Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Exclamation Snacking Problem.

Hi, I've started my diet and I'm doing well so far. It's a low-carb diet, since I love food. Anyway, I've been eating really healthy and trying hard to stick to my diet. I have teeth for sugar, so I crave it a lot but I don't eat it.
What my problem is is snacking. Once I get home from school, I'm hungry and I "convince"myself to have a bag of almonds or an apple or something. Something small, but once I eat something I want more. I pop gum into my mouth just to have something to chew on. But how do I stop letting myself over eat snacks. I eat healthy as possible. I'm good with Breakfast and lunch, but when I get home, it's game over.

Unread 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
TiaLuna

Im the same way. best thing I can suggest is to keep a cup of water handy throughout your snacking hours. Another thing is to keep yourself preoccupied so that you wont have time to snack or snack because of boredom. ( something Im very familiar with doing...)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination.
TiaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Drazhar

Buy some stevia liquid sweetener, add that to ice water. YAY FLAVORS AND NO CALORIES!
Drazhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
kaligoddess
Frost Fanatic

Give it time. Your body will start to adjust to the way you are eating and you'll stop cravings things or wanting to eat so much. You may also need to eat more often (but smaller meals).

In the meantime, eat some protein and whole grains (yes, I know carbs, but you do need fiber). The combo will make you feel fuller and you will feel fuller longer. Try hummus, 1Tbsp natural pb, or 1oz low fat cheese with a few whole wheat crackers or a slice of whole wheat toast.
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
chupachan

It might help to make sure you're eating enough at meal times. Protein drinks/shakes can do wonders to satisfy you and keep your mind off food.
chupachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligoddess View Post
Give it time. Your body will start to adjust to the way you are eating and you'll stop cravings things or wanting to eat so much. You may also need to eat more often (but smaller meals).

In the meantime, eat some protein and whole grains (yes, I know carbs, but you do need fiber). The combo will make you feel fuller and you will feel fuller longer. Try hummus, 1Tbsp natural pb, or 1oz low fat cheese with a few whole wheat crackers or a slice of whole wheat toast.
This guy's answer...or eat fruits. They should do the trick. Just don't eat too much of it. Too much of anything can be bad for you.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazhar View Post
Buy some stevia liquid sweetener, add that to ice water. YAY FLAVORS AND NO CALORIES!
I wouldn't trust sweeteners at all.
They have chemicals in there that can harm your health.
Sweeteners with zero calories are substituted with something else
(sugarlose, aspartame, stevia, etc.).
There are still little known facts and research about this.
Some researchers even said it causes low blood pressure, increased
hunger, or even multiple types of cancer.
I personally don't believe it should be risked.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Somsai
Guyver 01

I found a good article that relates sweeteners to cancer.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=47816

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
Unread 09-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
Drazhar

So instead of looking up the specific sweetener, you go on a sweetener tirade? Well done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

All natural plant extract.

EDIT: while your article mentions it, it doesn't actually mention effects, nor parts per million, nor link to any credible tests or scientific paper releases. Until I see some, I'm good with this stuff as I'm guessing the needed concentration would well exceed what I use.

Further edit: the Japanese have been using it as a sweetener for over 20 years and haven't reported any side effects, I'm afraid that any tests involving rats will be quite different than what would happen in humans due to sheer body mass.

Last edited by Drazhar : 09-27-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
Drazhar

http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/stevi...al-8-14-08.pdf

Clinical study on toxicology of stevia, worth the read.
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
Arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazhar View Post
http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/stevi...al-8-14-08.pdf

Clinical study on toxicology of stevia, worth the read.
The majority of the effects were found in mice and rats, and the majority of the time, they don't necessary reflect the metabolic pathways humans do. This is similar to any testing done on lab rats, although they give a result within a shorter scale, it doesn't mean it can reflect the same way to humans due to scale, also, when they do these tests, the amounts are extreme amounts, amounts that humans don't usually consume on a daily basis.

They mentioned a study done in 2008 by Maki et al. that there were no adverse affects from consuming more than 1000mg/day of stevia, which is 6-7 times more than the average consumer and 2-4 times more than the average high-consumer (ie those that added stevia as part of their lifestyle).

What i'm saying is that artificial sweeteners will always be safe in its normal dosage. It's only dangerous when used in copious amounts, just like sugar... it'll just be as bad when consumed in large amounts.

Also, if you worry about a single chemical sweetener, you won't believe what other "chemicals" that you get exposed to on an everyday basis. Won't mention it here because it'll just scare everyone.

Last edited by Arti : 09-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Drazhar

I'm not worried in the slightest actually. Especially about stevia since it's been used for y'know... centuries at this point and nothing major reported.

I'll worry more about the stuff that's more likely to harm me.
Unread 09-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
ProjectAlice

You have to remember that everything is in the mind. Your brain controls your hunger. If you have problem with snacking I suggest a diet that had 5-7 small meals during the day instead of three big ones. That will help with snacking, as you're kinda snacking all day, but on healthy foods.
ProjectAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
heatherW

The problem with snacking is that it's actually very unhealthy to ignore it. My mother is a dietician's apprentice and has lost over 90 pounds in the last year and a bit.

But she also had a problem with snacking. One of the worst things you can do is ignore it, or eat something with sugar or salt, as these cause even more hunger and thirst.

What seems to work the best for me when I get problems is hearty foods that will hold you and won't cause excess stomach acid like many juices and greens do.

I usually make sweet potato fries, or mashed cauliflower, which tastes like mashed potatoes, but with very little fat and essentially no carbs. It also feels like having a huge part of a meal.

Also, if you don't like those things, look up some diabetic or vegan dessert recipes. There's tons of healthy options. One thing we keep in the house a lot is flourless, sugarless brownies. They taste identical to regular ones because we use tons of cocoa and drizzle them with high quality chocolate.

Anyways, best of luck my dear!
heatherW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
You Mirin
Order out of Chaos

An addictive personality is the real culprit. Address your psychological dependence on certain foodstuffs and everything should fall into place. Learn to discipline yourself and take responsibility for your actions. Sugar replacers and the like may or may not help, being that you can still overeat them.

Overall, low or moderate carb is a good plan. Calories in/Calories out should be your primary concern, irregardless. A good exercise plan never hurt anyone.
You Mirin is offline   Reply With Quote