Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Others

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #31
xiledsoviet
Toubro

What is the expected number of attendees?
xiledsoviet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #32
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

Very looking to see how this event goes for the first time. *crosses fingers*
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #33
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

So far I've enjoyed the first two days of Japan Expo, and it felt good to be back at the Santa Clara Convention Center (SCCC) since Fanime was there last from 2000-2003. I was sad that the big open area with the grass that we held the cosplay.com gathering at Fanime 2003 was now replaced by a building that serves as an extension to the SCCC.

I liked how a lot of the exhibits and vendors dealt with Japanese Culture, rather than just all booths selling anime stuff, which is normally what you see most at anime convention Exhibit Halls.

My big disappointment was the entry & exit areas for the con. Friday was easier since you could walk from the Hyatt 1st floor to the inside of the SCCC, and just show your pass or ticket. And when you actually left the building, you could have your ticket scanned a couple of doors away from where you could enter (scan-in.) But Saturday that changed.. If you parked your car on the 3rd floor, you couldn't enter the SCCC from that floor, but had to go down to the first floor and walk allll the way across the Hyatt to the front entrance of the SCCC. And if you tried to walk through the Hyatt on the 1st floor inside, security wouldn't let you go through unless you had a VIP/Premium badge.. So you had to go back outside and around to enter. The worst part was trying to exit the con, since they said you had to have your ticket scanned when you exit, else you can't enter back inside the con (not-sure if anyone had any problems if you didn't have your ticket scanned out and then tried to come back in.) So the exit was allll the way towards the back of the Exhibit Hall, and then you had to walk all the way back outside to get to the Hyatt/Parking garage.. They really should've had an exit-scan door much closer to where you enter, or at-least allow people to go from the SCCC 1st floor back into the Hyatt, even if you had a regular ticket..

Still, it's been a fun weekend one more day to go!
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
Nemuren
Great King of Evil

I enjoyed Japan Expo and hope it returns next year. The attendance was scary low on Friday, and I was glad to see it improve on Saturday and Sunday. Having attended Fanime during the Santa Clara years, the weekend was a nostalgia trip for me and kind of a full-circle thing since I didn't start cosplaying at Fanime until after the move to San Jose. I also enjoyed the glimpses of Japanese culture outside of anime and video games, like the sword/martial arts demonstrations and the taiko drumming. And how can you not love a con that had so many free food samples to give away?

But I also hope that they improve the entry/exit policies. On one hand, printing out my pre-reg ticket at home meant no waiting for a badge, which was nice. But as a cosplayer who wears costumes that get warm fast, I didn't like that I couldn't take advantage of the Hyatt's direct connection to the convention center and always had to walk around the building in sunlight to get into the con. My other significant gripe would be how the con died at 7PM each night. I saw cosplayers arriving Friday evening after work or school all dressed up only to find that the con was done for the day. Can't remember ever going to a con that had no night life whatsoever.

That said, I see a lot of promise in this con, and hope to see it improve. Hopefully, they'll do a better job marketing it too so they get more attendees.

Last edited by Nemuren : 08-26-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Nemuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #35
katx
Azu-nyan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I liked how a lot of the exhibits and vendors dealt with Japanese Culture, rather than just all booths selling anime stuff, which is normally what you see most at anime convention Exhibit Halls.
I enjoyed that part too! It had an art gallery feel to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuren View Post
I enjoyed Japan Expo and hope it returns next year. The attendance was scary low on Friday, and I was glad to see it improve on Saturday and Sunday.

And how can you not love a con that had so many free food samples to give away?
Same here! It's a pretty chill con, and we enjoyed it. And... WHAT FREE FOOD SAMPLES?! WE MISSED OUT ON THOSE

I liked...
- how getting a badge for that day gives you access to all events happening that day (no additional tickets needed for main events)
- how the guests were super nice (especially Kozaki :3). They really spent time personalizing autographs and chatting with fans. I heard they walked around the con area too without an entourage of bodyguards... something that can't be done at bigger cons.
- how the hotels are super close to the convention center and offer free parking.
- the cosplay stage. I just wish some photographers were considerate of other people who wanted to take pictures. TLDR - It would be nice if this one dude didn't take 2 hours and claimed the whole stage to do a shoot of 1 person and look annoyed when some people sneaked in to the far left corner to take their group pic. There were many people waiting.
- the super chill/friendly atmosphere of the con.
- cosplay repair station. This is the first time I've ever had to use one. THANK YOU!

I didn't like...
- the drawing system for GoHs. I don't know how many spots were free at the end of the day because of this system, but it sucks lining up for an hour and then -poof- sorry, you didn't get it. It's very depressing ><

I'm torn about their badge system. It's convenient not having to line up to pick up a badge and then line up again to get into the con (and I'm pretty sure it cuts down their costs), but having a badge attached to you is easier than digging for a piece of paper especially for cosplayers.

There were also few vendors, which I didn't mind because there were art exhibits and demonstrations that took up the rest of the floor space. It also meant that attendees had more room to walk around in.

I'll cut my post here :P That wall of text was too long!
katx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #36
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Here are my photos for Japan Expo USA: 1st Impact

Cosplay Photos:
Day 2 Saturday
Day 3 Sunday

Event Photos:
Day 2 Saturday
Day 3 Sunday

Quick thoughts:
+Great selection of GOH's
+Varied vendors and programming
+Barcode badges are super easy (no 3-4 hour lines)
+Amazing main events stage
+Close Hotel and Food
+Good security
-Poor Exhibition hall lighting
-Camping photographers taking the cosplay stage
-Autograph system could run better

My suggestions to improve the 2nd Impact:

Commemorative badge holder or have badges with barcodes: That way it is easy to tag someone moving in and out. If badges with barcodes are too expensive, sell attendees a "Japan Expo USA: 2nd Impact" commemorative badge holder for a cheap price ($2-4 dollars)

Connect with other conventions to ensure no conflict:
There is no doubt that being the same weekend as KCON really suppressed the SoCal attendance since most of the people who would have done Japan Expo USA did KCON instead. Also, being very close to Sac-Anime probably had an effect on NorCal attendance, since you had two conventions aiming for the same market that is running around 120 miles apart at a similar time period.

Market Market Market: A new convention needs to build a brand, the lead time when Japan Expo USA started marketing heavily was near Anime Expo. Ideally, they start aggressively marketing Japan Expo USA 1 year before the event. For second impact they should start marketing right now, and get the energy rolling for 2014.

Don't expect the moon: I also hope that the executives didn't aim for the moon with attendance projections, since a first year event is an unknown factor and no matter what, it is impossible it have a megacon in its first year. With that said, in future cons Japan Expo USA will grow leaps and bounds in size since people know of its existence and the overall attendee experience has been top class. There is lots of potential, and it does many things right for its first year. If they look at the first couple of years as "investing" for the market, Japan Expo USA can really grow to a top 5 con in size within a couple of years.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo

Last edited by Hcoregamer00 : 08-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #37
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

This is my quick review! I really enjoyed this con! The vendor hall looks very nice and I enjoyed the Japanese culture stuff in it. I also enjoyed the nice big video game room since Anime Expo but it needs more work with having more variety in tournaments. My biggest gripe was how the ticket system worked and how inconvenient is to travel around the con that it would be either improve the entry/exit system or just do it by badge instead. Also you need to have more stuff to do more activity after 7pm. If the con manage to fix these area, I think it would of been a solid con in a such a long time! And also I have to thank the CEO and the program director for being such nice people. I really want everyone know that Japan Expo USA is worth checking out!

Enjoy my gallery!

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/239886/p1
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #38
deadpool790

Jx 2013

Had a fun time at JX the only problems i found were entering / exiting having to recheck ourselves back in and to exit...I lost alot of potential video captures for filming because i had to go all the way around inorder to get to them and by the time I did they were gone...I found that extremely irritating.

Heres the Video I hope you all enjoy it

http://youtu.be/rzzIwIvh9Po?hd=1
deadpool790 is offline   Reply With Quote