Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Seeking Cosplayers

Unread 09-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
meatballhead15
Moonatic

Arrow The Sailor Senshi Peninsula Posse - Seeking Sailor Moon Cosplayers in the SF Bay Area

Hi minna-san~

For over five years I, was known as "meatballhead" and I participated vigorously in events in San Francisco's Japantown such as the parade and talent show and/or a whole Sailor Moon musical every year. I also performed at AOD, the San Francisco Culture Festival, the Millbrae Culture Festival, and Stage Zero at Fanime.

I took a year's hiatus from cosplaying and now I emerge as Aslan, one who inspires. Going ALL the way to San Francisco for ractices took so much gas, time, etc. Therefore, I made the decision to start my own cosplay group HERE to save myself and others trouble.

I am looking any person who is willing to sing, dance, act, as well as cosplay. If you have a little trouble in any one area, there will be support. I plan on giving everyone a chance to be in the spotlight, everybody will be recognized to the best of my ability... but how do we start?

Simply come by and say hi!!! hehe

My initial four dances are for just the five inner senshi but we can see what works from there.

A "Small Group" would consist of Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter, Sailor Venus.

A "Medium Size Group" would consist of all of the above plus Sailor Pluto, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Uranus, Sailor Saturn, A Villain of your choice (Tuxedo Mask Optional), (Luna Optional), (Chibi-Usa/Rini Optional).

A "Large Size Group would consist of all of the above including Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Star Healer, Sailor Star Maker, Tuxedo Mask (Princess Kakyuu Optional) (Queen Serenity Optional) (Moon Princess Optional), (Prince Endymion Optional), A Villain (Optionally: A 'large' villian and their four lesser villains: Queen Beryl and Jedite, Nephlite, Zoisite, Kunzite/Malachite, OR The Wise Man and Prince Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, Rubeus OR Sailor Galaxia and Sailor Iron Mouse, Sailor Aluminum Siren, Sailor Lead Crow, Sailor Tin Nyanko).

I practice on SATURDAYS in SAN MATEO's CENTRAL PARK, beneath the nice shady tree where 5th Ave literally would run into the park. It's also very close to the Japanese tea garden which is a nice place to rest. Plenty of boba tea places, ramen, etc nearby for snacks afterwards.

Summary: as a group we will go and perform from San Francisco to San Jose and everywhere in between, since it seems that the cons and existing groups are BASED there. San Carlos cosplayer? Millbrae Cosplayer? Come up and see me sometime! =)

There will be things to come, such as contact information exchange, private auditions, practices, and time for support in other areas, performances, also days to perhaps just join in other cosplay meetups and have fun. But go ahead, and just take the first step and say 'hi', here on the board, and hopefully in person.

Last edited by meatballhead15 : 09-17-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
meatballhead15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
kyouryokusenshi

I am also looking for Sailor Moon cosplayers, so I am really happy you made this thread. I love bubble tea and I would definitely like to check out San Mateo sometime. I am definitely looking to permanently grasp Neptune. I currently live in Campbell near San Jose.
kyouryokusenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
meatballhead15
Moonatic

@kyouryokusenshi! Thank you! Right now we are just in the sort of 'meetup' stage. The primary goals are to spread the word and exchange contact info.

The most serious things we will be practicing will be 3 "Sailor Moon Super Dance Lesson" songs and dances:
-Kiari * Sailor Dream
- C'estLa Vie
- Romance

(On a sidenote, I have been in a group that has done these dances with slight variations and I recall correctly the leader wrote tried to 'copyright' on her simplified changes to the borrowed coreography. We will be doing them strictly per the videos so nobdy can accuse us of stealing anything.)

THERE'S SO MUCH MORE! I do have comedic skits planned for large events such as Masquerades. Also I have dancing/singing intermixed with cultural tidbits of information for Cultural events, birthday parties, who knows what?! Our music will also come from many sources, The Sailor Moon Anime, THe Sailor Moon Dub, The Sera Myu Musicals, the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Live Action drama, other anime as well, and sometimes even pop music (for the comedic masquerade bits)

TIME- I am such a baka, I did not tell you what time we are meeting. THe answer is 12:30-3:30 and IT IS PERFECTLY FINE IF YOU CANNOT MAKE ALL OF IT at this stage. I will be uber-genki if you can stay for half! Why? Well I'm aiming for noon, but hey, Usagi is ALWAYS late. I can and will not be able to find everything I need to be on time for 12:00. So I'm pretending it's noon in my head. WHERE DID MY CAR KEYS GO?! I'm only halfway done with my makeup and hair! WAAAH!

LOCATION: I have yet to use the feature on my new phone, but I went and snapped photos of the vicinity of where we will be meeting up! Ineed to upload these. If you have driven along El Camino Real and seen a great big sign that says CENTRAL PARK You're getting hot! If you're coming from 101, just exit 3rd ave, and make sure to get over to 5th ave before you hit El Camino and you'll literally run ito the Park.
The Walk-In enterance we will use is 5th and San Mateo Drive, the street that parallels El Camino. If you walk in just a little bit further, there is a huge tree great for climbing, a bench for resting, a water fountain close by, and really super nice grassy area.

We finish at 3:30 so anyonebody still with me then can enjoy the BEAUTIFUL Japanese tea garden, or get Boba tea.

BONUS TREATS!So, if you recognize me from my 5+ years of performing and volunteering in Japantown, You came because of cosplay.com, OR you just happen to wander by and confess that you are an American Otaku, I will have free Pocky and/or YanYan for you

If you have seen the following on El Camino, you're Getting Hot:

This is the intersection you want to walk into after you have parked, 5th ave and San Mateo Drive:

This is the beautiful area where we can meet up and practice, note the huge tree, and bench, and nice grassy area:

This is the sign for the Tea Garden ~ It's bilingual!

This is a glimpse at the Tea Garden itself... the perfect place to rest after a rehearssal, no?

I look forward to start seeing faces of interested cosplayers every saturday unless otherwise noted in advance here =D
Unread 09-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
kyouryokusenshi

Great! I would love to make it! I use public transportation, so I will have to figure out the bus/train routes a few days before.
Unread 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Olivine
Cosplayer

Oh gosh, this sounds so delightful. </3 If only I didn't work weekends.

FanimeCon Attendee 2009-2012
AOD Attendee 2012
Kin-Yoobi Con Attendee 2010-2012
Olivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
meatballhead15
Moonatic

@kyouryokusenshi- If you're using the SamTrans busses, just hop on any of the "El Camino busses" (390, 391, or KX usually) and you can find the stop closest to 5th ave. Then all you have to do is walk back one block, then you'll be at the park enterance where you can see the giant tree, bench, and grass area

If enough prospective members/members in the future need to use CalTrain, and get off at the "Downtown San Mateo" stop, I can carpool you to and from. However, this doesn't apply for first-timers, as you are technically strangers who could murder me ;_; I have to either know someone or take the word of a very trusted friend before I let someone into my car. But yes. I will offer free shuttle service!

@Olivine- Is there any way you can maybe change your work schedule around? Perhaps switch shifts with a coworker? Take mornings/nights instead of afternoons? Right now I get my knickers in a twist if people couldn't make it EVERY saturday. Perhaps you could get every-other Saturday? It all depends on how much rapport and flexibility you have at work. At the very same job when I was the most senior employee I could have easily found somebody to switch shifts with. However, when I was hired, I was hired TO work one day a week: Sundays, to run Pokemon league ("Poke Goddess") at the Hillsdale Mall. Unfortunately my cheerleading squad did a couple of competitions... that were on Sundays, and I had JUST been hired, and I couldn't ask for my only day off... so I had to sacrifice competing. We still did the routines at home for halftime and such but it tore my heart in two.

I also have a super-special message for anyone I missed last Saturday:
As you know, the first casual 'meetup' of The Sailor Senshi Peninsula Posse was scheduled for last Saturday from 12:30-3:30. However, most regretfully, much of my life is dictated by my need for pain medication as I am physically disabled (SSDI, blue placard, MediCare). I wasn't able to be there during the entire duration of the hours listed because I needed my medication (and the time for the to kick in). SO in order to make up for it, if you showed up Saturday (as someone seriously interested in cosplaying) I will upgrade you from a free box of pocky or yanyan to a free lunch at "The Bento Box Corner" (Technically "Kaz Teriyaki Grill" but nobody calls it that. The real name is a tiny sticker while the BENTO BOX HOT FOOD is in glowing neon). Teriyaki, Katsu, Curry, in rice bowl or bento box format, 90% satisfaction rate among my friends, four out of five stars on Yelp. All you have to do is PM me and I'll we can work out a time that can work out for both of us.

Once again, you have my most sincere apologies, but I am just now returning from my year of Cosplay hiatus. I did upload a thumbnail of my first costume since the break. It was something that I could 'ease' my way into.
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
kyouryokusenshi

That sounds great! I definitely understand! I'm going to try and have my mom give me a ride this weekend while she is visiting. Would love to carpool once we get to know each other. Taking part in a Sailor Moon cosplay is a dream come true for me...seriously! I also love singing C'est La Vie and Romance, I practically know the lines...just need a refresher! Super excited!
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
meatballhead15
Moonatic

@kyouryokusenshi- I look forward to seeing you this saturday! I will be practically impossible to miss, as I will not be in full cosplay, but definately "Sailor Moon Themed".

Even if things start out slowly, I have a skit planned for as a few as two people (where my cosplay partner would be Sailor Pluto, Guardian of Space and Time!), but I don't want to give away too many details.
Unread 09-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
kyouryokusenshi

It was great meeting up with you meatballhead! I'm very excited! Please check out my Venus cosplay here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.500854836597430.134512.497360726946841&type =3
Unread 09-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
meatballhead15
Moonatic

@kyouryokusenshi- That's great! Of course I'm going to need you in a Sailor Fuku, but at least you have the wig, and maybe I can help you out if you have any difficulties, as I've cosplayed as Sailor Venus in the past. I even have the official PGSM "Beauty Hair Extention" set, which is her ribbon with the beads.

Attention any interested males- Because we are 'Sailor Moon' based group, don't feel counted out! We could use a Tuxedo Mask if you have that 'good guy' streak in you, or you basically have your choice of any male villain in the series at this point. The only small problem would be for our debut performance you wouldn't get to sing a solo, but I hope you could forigive me, right?

Regarding Practice/Meetups- It was great to meet kyouryokusenshi last week. As of now, she ahs dibs on Sailor Venus. However if our group becomes larger, she is first in line for Sailor Neptune.

Right now our Practice/Meetups consist of practicing our 'stock dances'. I will discuss some of my other ideas for the group, tell you when our first performance will be, and just get to know you. Many 'seeking cosplayer' threads list all the characters, and then fill them up with screen names. I don't want screen names, I want people!

Last practice part of our time involved visiting Koi fish and getting Bubble/Boba tea ^_^ This is just so we can get comfortable with each other before the 'serious' practices and performances begin in 2013.

Regarding Attendance: I would really love it if you would drop me a reply saying "I can only make the latter half of the rehearsal!" and I will say "Okay! Thanks for letting me know!!" or "I can't make it this week, I have this to do!", and I will say, "Okay, have fun! " Rehearsals WILL be strict come the new year, but right now, we're just team-building so there's no use in being so strict it scares people off when it's not necissary. It will be nice to have a full group to practice in plenty of time for our debut(s).

I hope to see more of you in San Mateo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosplay practice.jpg (98.4 KB, 0 views)
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
meatballhead15
Moonatic

I do have some sad news, fellow cosplayers. Due to the number of cancellations I have received via PM, the practice for tomorrow, Saturday, the 29th of September has been cancelled.

I will use this time to try to tap some non-cosplay.com sources. Thank you for your patience. If you were planning on attending but did not post in this thread PLEASE PM me. Thank you so much for your understanding!
Unread 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
kyouryokusenshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatballhead15 View Post
@kyouryokusenshi- That's great! Of course I'm going to need you in a Sailor Fuku, but at least you have the wig, and maybe I can help you out if you have any difficulties, as I've cosplayed as Sailor Venus in the past. I even have the official PGSM "Beauty Hair Extention" set, which is her ribbon with the beads.
Awesome!! The hair accessories would be great! I'll work on obtaining the fuku asap.
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
meatballhead15
Moonatic

Due to the limited number of people showing up (and the fact I will be recovering from a filling and/or root canal, along with somebody else being late or not showing till the following week)...

PRACTICE THIS NEXT SATURDAY THE 6th of OCTOBER IS SHORTENED TO 2:30-3:30
Unread 10-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
meatballhead15
Moonatic

I have a couple of announcements/ammendments to make with our group:
1. While we are in 'relaxed meetup mode' during 2012, Practice will be shortened to 1:30-3:30
2. Sadly enough, for this week only, I will not be able to make it due to personal conflicts.

However, I am always coming up with new ideas. Heck, I even have a 2-person, Moon/Venus song/dance/skit in the works 'just in case'.

AOD is wanting talent registration NOW and I'm not sure what to do about that, I will have to confide in person with the existing other people AND come to a consensus BEFORE signup closes.

These are your SSPP updates~ Thank you for your time!
Unread 10-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
kyouryokusenshi

Forgive me, I should know this. But what is AOD short for?