Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
Dune723

MGS Revengeance - Raiden's Mask

Hi everyone!

After a good five or so conventions, I've finally decided to dress up as a favorite character of mine as I've (jealously) seen many people do already. Unfortunately, I'm brand new to making props and costumes, and I know this is an incredibly daunting task - if not impossible. I'm completely aware that this requires plenty of skill and experience, but I'm more than willing to put in the effort to make sure this comes out as perfectly and closely as possible.

So, I figure the best place to start is the head/mask. I've found threads (like redchainsawz and kanan's at this link) or this one from The Hunter's Lair) that go a long way toward getting me started. They certainly give me a vague idea of how, but I'm still left in the dark here. I was hoping you guys might be able to give me some pointers and criticisms along the way, and I'll post pictures at every step for anyone who may want to start the same project. If any tutorial offers an option I've missed, please do tell me!

Time Constraints
Virtually none, I'm in no rush and have ~2-3 hours a night to work on this thing.

Price Range
Seeing as I don't expect this to take less than a year, there's more or less no limit to the price of materials.

Current Supplies
Picture Here
-Bondo
-1Lb Super Sculpey
-10Lb Amaco "reusable air dry clay"
-2lbs Plus "air drying clay"
-Somewhat thick posterboard-esque paper
-(Not Pictured) Hot glue gun

To start
So far, I'm thinking of using the paper directly measured and cut to fit my jaw up to the ear, finding a way to make it perfectly symmetrical, and make sure I can keep it the same shape and work directly on it. I think I've read about some sort of fiberglass being used in much the same way but that's beyond my ability to figure out at this point. I've heard of latex casts, and that might make it easier to work on since I won't be actually fitting it on my own face. I've also considered buying the same epoxy putty as the guy in that second hyperlink used but I'm not sure it's worth it just yet. I'd like for the end product to not chip easily if i happen to bump into anything.

Whew! I'd be grateful if someone even read through that entire wall-o-text!
Dune723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

Your best bet is to find someone to do a full head lifecast on you. Because everything about that helmet is streamline. Generic wont work, especially for the metal lower jaw. I can give you advice on every step, but it would be a book if i tried to explain step for step what you need to do.

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Penlowe

I second getting a cast of your own head so that you can work on it over time. Look around at local colleges, theater and art departments both have people that want to practice doing this type of casting and would be happy to have a practice body. If you supply the materials or money and allow them to make multiple casts from your initial form that should be all they payment they need.
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

Most people are very willing to do lifecasts is the materials are supplied, especially as Penlowe said if they can get extra casts out of it. Meaning of course, silicone life cast. If you lived closer to me I would do it, i can always use another head form.

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote