Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
matt25

Cosplaying as cloud strife

Well im cosplay playing as cloud strife from ff7 advent children.I have sword made and wig and everything just having trouble with what i should make costume out of.Not really the best sewer.I was thinking probably using pleather to make it not sure what else.Any idea on fabric i should use would be helpful.

Well here are two pictures of him and costume
http://thelifestream.net/wp-content/...-render-ac.png

http://www.joyfay.com/us/final-fanta...FQSEnQodzy0Axw

Thanks for all help
matt25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

If you wanna make it, (which I highly suggest) you will need:
-navy blue rib knit sweater (or fabric if you can find it and make one, if you want you can buy from me, just let me know, I have one..)
-black cotton fabric (classic bottom weight) for the sleeve and pants pockets
-duck cloth for the bag/side skirt thing, yes, it's a bag..
-big buckled and thick belting for the bag as well
-boots, zippers and vinyl (all for boots)
-leather bike gloves (most biker stores and leather stores sell them)
-TWO sets of ear rings (one set for the ears and one for the gloves)
-cargo pants (I used some from fred meyer that had one pocket on each leg)
-tiny ass belting and buckles for the straps on his pants
-Armor and sheath (I bought mine)

If you want more in depth you can PM me I can give you a full 100% run down on the cosplay, as I have one that is hella accurate..

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/368716/
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
matt25

Thanks for the help was really unsure how i could do this since still kind of new to cosplay and sewing.
matt25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea..This costume is pretty hard to do though..I learned the hard way..And if you want it to me supoer accurate, it will cost a lot..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
riddeltk
The Reaper Review

Pleather can be good for some things but with costumes like Cloud's I would suggest using some thing a little less shiny. His clothes tend to have more of a flat look. I would get light weight vinyl. Usually, it's with the upholstery material. It can be a little pricey but usually you can find a good remnant selection and get a really good deal. It's harder to sew than pleather. I would suggest using a leather needle on your sewing machine and heavy duty thread.

Here's a good pattern for pants if you decide to make them instead of buying them: 7918 Burda 7918 Mans suit. The guy looks pretty goofy but the pants really work well for all the versions of Cloud. For the Advent Children look I'd go with material for slacks or maybe a little thicker but his clothing seems to flow so nothing too heavy. As for the shirt you're going to have a hard time finding exactly what you need. JasonTerror has it probably as close as you're going to get it with out knitting it yourself. Another option...a really body boiling option is thick ribbed corduroy. You will have no air going to your body so you'll probably overheat but it does look nice. If you're still a little unsure of your sewing abilities I would say yes to buying gloves instead of making them. For all the zippers and random buckles that Final Fantasy loves go check out a leather store. They're usually pretty cheap and there will be a nice selection. Here's a good place to get all of that www.tandyleatherfactory.com

Sorry if this seems like too much info but having made a Cloud cosplay with my husband I know how challenging it can be with out any guidance.

DragonCon
Claves - Eternal Sonata
Aerith - Final Fantasy: Crisis Core
Rhyme - The World Ends With You
Megara - Disney's Hercules
riddeltk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddeltk View Post
Pleather can be good for some things but with costumes like Cloud's I would suggest using some thing a little less shiny. His clothes tend to have more of a flat look. I would get light weight vinyl. Usually, it's with the upholstery material. It can be a little pricey but usually you can find a good remnant selection and get a really good deal. It's harder to sew than pleather. I would suggest using a leather needle on your sewing machine and heavy duty thread.

Here's a good pattern for pants if you decide to make them instead of buying them: 7918 Burda 7918 Mans suit. The guy looks pretty goofy but the pants really work well for all the versions of Cloud. For the Advent Children look I'd go with material for slacks or maybe a little thicker but his clothing seems to flow so nothing too heavy. As for the shirt you're going to have a hard time finding exactly what you need. JasonTerror has it probably as close as you're going to get it with out knitting it yourself. Another option...a really body boiling option is thick ribbed corduroy. You will have no air going to your body so you'll probably overheat but it does look nice. If you're still a little unsure of your sewing abilities I would say yes to buying gloves instead of making them. For all the zippers and random buckles that Final Fantasy loves go check out a leather store. They're usually pretty cheap and there will be a nice selection. Here's a good place to get all of that www.tandyleatherfactory.com

Sorry if this seems like too much info but having made a Cloud cosplay with my husband I know how challenging it can be with out any guidance.
Sorry to sound like an ass, but leather/pleather/vinyl is not what you want to do. At all..The ONLY thing you should use that for is the boots and gloves. Nothing else on his outfit is leathery in any way. But you can buy gloves and boots much easier then making them..The only vinyl you should buy is to add the zippers to the boots like this:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3142272/

You can look through the costume page as well and see what kinda things are made of what.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)