Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
FuzzyDrawings

Kingsguard WIP - Game of Thrones

Hello! I decided to make a Work in Progress thread to help keep me motivated. This is only my second cosplay-making experience, my first was an armored Night's Watch outfit, but that was mostly me modifying and aging premade parts, so THIS will be my first time making everything myself!

I'm an artist by trade, so I've been spending a lot of time trying to sketch out the armor to "understand it" - not just what pieces look like, but how they fit together and to the person wearing it (I'm much shorter than Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, so trying to make a 1:1 replica wouldn't work - gotta make it look good on me!). With that in mind, I'm using the below study I made to help figure out the appropriate sizes for the armor pieces.

Next, I started sketching out templates for the armor and all the crazy designs. Here's an example of what I'm working on tonight:

I'll be making the armor using sintra PVC sheets and bondo. Having never used either before, I decided it'd be best to do some test runs, especially when it comes to carving the designs. I decided to work on the greaves for this test, since being leg armor, they'll not only be closely observed less, but likely more damaged/worn out from walking, kicked up rocks, etc. They didn't come out too poorly.

One thing I've been scratching my head over is the painting process. I've looked at nearly every other Kingsguard and other faux metal/armor cosplay and while the craftsmanship is all wonderful, the paint job is almost always not quite what I'm looking for.

The kingsguard armor in particular is quite interesting - the wear and tear, texture, glossiness, and colors are quite responsive to the light - show the armor in the right light and it's quite gold and gleaming, yet if the person turns just right, the brownish/red hues of age and the texture of worn patina appears...Basically, I want my armor to look as convincing as possible, like was once beautiful armor that's been worn for generations.

I've spent the last week experimenting with different techniques, paints and materials. This has been my obsession, lol. I've still got more experimenting to do, but I think I'm getting close...

This is all the same test piece, just angled at the light differently. You can kind see how the gold "appears and disappears". The overall color is too dark, and the actual armor won't be this dramatically aged, but as a proof of concept, I think it's getting there.

Well, thats it for now. Hope you enjoy. If anyone has any tips on anything from paint to construction, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited by FuzzyDrawings : 02-25-2014 at 09:49 PM.
FuzzyDrawings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
karmakate

I'm definitely interested in following your process through this- I'll be tackling Kingsguard armor at some point in the near future for my girlfriend's Jaime Lannister cosplay, and so far your techniques definitely intrigue me.
karmakate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
FuzzyDrawings

Awesome! Well, I hope my blubbering about will be beneficial to you!

When my costume is complete, I'll be uploading high quality and better detailed templates for other cosplayers to use. The final outcome of the suit remains to be seen, but the templates will be as show-accurate as possible. I'm not worrying about the helmet for now, so I only have the template for the arm armor and scale armor left - last night I finished work on the chest plate template.

Unread 03-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
PungoPungo

Excellent work so far!!! Keep going !
I can recommend some pigments to you. Check out Jacquard's Pearl-Ex Pigments.
They come in every color and the luminescent quality is so beautiful. I use them for all sorts of applications. Mix them with different paint colors or mediums to get different effects. IE, I will mix the Brilliant Gold in with Black acrylic paint, in differing quantities. You can mix in a ton of it and you'll get a deep, antique sheen. Mix in a little, you get just a hint of shimmer that mostly looks black until you move the object.
It also layers well - make multiple thin coats to create authentic patinas.

Just don't breathe it in! lol it's really a very fine powder, and will blow everywhere. I use a plastic spoon to dish out a little at a time and then seal that sucker right up again.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ja...l-ex-pigments/

Also find them on eBay for el cheap.
PungoPungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
FuzzyDrawings

Alrighty - I worked myself silly tryig to get this fiished for Awesome-con, but a last minute realization that I did't have enough fasteners kept me from succeeding. That being said, I've got a big update for you all I'll try to keep things in a chronological order here...

Shoulders - I spent a lot of time studying the shoulder armor and seeing how others have made it in the past and I realized that the spaulders aren't simply a half-sphere cut in half - they're made from an off-center cut from a sphere (if that makes sense). Here's a little diagram I drew while figuring this part out.

I used the domed-top of plastic trashcans for the circular shape of the spaulders. I used bondo and repair putty to seal in the lid. It's sturdy and not going to go anywhere.

For the "fins", I used layers of sintra and bondo. Here, you can see how I attached them - I cut tabs into the fins, and using the heatgun, folded the tabs inside the trashcan lid and glued them in. A little bit of bondo here and there for extra strength.

Unread 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
FuzzyDrawings

Cuirass - here's a shot of me applying the ridges to the front plate. I'm just using 1/8" pieces of sintra and crazy glue - works really well. As you can see, the designs are finished being carved with an engraving tool.

Scales - Man, these were a nightmare. There were well over 800 scales that were cut, sanded, and molded BY HAND. I'm very grateful for the friends who helped me with this. Here's a few shots of scales on the bracers and parts of the scale "skirt".

The scales for the skirt were sewn to denim using jewelry bead wire, and then painted using a mix of gold, hammered copper, and brown textured spray paint. This was a quick job to try and get things done in time, but I'll be going back and touching them up by hand, perfecting the weathering and adding some additional color in (right now there's far too much gold and copper).

Here's a close up of some of the scales. As you can see, the leather/armor top part is rough - something I'll be cleaning up/perfecting.
Unread 04-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
FuzzyDrawings

Painting!

Like I mentioned before - everything was first covered in gold leaf foil. Then we took countless passes with different washes/glazes to give the armor more of a lived in feel. Aging was mostly done by covering the armor in a watered-down dark pigment, then taking a rag and blotting it away. The dark color will remain in the recessed areas, giving the armor a nice patina. You can do this in many layers with different colors for all sorts of cool effects.

Here's every thing that's been done so far:

And a close up of the shoulders - We realized we weren't going to have time to paint/carve all the detail for the shoulders, so we opted for just a simple paint job thrown on for now. You can see the shape of the fins here - I'm really pleased with that part.

And finally, here's a shot of the chest piece!

We're still not finished with painting - want a couple more layers for some more color depth (its lost in a still image, but the texture of the gold leaf underneath the glaze appears to shimmer/appear and disappear as you move in the light). We also need to go and an clean up the edges in the finer details, but for now, I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

Lastly, here's a quick shot of me trying the cuirass on - ignore my pajamas and disheveled look - at this point I had been up for three days straight trying to get this done for Awesome-con!

Last edited by FuzzyDrawings : 06-01-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Unread 04-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
poetictragedy

Wow, this is amazing! I bet the finished costume will look so cool~!
Ranmaru Kurosaki - Uta no Prince-sama [COMPLETE]
Cain - Starfighter [COMPLETE]
Tokiya Ichinose - Uta no Prince-Sama [COMPLETE]
Yato - Noragami [COMPLETE]

2015 COSPLAYS:
Lucina - Fire Emblem: Awakening

2014 CONVENTIONS:
Ohayocon, Shutocon, Colossalcon, Youmacon
poetictragedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
karmakate

Holy cow, this looks PHENOMENAL. Your progress is impressive- can't wait to see it with all the finishing touches!
Unread 06-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #10
FuzzyDrawings

The costume is finished!!! I'm just getting back home from a con, I'll post some more photos this evening. I'm also going to try and get my buddy who painted this (and fixed the few areas I tried to paint myself) to join this site - he really enjoyed it and is looking to do more!
Unread 06-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
FuzzyDrawings

i just got back from ConCarolina, debuting my Kingsguard outfit. It was a blast. The suit was well received - I was even asked to take part in a private photo session with George RR Martin himself!

The costume isn't 100% complete yet - the shoulders still need to be finished (my buddy handling the paint job just needs to add in some darker shadowy areas to help give definition to the design), and I want to do some minor tweaking here and there, but over all we're both really pleased with everything. It was incredibly light and comfortable to wear - think I wore it for over 15 hours straight.

Unread 06-02-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
karmakate

That looks absolutely AMAZING! I'm super jealous of your photo opportunity with GRRM by the way. Did you notice any areas that seemed more susceptible to damage or wear and tear when you wore it? I'm super excited to tackle this project, especially after seeing how incredible yours turned out.
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
FuzzyDrawings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakate View Post
That looks absolutely AMAZING! I'm super jealous of your photo opportunity with GRRM by the way.
Thank you - yeah, it was an awesome experience. GRRM was a wonderful guy and seemed jsut as excited to see his fans in costume as we were seeing him!

Quote:
Did you notice any areas that seemed more susceptible to damage or wear and tear when you wore it?
I had two misshaps:

1) A small chunk of one of the greaves broke off at the top - this happened during a photoshoot where I was asked to kneel on the sidewalk next to a "dying" Joffery. But it wasn't a big deal - just touched it up with some paint and now it looks like battle damage!

2) One of the hook/claps holding the cloak onto the breastplate snapped when someone stepped on the cape. The hook was made out of sintra, but I figured it might break, so when I made it, I took a piece of thin sheet metal and cut it into the shape of the hook and glued that to the bottom of the sintra piece. This gave it enough structural integrity so that even though the sintra snapped, it still remained in once piece. Just a little bit of fast drying super glue fixed the problem and I was back up and running in just a few minutes.
Unread 09-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
nayhru

You sir have given me the motivation to at least *try* to make this as my next cosplay! Wonderful job!
nayhru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #15
Ilovefandomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDrawings View Post
i just got back from ConCarolina, debuting my Kingsguard outfit. It was a blast. The suit was well received - I was even asked to take part in a private photo session with George RR Martin himself!

The costume isn't 100% complete yet - the shoulders still need to be finished (my buddy handling the paint job just needs to add in some darker shadowy areas to help give definition to the design), and I want to do some minor tweaking here and there, but over all we're both really pleased with everything. It was incredibly light and comfortable to wear - think I wore it for over 15 hours straight.

Wow ! Well done ! It's really a great job. That's unbelievable ! I love your geat work very very much ! I love cosplay and I love to go to Moviescostume.com to select my favorite cosplay costumes. Here is the link to Game of Thrones cosplay costumes: http://www.moviescostume.com/game-of-thrones. With these great costumes, I got a lot of compliments and had a great time in my cosplay performances.
Ilovefandomsky is offline   Reply With Quote