Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #496
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I got my wig for Lyfa today and it is perfect!
I tried on my whole outfit so far and I LOVE it!! Even though I didn't like Lyfa as a character I feel like I fit her better with my body type and face than I do Asuna, which is kinda sad because I have 7 Asuna costumes.... xD

Anyway take a look!

All that's left on this outfit is (1) Adding straps to the bodice, since I'm stuffing it won't stay up all too well on it's own. (2) Adding the decorations to the socks, (3) Finishing the Sleeves, (4) Choker, (5) Hair Piece, (6) Finish the Belt and (7) Make her Sword oh yhea and (8) make her wings!
Hopefully I'll be finishing that all up tomorrow! (:

I'm also starting on Undine Asuna and will be having a photoshoot with my sleepewear Asuna and Swimsuit Asuna (With a Liz! ) in the next few days. (:

Unread 07-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #497
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ichigo, that looks really awesome. You do so well on all your cosplays though so I already knew it was gonna be amazing
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #498
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

Sorry Hayley, but im afraid i have to disagree and say you suit Asuna more. Really nice job on Lyfa though.
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #499
Anton-kun

Never cosplayed before, but recently I got the urge to start cosplaying and my first idea was Kirito from SAO (The Blackwyrm Coat-thingy), since I look like him a little bit. I've never sewed without instructions before and I'm mediocre at sewing, so I need some help.

I'm not really sure about what kind of fabric I should use for it. (Especially the straps) My budget is pretty much unlimited but I don't want to spend too much on my first costume. And then there's the white lines...

I think that there are quite a few people here who cosplayed Kirito before, so I think it's easier to ask you for some advice - how did you make your costumes? Thank you in advance!
Anton-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #500
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton-kun View Post
Never cosplayed before, but recently I got the urge to start cosplaying and my first idea was Kirito from SAO (The Blackwyrm Coat-thingy), since I look like him a little bit. I've never sewed without instructions before and I'm mediocre at sewing, so I need some help.

I'm not really sure about what kind of fabric I should use for it. (Especially the straps) My budget is pretty much unlimited but I don't want to spend too much on my first costume. And then there's the white lines...

I think that there are quite a few people here who cosplayed Kirito before, so I think it's easier to ask you for some advice - how did you make your costumes? Thank you in advance!
The BEST look would be a nice matte vinyl, but a good heavy cotton should work just fine since you are kinda new to it. Plus if you don't have a really good machine that can do vinyl, I wouldn't go that route anyway haha
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #501
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

I would suggest a cotton for the main jacket. You can use double fold bias tape for all the white lines and then you can use craft foam for the armor bits. (:
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #502
Anton-kun

Thank you for the advice! Will got to a fabric store in the city tomorrow/on Saturday and I'll try to start right away. ^^ The inside should be quite easy - just a simple shirt and trousers. Cotton should be fine for that too, right?

So basically here's how I plan to do this:

The inside shirt and trousers first of course. I'll wait with the belt. There's nothing special about them I think? The jacket will be the hardest part for me to sew. I'll just sew the jacket and then add those bias tape parts. (Those parts that are sticking out at the collar and the bottom of the jacket are part of the jacket and not sewn to the jacket afterwards, right?) Is it a chest pocket at the left side at the top? It only seems like some kind of flap.

Also, I'm 14 years old so I'm currently growing rapidly. I'm quite short now, just around 160 cm tall but I doubt that I will stay at that length for long. Would it be better for me to make the costume a bit bigger so I can actually wear it when I'm finished? I'm just worried that it's either too small for me when I'm done, or it's too big because I don't know my future measurements. ;w;
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #503
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Well for the shirt and pants I would suggest just buying a simple black t-shirt and black pants (There's nothing special about Kirito's as far as I know, but Azura would be the one to ask about that).
I would attach those flaps topically (which means after you make the jacket, just like an accessory). Same with the pocket, I would just make it a flap not a real pocket.

And honestly I don't know about the growing thing.. Maybe when you make it if you cut your seam allowance a bit big and leave it after you sew it together if you get bigger you can just take out your seams.
(:

On a side note I just had a shoot with a few Asuna costumes today. Pictures should be up soon! (:
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #504
Anton-kun

Thanks for the help Ichigo! ^^

Hmm... I should read a bias tape guide since I've never handled bias tape before. (Or actually, I did use bias tape one time, but that was last year and my teacher pretty much did all of the work for me. )

I have so many questions and more will definitely pop up when I begin sewing. Sorry for the trouble. xD How am I supposed to attach the flaps and the bias tape? I'm just worried that I'll just sew them on the coat and it will look ugly both inside the coat and outside. ;w;
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #505
ichigo_m.
Eli Ebberts

Bias tape can be used many ways. For designs that are on the coat (not the edges) you should do those before sewing the pieces together. Attach them by pinning them then sewing down both edges.
For bias tape along the edge of the coat put the coat fabric in between the two fold of bias tape then then down the edge closet to the coat. (:

good luck!!
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #506
Anton-kun

Again, thank you so much! <3

I'll keep you updated (if you want to read my rantings when I become frustrated when I sew. xD) when I begin sewing!
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #507
Anton-kun

Excuse me for the double post, but here comes another post loaded with questions. ;w;

So I went to a nearby fabrics store today, but I couldn't find any double fold bias tape or any fabric that seemed to be appropriate for the costume. So I decided to just order everything online then. (Since I don't even know what double fold bias tape is called in Swedish...) Problem is that I don't know which store I should order from. Could anyone recommend a store?

As for the pattern... http://www.simplicity.com/p-2235-men...tumes.aspx#t-0 seems to be what many people are suggesting but it will need quite a few changes. It seems a bit intimidating for a beginner for me... at times like these, I wish that a step-by-step guide existed. I could use the help from someone who has cosplayed Kirito before.
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #508
feistiestcrayon
HUUUUURR

Few more tips, the bias tape is actually a light grey (trust me, it'll look way too harsh if you do white on black) and for the belt, you can literally just take a strap and buy a silver parachute buckle and sew that on. You can buy those at pretty much any fabric store Since his is shaped a lot like one. If you're worried about growing too much, like Ichigo said, leave a little bit in your seam allowances so that you can make it bigger later. I would leave the bottom too long and then shorten it as necessary before you go to wear it. If you're worried about the pocket flap looking ugly, sew it going up and then iron it back down over the seam (I can draw you a picture or something if you're having problems with this), but again, as already stated, sew it on after you finish the coat if you aren't making it functional. Try making things more interesting by using two different fabrics for the coat and straps - a heavy cotton, like twill, will work fine for the coat, but try something a little different for the straps. Even something with just a little bit of a different texture (not like satin or anything). It'll help make them 'pop' more.

And Ichigo, your Lyfa cosplay is turning out fantastic! And I am mad jelly of your Asuna cosplays. uvu

EDIT: Sorry, my post didn't go through until after yours hwoauheuoahy
That's the pattern that we used to make my boyfriend's Kirito coat, and it actually wasn't too far off (Just had to modify the shoulder/sleeve area, collar, and general fit). It also hasn't been so bad to sew so far, this has been his first cosplay and he hasn't had any trouble sewing it together I'm not sure about stores in your area, unfortunately, but this is what double fold bias tape looks like (the two on the right). I know some people call it "binding tape" or "bias binding" and it's often used for quilting and whatnot.

Last edited by feistiestcrayon : 07-22-2013 at 08:30 PM.
feistiestcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #509
Jayse

Well I got the fabric. Now I just need to settle on a pattern. Oh the joys of it!

Have a near finished picture of my mask. Yes those are LED's in the eyes!
http://imgur.com/JLLO7xW

It's currently painted a solid black colour. Considering changing it to a dark metallic grey with some highlighting to emphasise the skeletal look of the mask.
Jayse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #510
Azuraschampion
SAO and AW's biggest fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayse View Post
Well I got the fabric. Now I just need to settle on a pattern. Oh the joys of it!

Have a near finished picture of my mask. Yes those are LED's in the eyes!
http://imgur.com/JLLO7xW

It's currently painted a solid black colour. Considering changing it to a dark metallic grey with some highlighting to emphasise the skeletal look of the mask.
Man thats awesome. I wish you and i were going to some of the same cons so we could reenact the epic BoB fight between Death Gun and Kirito.
Azuraschampion is offline   Reply With Quote