Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Locations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
CanisPanthera
need more costumes! D:<

Massachusetts Locations?

Anybody have any good experiences with locations in MA? Feel free to post about anywhere you had a good shoot, regardless of its context. Urban, natural, anything could be helpful, especially for Boston cosplayers.

There's a lot of places in Western Mass that get away from dense population and more into the countryside, forests and fields; I have yet to try using any of them though.
CanisPanthera is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Although it's REEEALLY out of the way unless you live in central MA; for woods/forest/garden/naturey shots, Moore State Park in Paxton (take Route 31 from Worcester) is really beautiful, especially in the spring when all the flowers are in bloom and fall when the foliage is all turning. It also has an old saw mill with a bunch of waterfalls, old stone walls all over the place, and tons of woods trails to shoot in.

(I grew up within walking distance of it, so you could say it's my pet spot x3)
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Kitsoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Spiritman
Boston's Hero

i live in Leominster and there are some good spots for certian Cosplays...the small city has alot of allies(safe) for Superheroes and Whatnot

Anime Boston 2011 Cosplay: TMNT Puppets

Anime Boston 2013 Cosplay/Boston Comic Con 2013 :TMNT Michelangelo

http://www.youtube.com/user/PuppetsonScraps
Michelangelo Cosplay:The Boston Ninja Turtle
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Yeah.. Worcester can also be good as an urban environment for taking photos without TOO much risk of violent encounters; just don't hang around Main South too long (though all the stories I hear there are more of harassment and carjacking), and don't go alone >__>;; But if you do go, downtown near Holy Cross and the downtown area towards Union Station (NOT near the Centrum, the area closer to the highway) is good for old architecture and old warehouses. Just.. yeah, be careful.

Salem is a good place to get easy/hassle-free cemetery shots, by the way, since they're used to the tourists hanging around there taking pics anyway (ESPECIALLY around Halloween).
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
wishfulthinking
nightkinks

Ugh, I hear you on the encounters. My campus would be great to shoot at, UMASS Amherst, but... running into people isn't what I want to do. Western Mass is good for the woodsy shots, though.
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
RevPicky86

There are some really great places here in Rockport. it's on the coast so we have the beaches. There are some great places in the woods around here especially in dogtown and Halibut Point State Park.
RevPicky86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

I live in Gardner, MA and I know a bunch of places, but none of them are parks. They are all locations I have found in my adventures in central and western MA. My mose favortie shoot spot was the old stone chruch in west boylston. We did a Grell Sutcliff shoot there before moving to a Cemetary in Clinton/Sterling.

~2015 Convention Schedule~
Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT
Another Anime Con, Manchester NH

Open for Commissions!!
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #8
Spiritman
Boston's Hero

im actually looking for some spots in Worcester. Gardner area for a music video with my tmnt puppets...any suggestions?

Anime Boston 2011 Cosplay: TMNT Puppets

Anime Boston 2013 Cosplay/Boston Comic Con 2013 :TMNT Michelangelo

http://www.youtube.com/user/PuppetsonScraps
Michelangelo Cosplay:The Boston Ninja Turtle
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

What sort of areas are you looking for? Old buildings, swamps, playgrounds. If your looking for old buildings then maybe the old S. Bent Buildings off Route 68 in Garnder. Theres also some pond/swamps along Rt. 68. If your looking for a small stream theres a small steam the cuts through a lot of land across form my house and then runs behind my house near the DPW.

~2015 Convention Schedule~
Anime Boston, Boston MA
CTcon, Hartford CT
Another Anime Con, Manchester NH

Open for Commissions!!
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Kitsoru
Guilty Gear fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post
im actually looking for some spots in Worcester. Gardner area for a music video with my tmnt puppets...any suggestions?
Like I said, Moore State Park in Paxton (hell, even Rutland State Park) are really great for forest/fauna shots; The downtown area around Union station can be good for inner city shots (just don't stick around too late at night, haha), but... well, I don't know what sort of setting you're imagining for your video, so I can't say much else. What are you looking for?
Next Cons:
Youmacon '12
My Curecos
My ACP
My dA
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Aradiadiane
It sucks to be you

I'm going to be using the UMass Amherst apple orchards once they are in bloom. Apple blossoms look a lot like cherry blossoms if you're looking for a romantic sort of location.
Aradiadiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Yunaresuka
My Sushi Harakiri

I live in Hull and there is an abandoned military fort open to the public from dawn to dusk. As well, since it is a peninsula, you can shoot on the beach or on the bay. There's also a graveyard if that's your thing. In the summer it can be pretty busy on the beach, but in the winter, fall, and spring, no one is really there. The military fort is usually pretty empty though!
Yunaresuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
lyraparry11

I live in Braintree, but in the next town over, Weymouth, they have an abandoned military base that would be great for photos. Lots of buildings, roads of all kinds, trails, grassy areas, even landing fields. It's open to the public I believe. My dad actually taught me how to drive in there last summer. Which is another good use for that place, practicing driving.
Anime Boston attendee since 2009
lyraparry11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
cachalot
Blue Mage

The sakura are in bloom right now in Boston - all along Memorial Drive in the median around MIT (Hayden Library) are stands of beautiful sakura that would make for a great photo. MIT-ers are usually cool with people in weird costumes too, so you probably wouldn't be bothered.

At AB this year I directed some photographers to Copley Square in front of the two churches there. There's some great medieval-type backgrounds, or they'd be good for Harry Potter costumes. The courtyard inside the Boston Public Library is great as well for formal photos, and they have cafe tables that could make for a cute setting. I've also gotten photos inside the entrance of the library on the stairs where the John Singer Sargent paintings are. Library staff didn't seem to care, as long as we didn't bother anyone.

I've shot once or twice at the Christian Science church and courtyard with the fountains, but beware, security doesn't like you shooting there and will ask you to leave if they see you. The first time we got off with a warning, but the second time I was there with a photographer who had a second flash setup with an umbrella, and it looked too professional for their taste, so we were kicked out.

If you don't mind heading out of the city a little further there's some great "ruined urban" type backgrounds available just outside Alewife station, across the street by the parking ramp and the Minuteman bike trail.

Photography: http://www.seventhmoon.org/photography
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gerodere
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gertysk

Last edited by cachalot : 04-29-2011 at 12:33 PM.
cachalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
-Ringo-

The fountain and reflection pool near the Christian Science center also make for a nice picture. Also near there, down W.Newton st there are some nice gardens with flowers that are currently in bloom.
-Ringo- is offline   Reply With Quote