Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
heatherW

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Mirin View Post
An addictive personality is the real culprit. Address your psychological dependence on certain foodstuffs and everything should fall into place. Learn to discipline yourself and take responsibility for your actions. Sugar replacers and the like may or may not help, being that you can still overeat them.

Overall, low or moderate carb is a good plan. Calories in/Calories out should be your primary concern, irregardless. A good exercise plan never hurt anyone.
I hate this mentality, it's not as simple as "it's in your mind". Every body has different needs, and that is expressed in different ways for each person. You shouldn't try to stop your hunger, you need to learn what your body is asking for. Also, it's exactly that mentality that causes so many eating disorders in young people. The idea that you are in control of your mind... but in reality you are just doing your body harm. There is a reason we get cravings.

The only time it's a mental issue is if you eat without feeling hungry.
heatherW is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
You Mirin
Order out of Chaos

I think you ought to reread my post. I'm not going to debate opinions that I don't have.
I will highlight and reiterate the key points for emphasis. You clearly misunderstood or misinterpreted the text. Here goes:
Quote:
Address your psychological dependence on certain foodstuffs and everything should fall into place.
Here, I didn't oppose snacking or eating. I simply suggested that 'certain foodstuffs' are most certainly the sources of empty calories, nutritional imbalances, and a psychological need to feed upon them. For example, I would replace certain foods for others, but I did not suggest she stop snacking. I would never have suggested such a thing. What is there to hate about my mentality, thus far?...
Quote:
Learn to discipline yourself and take responsibility for your actions. Sugar replacers and the like may or may not help, being that you can still overeat them.
This means: Learn to recognize healthier choices, and make them. For many people, this is a huge undertaking in rewiring the urges and habits which are eminating from...the mind. You guessed it. The mind. Every thought, action and deed, originates...one more time...the mind. No matter who you want to blame or defend, the body will only bring about the actions and effects which the mind dreams up.

So is it in your mind? Heck yes. It's in all of us to grab our worst habits by the horns and make them bow before us. Anyone who believes otherwise is lethargic at best, emotionally weak at worst. Without first thinking and believing, wanting and burning and working for change in self, nothing changes for the better.

Discipline is essential. Responsibility is essential. A desire to change something which is your's and within your power alone, requires both.

Not once did I suggest an extreme or dangerous act on one's self; However, you suggested that my mentality gives birth to eating disorders. Not true. My mentality gives way for hard work and results. Nothing you said was factual in any sense of the term.
You Mirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #18
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMai-chanxX View Post
Hi, I've started my diet and I'm doing well so far. It's a low-carb diet, since I love food. Anyway, I've been eating really healthy and trying hard to stick to my diet. I have teeth for sugar, so I crave it a lot but I don't eat it.
What my problem is is snacking. Once I get home from school, I'm hungry and I "convince"myself to have a bag of almonds or an apple or something. Something small, but once I eat something I want more. I pop gum into my mouth just to have something to chew on. But how do I stop letting myself over eat snacks. I eat healthy as possible. I'm good with Breakfast and lunch, but when I get home, it's game over.
You could have a snack when you get home of granola, yogurt and some frozen berries. This should tide you over until dinner and give you some good nutrients as well.

It's better to have multiple small meals then only a few large ones, so snacking isn't a bad thing.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
heatherW

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Mirin View Post
I think you ought to reread my post. I'm not going to debate opinions that I don't have.
I will highlight and reiterate the key points for emphasis. You clearly misunderstood or misinterpreted the text. Here goes:

Here, I didn't oppose snacking or eating. I simply suggested that 'certain foodstuffs' are most certainly the sources of empty calories, nutritional imbalances, and a psychological need to feed upon them. For example, I would replace certain foods for others, but I did not suggest she stop snacking. I would never have suggested such a thing. What is there to hate about my mentality, thus far?...

This means: Learn to recognize healthier choices, and make them. For many people, this is a huge undertaking in rewiring the urges and habits which are eminating from...the mind. You guessed it. The mind. Every thought, action and deed, originates...one more time...the mind. No matter who you want to blame or defend, the body will only bring about the actions and effects which the mind dreams up.

So is it in your mind? Heck yes. It's in all of us to grab our worst habits by the horns and make them bow before us. Anyone who believes otherwise is lethargic at best, emotionally weak at worst. Without first thinking and believing, wanting and burning and working for change in self, nothing changes for the better.

Discipline is essential. Responsibility is essential. A desire to change something which is your's and within your power alone, requires both.

Not once did I suggest an extreme or dangerous act on one's self; However, you suggested that my mentality gives birth to eating disorders. Not true. My mentality gives way for hard work and results. Nothing you said was factual in any sense of the term.
She clearly states in her original post that she eats as healthy as possible.

Also, it is a negative mentality. I've been working at a dietitian's center for 3 years.
heatherW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
shios
u wot m8

I had the same problem. Fun fact: protein stunts your appetite. I started having a protein shake for breakfast every morning and now I very rarely get the urge to snack.

Granted this might not work for everyone, but it's what helped me.
shios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #21
You Mirin
Order out of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherW View Post
She clearly states in her original post that she eats as healthy as possible.

Also, it is a negative mentality. I've been working at a dietitian's center for 3 years.
The first statement is a matter of relativity.
The second statement prompts me to confess that I am a certified personal trainer from an internationally accredited sports medicine academy.
You Mirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #22
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

I like to chew gum to curb snacking, sometimes I'm just craving something munch (I usually munch on chips or something similar).

If you need something actual to eat, I like to snack on carrots. But I'm weird and like raw carrots...

2012 Cosplays:
Bunny Asuka Langley - Sylvia Christel (No More Heroes 2) - Matryoshka Gumi - Kingdom Hearts I Yuffie - Asuka Plugsuit - Seras Victoria - Mami Tomoe - Anarchy Panty - Asuka Plugsuit (damaged)

Conventions I will be attending in 2012:
MomoCon 2012 - Anime Boston - C2E2 - Anime - St. Louis - Acen - Wizard World Chicago - Anime Southeast - Anime Weekend Atlanta - Youmacon
...and more pending!
Kikaisaigono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #23
chubbyasianlove
Dat'Charmander

For me, like the other person said "fruits" I eat a lot of watermelon as it's low calorie and is mainly made up of water; when I first started eating "clean" and exercising I would crave sugar/salt/starch like a beast! but I just stuck to it and found alternatives and that was fruits and its good to just grab a peeled orange and blend it in a little bit of water and ice to make it a smoothie and use stevia as sweetener which curbs appetite a bit too ^__^
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
improvised

Snack on things that are no cal or low cal. Herbal tea sweetened with Stevia, miso soup, a lettuce salad (just lettuce0, with a tiny bit of dressing to dip in on the side. Tomato soup with a water base is good too, season it with basil and a little salt and pepper. A 1/2 c. of cooked oatmeal with stevia and cinnamon works wonders on filling you up (cinnamon is also an appetite suppressant, but don't overdo it since, too much of it tastes blah).
Soooo, those may not sound too tasty, but I like them a lot, and they have helped with the snacking alot.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
improvised

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyasianlove View Post
For me, like the other person said "fruits" I eat a lot of watermelon as it's low calorie and is mainly made up of water; when I first started eating "clean" and exercising I would crave sugar/salt/starch like a beast! but I just stuck to it and found alternatives and that was fruits and its good to just grab a peeled orange and blend it in a little bit of water and ice to make it a smoothie and use stevia as sweetener which curbs appetite a bit too ^__^
I can't believe I forgot watermelon! Watermelon is Soooooooo yummy!
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #26
Overbeck
Grabbin' Pills

I like those small 100 calorie packs. They are a good low calorie snack. I also like apples, they seem to give me a energy boost, gala are my favorite. And drink lots of water, no sodas.
Overbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #27
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbeck View Post
I like those small 100 calorie packs. They are a good low calorie snack. I also like apples, they seem to give me a energy boost, gala are my favorite. And drink lots of water, no sodas.
Yes, apples and water are good! If you eat an apple and drink water before your actual meal (about 15 mins before) you won't be that hungry ^^
I also like milk, it has a similar effect as apples and mineral water, but much stronger. Also, if you're excercising a lot, it's good to eat bananas to prevent muscle cramps.
I'd also recommend to eat less meat (especially red meat) and more fish. Fish is super-healthy!

~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #28
kikamontanez

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMai-chanxX View Post
Hi, I've started my diet and I'm doing well so far. It's a low-carb diet, since I love food. Anyway, I've been eating really healthy and trying hard to stick to my diet. I have teeth for sugar, so I crave it a lot but I don't eat it.
What my problem is is snacking. Once I get home from school, I'm hungry and I "convince"myself to have a bag of almonds or an apple or something. Something small, but once I eat something I want more. I pop gum into my mouth just to have something to chew on. But how do I stop letting myself over eat snacks. I eat healthy as possible. I'm good with Breakfast and lunch, but when I get home, it's game over.
I'm the same way. When I get home from work at 4 pm, I'm starving and could probably eat an entire meal before dinner. What I learned is to eat something salty and then something sweet. Dessert has a purpose (it convinces your body that eating time is over) so eat something healthy and salty, and then something healthy and sweet. I prefer the miniature candy bars b/c in my opinion dessert should be anything but healthy so my brain is totally telling me "Okay, you had your chocolate now leave the kitchen". Popsicles are good too b/c they take time to eat and by the time your done your tired of eating.
It's something that works for me, but I'm not saying it'll work for you. Worth a shot, though. Good luck!
kikamontanez is offline   Reply With Quote