Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Marvel Universe

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Vtapril82

Valkyrie help

Hello all,

I am new to cosplay. I have always loved playing dress up and my husband suggested I join this site. He goes to heroes con every year in Charlotte, NC and really wants to start going to other conventions. Next year I plan to start going with him. But for now...I need help with a costume for Halloween (I know, strange right?) My son told me that he was going to be Captain America, my husband was going to be Hulk, and I had to be the Black Widow for Halloween. However, I just wasn't excited about dressing as Black Widow. So...I asked if I could be "female Thor" and he agreed I could be! SO...I am asking for help with Valkyrie. I am a plus size woman and I will be going out with my 4 year old so not sure how to pull this one off. I'm hoping to wear it to the next convention I attend with my husband also
Vtapril82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
AsukaBlue

First of all: WELCOME!

For future reference, a request like this might be better placed in our "general construction forum" located here - http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

but since youre here, lets get started!

You mention that youre a "plus-sized" female - could you give some idea as to what that might entail? Dont be shy, we generally have a pretty positive body image ideal around here.

*rubs hands together*

now, we have traditional Valkyrie: http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/im...2023908108.jpg & http://holdyourfireal.smugmug.com/ST...9_pP67k-X2.jpg - which is who Im assuming youre aiming for.

just to put it on the table since you seem to have a little size concern, is an alternate costume: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6..._val_super.jpg - Valkyrie Super, that offers a bit more coverage

Last edited by AsukaBlue : 09-12-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Vtapril82

Hi AsukaBlue-
Thanks so much for responding! She is definitely the one . I really like the cloth at the bottom that covers more! I am 5'5, 40DD, size 18 waist. I don't have measurement specifics yet, sorry
Vtapril82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
AsukaBlue

Alrighty - lets brainstorm!

For Super Valkyrie, Id suggest a leotard or supression onesie (made of tighter, thicker material - kind of like a spanx suit, which you can get anywhere). the cloak is fur, so a couple of yards of high-pile (long, thick) material from a fabric shop should be pretty simple - and you can tuck some into the top of whatever boots you choose to wear, and youre done with all that.

the hair is relatively simple, blonde pigtails bound with cord. belt with a large buckle that you can velcro a couple of panels of cloth from to hang front/back.

for those medallions, Id use a lightweight molding medium - I have a special place in my heart for model magic (a a crayola product) personally. dries over a couple of days, and just spraypaint. I have a lot of good luck with glossy/metallic Krylon.

given its halloween, you may be able to go to costume shops like SPIRIT to find the bracers/gloves and maybe even some rubberized armor panels you can cut apart so you dont have to make the medallions.

hope that helps get you started!