Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 09-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Kismet

Wig Scissors

I know this is a very beginner issue, but I checked the FAQ and roamed some pages. I'm sorry if I missed this elsewhere.

I'm finding that my first wig is difficult to cut. I tried using my home scissors at first, but I have to put a lot of tension on the fibers to be able to get a cut. I bought a scissor set online that was listed as "High quality wig hairdressing". These are marginally better, but it's still extremely difficult to get an accurate, even cut. I'm just trimming bangs, not trying to shear off huge wefts with a single snip. It's so frustrating!

I didn't pay a lot for the 'wig hairdresser' scissor set, so it may be an instance of getting what I pay for. Is there something in particular that I should be looking for? Are there brands/sites that I can get scissors from that will cut more cleanly through the synthetic fibers?
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I actually bought a pair at the dollar store..They work amazingly..Maybe the cheaper the better haha I don't know..But if you try that, at least it's only a dollar and not a ton of money
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-OC (Original Series)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)

WIP
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
-Yui Hirasawa (Attack On K-On!)
-Hanji (Attack On Titan)
-Takamina (AKB0048)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Link (Zelda: OOT)
-Miku (Vocaloid, Galaxy Girls [fan models])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

It sounds like your scissors are just incredibly dull.

When I cut wigs, I use the cheaper-end styling scissors from Sally Beauty Supply. (Or, if those have gone missing, I might use my smaller sewing scissors that I use for cutting threads or snipping notches.)

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I use cheap scissors as well, and they work fine. Got them at Wal-Mart for like $5.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
o01101011
Just call me Digit

You might just be trying to cut to much at once. If you work in layers, evening things out as you go and again at the end you'll have better luck than just trimming large portions at once.
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
_Kumi-chan_
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl

I got my hair shears at Walmart as well. They were less than $10 but they're heavy for their size (I think they were Goody brand and came with a black pouch). They've served me well for several years, and I haven't noticed any dulling at all.

I do only take small amounts of fiber at a time, like just a few strands, and cut upward/at a small angle rather than across the fiber, using small snipping motions. Layering is important as well (I use those metal clips my hair stylist uses to separate out my sections). Even if you're just doing bangs, it gives you a lot more control over your cut, it's easier to hide mistakes if you're just doing a tiny bit at a time, and you can make it look more natural than a blunt cut would. Even hime-style bangs (straight across, all one length) will look better this way.
Next up...
In Prog./Upcoming: Various groups/projects/upgrades Ranma 1/2
The Mirror Card Captor Sakura Rapunzel Tangled EVE WALL-E
Tenchi & Ryoko Tenchi Muyo! Parn & Deedlit Record of Lodoss War
_Kumi-chan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Kismet

Thanks for the tips! I didn't think that I was trying to cut too much at once, but I'll try the layering and small angles. I'm keeping an eye out for super cheap wigs that I can just practice cutting on. I may also try another pair or two of scissors, since I can always set some aside for crafts if I don't like using them on wigs.
Kismet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Devkyu

I suggest getting a pair of Fiskars from a craft store like michaels, a.c.moore or jo-anns where you can use 40 or 50% off coupons. Just a pair of the cheap, purple-handle all-purpose scissors works really nicely. Just don't try and cut too much at once or you'll end up having to draw and "saw" through it.
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Also, you don't want to waste your money on expensive hairdressing scissors anyway; wig fibres dull them really fast. Most people don't have the tools to resharpen scissors, so cheapo ones are a way better investment.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote