Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Saki_Watari

Blonde wig that might pass as natural?

Oh my goodness... I could really use some help! I ordered a blonde wig off of ebay. The seller had 100% good feedback so I thought it would be okay but IT'S YELLOW! Now while I'm returning it I have to find a new wig.
I'm hoping to stay in the $25-35 range. The thing is, it needs to be able to be parted to the side and not look horrible. I know how hard it is to find passable blonde wigs, but I figure someone on this site must've found one somewhere! Here are some reference pictures of the character http://e-shuushuu.net/images/2010-09-04-320751.jpeg or this color http://media.photobucket.com/image/f.../canakosan.png

I'd really, really love any help or advice on this. I just hate to have a good cosplay and ruin it with a wig that LOOKS like a wig.
Saki_Watari is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I think Arda's Platinum Blonde color would work really nice. I have one of their wigs in this color, and I think it's pretty spot-on. The color swatch looks a bit different than the wig will look in real life, so here's a set of photos of people wearing the platinum blonde color. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ardawig...7626359359212/
It's got a blend of fibers that are both darker and lighter, so it looks very natural.

If you don't like that color, I think Epic Cosplay's Butterscotch blonde also looks incredibly gorgeous. http://www.epiccosplay.com/blonde-en/butterscotch/

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Arda's Ferrari wig is $35 USD and comes in Platinum Blonde 081. If you want a less yellow shade, the wig also comes in Dark Ash Blonde 029.
Five Wits has this wig, which would also work.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Saki_Watari

WOW! What is wrong with me? I had never heard of Arda wigs before! These wigs look amazing. I've just ordered swatches of Ash blonde and Dark ash blonde to see which looks best with my skin tone. I really cannot thank you two enough. You have saved my cosplay and introduced me to an amazing looking wig company. THANK YOU!
Saki_Watari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

If you want a realistic-looking wig, buy a wig in a natural shade, not a cosplay color.

New Look and Sepia brands commonly have about five different shades of blond and they're all very natural. And they can be fairly cheap depending on which site you buy them from and how long the wig is. Not to knock Arda wigs but natural hair colors have been pretty much a staple of wig companies for decades, they know what they're doing.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
novaraven1

I second the sepia brand wigs vote. and also try newlook brand (sold at cosplaysupplies.com and amphigory and many other wig sellers too). these are both wig brands that carry very natural shades of blond and can even come with highlights.
Also look for a feature called a latex skin top in a 4x5" size at the front of the wig. Very few arda wigs have this feature, many sepia and newlook brand wigs do. It allows you to do a sidepart very easily without having to resew the part or add extra wig fiber to hide the change.
arda wigs are heat resistant, sepia brand and newlook wigs are only stylable at very low temps. it really depends what you need this wig to do for you on which type you go with. I have found absolutely no difference at all between how tangley ardas heat resistant wig fiber is and how tangley newlook elora fiber is but the curls in ardas heat resistant wig fiber will stay more crisply with time and multiple wears.

Last edited by novaraven1 : 10-02-2012 at 07:50 PM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saki_Watari View Post
WOW! What is wrong with me? I had never heard of Arda wigs before! These wigs look amazing. I've just ordered swatches of Ash blonde and Dark ash blonde to see which looks best with my skin tone. I really cannot thank you two enough. You have saved my cosplay and introduced me to an amazing looking wig company. THANK YOU!
You will definitely love Arda! Their wigs are so natural looking and they also feel like real hair. I've never regretted ordering a wig from them.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote