Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Aeviking
Fantasy worlds explorer

Disney Beast help

I've received a commision for designing the costumes of a representation of The Beauty and the Beast, but I don't have any idea of how to make the Beast (of course, on beast form). It has to be easy enough for teenagers with not much time and money, but also something that won't look weird. I thought about making a furry boot covers, no more ideas. Also, how can I make the mask?

Unread 09-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Penlowe

define "not much money"

There is a latex mask available for the Beast, I doubt you could make something while charging for your labor, that would actually cost less.

One of the hardest lessons when trying to be a professional in creative fields is to learn when and how to both accept and reject jobs. Sure, you can be kind and bodge something cheap together that looks like crap because the budget was so tiny, or do way more work than you charge for, but both these actions- while kind- will only hurt you in the wallet, and likely reputation as well. It's far better for you (as hard as it is) to simply say "I'd love to, but your budget is simply too small".
Unread 09-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Aeviking
Fantasy worlds explorer

Well, I'm only the designer, the actors want to make the costumes. And the Beast needs something half of mask, half of make-up; easy to put on and off. I want the easiest way to make it. And it's not a job, only a favour they asked to me.
Unread 09-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Penlowe

In your first post you called it a commission, I read that as a paying job. They are friends, I get it, that's cool. All that said, why aren't they doing the asking if they are doing the work? It sounds to me like you will wind up doing the work anyway.

I crochet & sew, people ask me ALL THE TIME if I could 'just fix this one thing' or 'toss together' that historical costume for the 4th grade book report. It's hard, but those that have creative skills must learn to say "no" or become a doormat to all your 'friends' who will abuse your generosity because they haven't the foggiest idea how much work and time it actually takes to do what they are asking.
I quote a charge of $15 an hour when random parents at my kids school approach me for 'quick' jobs. When they give me that deer-caught-in-he-headlights stare I ask them how much they make. Just because what you do is creative doesn't mean it's worthless.

Don't be a doormat, direct your friends to the props & accessories forum here, as well as the hair & make-up forum, both of those are what they need.
Unread 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

I'm more on the mid to high end of the price scale for most things, because i'm a fabricator and mask maker (very time and labor intensive). And i completely understand how hard it is to say no to people, but sometimes it's hard to convince people, especially friends that a job is no cost effective, or possible for X amount of money. I don't accept peoples budgets, i bid it, most of the time people will come back with, "well i can really only spend about half of that", which usually is equal to or less than the material costs, not including the hours, sometimes days of sculpting, molding, casting, painting, mounting, etc.

As for half makeup, half mask, you aren't going to find anything like that for disney version of beast. the head itself doesn't lend for that. Cheapest way i can think of, and its not well put together, but if you can pull it off it works well for disney style things, is paper mache, covered in the propper colors of felt, as for the teeth, off white spray paint on top of paper mache (if you can smooth them enough) and you are going to need eyes, since they aren't human scale, any proper scaled ball will work if glued in place. making sure to place a hole somewhere for them to see out of.

Incorporate some wire mesh into the paper mache so that you can have a support structure for the neck and a way to attach it to a helmet (something with a chin strap)
I would refuse a job before building it this way, but that is only because i have to set my products to a standard or quality that i refuse to lower, but it doesn't mean that it wouldn't work great for your purpose. Only issue i see is the mane, if felt is used, the mane can not be hair, it will look wrong, long strips of thinly cut felt will probably work, but like the whole thing, a lot of experimenting is needed

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote