Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Konaruhi

Question Matching wig color to natural hair?

I bought a straight clip-in from Cosplay.com's Wig Store, and using the color guide I chose the butterscotch blonde color. I wanted it to match my own hair (which did look the same color as the picture) so I can just wear the clip-on as a super long ponytail. When I got the clip-on.....it looked like it was platinum blonde rather than the brown-ish blonde I was hoping for. (I can't re-send the clip-on because the return date has already passed.) Is there some way that I can almost match my wig to my natural hair color? I've already tried that color-spray stuff, and it rubbed right off. I was thinking about the Rite-dying it, but I've heard stories where wigs have actually melted using Rite-dye. I've already tried hand-coloring it with a brown marker, and it worked pretty well. The only problem is that the wig is so long and thick that it would take hours to color it noticeably darker. I need it for a con next week, so I need a fast plan.
Anyone got any ideas, tips, or suggestions?

(I've also already tried dying my hair to match the wig, but I ended up ruining my hair color and had to go get it fixed.)
Konaruhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Did you dye the clip-on or just the wig you were using it with?

If the clip-on is still unused, we can swap it out for a different color for you, just send me a PM.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Konaruhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
If the clip-on is still unused, we can swap it out for a different color for you, just send me a PM.
That. Would be. AWESOME. The only problem is that I did already use it for a photoshoot. And even if I didn't use it, I'd feel bad for returning for it has a few random brown stripes in it (from when I tried coloring it with a marker) and also has a few dark spots on it (from when I tried to color-spray it, and not all of it rubbed out)
You are extremely generous to allow me to swap wig colors, but I think it's in too bad of a condition to return. Thank you for the offer though!
Konaruhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

It's hard to match on screen as PC monitors varry way to much from brand to brand (which is why I like my MAC true colour monitor as an FYI lol)

Have you consider ordering a swatch ring to have in person to do a proper matching?
Butterscotch blonde is a natural golden blonde you might be in the brown range instead.
http://www.warpaintandunicorns.com/2...tches-and.html

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote