Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
Ember1412
Proud Memeber of YAI

Work out help needed

Recently, I've been noticing that I'm getting completely out of shape. I'm not looking to loose weight since it took me forever to gain weight in the first place, but I'm very weak physically. So at the very least, I'd like to attempt to turn what body fat I do have into muscle.

My goal is to gain the physical strength and endurance required for a female to join the Canadian Military by the end of August after Fan Expo 2013, which I plan to attend dressed as Fasha from Dragon Ball Z.

I know realistically, I'm probably not going to get nearly as much muscle mass as she has. (Even if her character design has her with fairly obtainable looking muscles.) So at the very least, I'd like my muscles to be toned.

I should note that I do not have the money to afford a membership at a Gym, so I'm looking for an exercise list that can help me quickly build arm strength and endurance, so that I can start looking at other more strenuous work outs.

For health information,
I am 19 years old, and weight 130 pounds from the last time I took my own weight.
I am 5'7 feet tall.

Part of the motivation, besides my chosen job is that I can barely lift my friends cat, which weights something between 30-50 pounds, and can effectively suffocate me if he sits on my chest.

Last edited by Ember1412 : 09-15-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Ember1412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
bkyoung

Every other day
4 sets of pullups to failure
4 sets pushups to failure
4 sets crunches x 50
3 sets chinups to failure
3 sets of diamond-push ups to failure
2 sets of planks to failure
Every off day run for as long as you can.
I know this seems like a lot of volume without a lot of rest inbetween days but I wrote this up with your goal of the military in mind.
bkyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
fotokid
fotokid

If you're just getting started I say try the Insanity dvds.. they are demanding and keep you on a tight schedule. They will build endurance so you can start lifting.
fotokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Overbeck
Grabbin' Pills

You can get a couple of sets of dumbbells cheap. I would say you can get them at wal-mart, but I see your in Canada. Are there wal-marts in Canada, their everywhere here. Sorry to get off topic, with dumbbells you could do presses, flys, curls, even squats. For cardio jogging, biking or swimming. Just depends on how good your knees are. Also to build muscle you'll need good protein. Water pack tuna or skinless chicken breasts are good. You'll be sore at first, but just stick with it and don't give up. Hope this helps.
Overbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
ProjectAlice

I use protein shakes to gain muscle. If you're really tiny, eat some red meat at least 3-4 times a week, then go with carbs (pasta) or fish, which is really good for you. Then substitute a meal with some nice leafy greens.

Since you're starting out, you'll want more energy to be able to get all those sets in, eating carbs 30 minutes before will help, or even a power bar. Make sure to hydrate a lot and take a 1 min breather during each set. If you can't compete 3 sets of at least 15 with one minute intervals, you need to lower the weights.

Also, to help you gaining this power you can either lift really heavy weights, if you can tough it out or lift lighter weights but as quickly as possible. This will also increase muscle mass.

What specific part of your body do you want to target? Upper or lower? Just keep in mind that all your muscles are interconnected, they need to work together to be able to lift that extra pound. If you have developed biceps but no shoulder/back muscles you'll still be weak.

If you need any other tips don't be shy!
ProjectAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
You Mirin
Order out of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyoung View Post
Every other day
4 sets of pullups to failure
4 sets pushups to failure
4 sets crunches x 50
3 sets chinups to failure
3 sets of diamond-push ups to failure
2 sets of planks to failure
Every off day run for as long as you can.
I know this seems like a lot of volume without a lot of rest inbetween days but I wrote this up with your goal of the military in mind.
I like what I see here. Quite good for beginners. These movements link the groups nicely and there is no need to target until after a certain level of fitness is attained.
You Mirin is offline   Reply With Quote