Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Leviathan827

Troll makeup: Airbrushing?

I'm planning to cosplay as one of the trolls from Homestuck sometime next year, and I've done a lot of research on the makeup used to create the grey skin.
I have an airbrush kit (which I've never used before), and I've been told that it's the best way to apply troll makeup. But no-one has specified anything beyond that!
I've been told that I should use Ben Nye MagiColor and dilute it with LiquiSet. I know how to use the airbrush, and that I should use a stippling method when actually putting it on.
I'd love some tips from people with airbrush experience - people who've used it for troll makeup even better!
I'm not sure which shade I should use. Should I mix the white and the grey in a similar manner as you do with the cake-type makeup? How many coats should I do? Is it okay to airbrush over piercings (with the jewelery out, of course)?
Thank you!
Leviathan827 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Sweet Loretta

I teach airbrush body painting. I suggest you don't bother mixing your own go with something pre-mixed. Save yourself the trouble. Look at ready to spray makeups. Kryolan Airstream. Mehron LUC, European Body Art Vibe or Endura, Garftobian FX Aire, Wolfe FX E flow or Showoff's ProAIIR Hybrid.

Off the top of my head I know Graphtobian makes a grey and European Body Art makes an Endura grey in the NIX FX collection. Even if you mix your own grey with black, white maybe a bit of blue it will be easier to manage than having to figure out the makeup to mixing liquid ratio.

That said perhaps you have a Ben Nye source and they do make a Magic Color liquid grey start with a ratio of Final Set at abt 10% and 90% makeup. You may find you don't even need to thin the makeup out, but you most likely will.

Airbrush is applied in layers and covers best in 3 to 4 passes. As long as you do not have a new or somewhat fresh piercing you can airbrush over them and makeup does wash off your jewelry.

I don't understand your question about shading, maybe I do... I would use the airbrush makeup in lighter or darker colors to shade, again mixing two together with white or black or the grey to achieve the desired colors.

Get practicing. Learning to control your airbrush for proper shading and stippling is not as easy as you may think - but you'll get the hang of it through practice. In looking at the Trolls I am not sure what you would be stippling. Looks pretty straight forward as a base application.

Face and Body Artist
www.sweet-loretta.com

Face and Body Art Makeup & Supplies
The Painted Navel : Extreme Makeup FX
www.extrememakeupfx.com
Mort's Morgue & FX Emporium
http://mortsmorgue.com
Sweet Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote