am debating on a slight cop-out on Dark Repulser's hilt details due to my bad sculpting skills--I'm finding sculpey to be way, WAY too stiff for the level of detail I want. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy some Chavant NSP Soft/Medium...kind of need it for a Final Fantasy XI project anyways.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:

Last edited by KOTSProps : 03-21-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #433
Li_Syaoran
Lone Wolf

Whooo hoo,
My xm8 and Mp5 came in last night along with some other gears for my GGO,SAO fusion add ons.
Still waiting on a com head sets and eyepiece....
CureCos:http://en.curecos.com/profile/?ch=331883
Cos Group Page:https://www.facebook.com/LonewolfCosplay

Current Anime Con list
Sakura con 2013
Male Black Rock Shooter
Sword Art Online Gun-master/Swordsman Kirito
Male Suit Saber from Fate Prototype
Imitation Black Kagamine Len
Li_Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #434
KOTSProps
Kin of the Stars

http://i.imgur.com/0zNh6AX.jpg

Half done with the outer layer. This is without the trim, two pockets, sleeves, or collar. I'll be adding those once I have the sateen for a liner cut and tacked into the seam allowances of the pleather. The trim and hems will help hold the liner in anyways.

2014 Events
KATSUCON 20
ZENKAIKON 2014
OTAKON 2014

Projects:
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #435
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

trying to find shoes for Asuna, although I wonder if I should just do shoe covers or something x-x
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote