Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 09-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
MasterJukeYGOJ
Nintendo's Number 1 Fan!

Painting your scalp?

Hi all! Been a while since i've made a costume and the first time i've posted on these forums. I do however have a question regarding paint.

I'm almost done with my Adult Avatar Aang costume. The last thing i need to do is decide what to use on my scalp and hands for his blue arrows.

I have somewhat sensitive skin and would like to know what would be a good product to use that i could safely paint on my scalp and hands.

I'd also like something that will be able to stay on my body for a good 12 hours and wont smudge off if it rubs some of the fabric, or smudge off if i get a little sweaty at the convention center.

Thank you!
MasterJukeYGOJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

uhhhhhh are u wearing a bald cap or having shaved hair?
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
MasterJukeYGOJ
Nintendo's Number 1 Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerd93 View Post
uhhhhhh are u wearing a bald cap or having shaved hair?
I shaved my head. So it will actually be on my scalp!
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Ah. Well there are two options I'd recommend pax (alcohol activated) or a hyrdacolor makeup (mehron or Ben nye or Wolfe fx) that u set w a finishing spray. Pax, or so I have heard, is great for staying on all day, but can b a pain to take off (which might hurt ur sensitive skin). The hyrdacolors won't stay on perfectly like pax but they come off really easily and with a finishing spray on it, it'll hold for awhile
Fem!Austrian War Succesion France (Hetalia/Nyotalia)- 10% done
Fem!Izaya (Drrr!)- 90% done
Magent!Teto (Vocaloid)- 95% done
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Falclon

I would recommend PAX if you want it to stay on for a long time. I used it for my Inga cosplay (see icon) and I didn't have any problems with it though my skin can be sensitive too. The only thing is it will get stuck if you put it over thicker hair, so make sure to freshly shave your hair before wearing it. I tried using Kryolan Aquacolor but even with tons of setting spray and setting powder it still would rub off. As for PAX it won't come off unless you really rub at it except for if it's on the bottoms of your fingers. People have worn PAX for several days at a time so you'll be good with 12 hours. ^.^

ALWAYS do a test patch with makeup first before applying it everywhere on your body though to check how your skin reacts.
Unread 09-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
tereshkova2001

PAX and alcohol-activated makeup are two different long-lasting methods.
Alcohol activated makeup, like Reel Creations Body Ink, uses ethanol instead of water as a solvent. It therefore won't dissolve in sweat or rain or a shower. It gives the effect of pigmented skin and is used in the movie industry to create tattoos and other special effects.
PAX is a homemade mixture of prosthetic adhesive (a latex-based glue) and acrylic paint. You can mix it any color you like, and it goes on as a thick layer of latex. It will need to be powdered so it doesn't stick to itself as you move. PAX is going to look less realistic as a tattoo effect than alcohol-based makeup will.
Your other option is waterbased makeup with fixative or sealant. That will not last as long as the alcohol stuff, but it will be much much cheaper.

I'm working on an Aang costume to go along with my Zuko, and we'll be using alcohol-based makeup for his arrows. Hope that helps!
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
MasterJukeYGOJ
Nintendo's Number 1 Fan!

Thanks for the help everyone! I really appreciate it. Im most likely going to go with the PAX or the Reel Creations body ink. They sound the most like what i need. Do you guys have reputable sites to purchase these from?

I do have one question about the PAX though. @tereshkova2001, what do you mean the PAX will have to be powdered? Im really a fish out of water with the whole body painting realm of cosplay.

If i try them out and they don't work for me i will end up trying the hydracolor makeup with a setting spray.

Thanks again guys!!
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterJukeYGOJ View Post
Thanks for the help everyone! I really appreciate it. Im most likely going to go with the PAX or the Reel Creations body ink. They sound the most like what i need. Do you guys have reputable sites to purchase these from?

I do have one question about the PAX though. @tereshkova2001, what do you mean the PAX will have to be powdered? Im really a fish out of water with the whole body painting realm of cosplay.

If i try them out and they don't work for me i will end up trying the hydracolor makeup with a setting spray.

Thanks again guys!!
By it being powdered, she means that once it dries there is still a slight stick to the paint (not very much) so you put any sort of setting powder or even baby powder over it. I use translucent setting powder and bought a large bottle thinking I would need a lot, but it barely takes any to cover all the paint. So basically you just mix the paint, put it on, wait a few minutes for it to dry, powder it, and you're done.
Unread 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
tereshkova2001

My source for alcohol-based makeup is www.ReelCreations.com. You'll probably want 4-8 oz total, depending on how often you expect to wear this costume, and to get the light blue for airbender arrows you'll need to mix white and blue.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
MasterJukeYGOJ
Nintendo's Number 1 Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tereshkova2001 View Post
My source for alcohol-based makeup is www.ReelCreations.com. You'll probably want 4-8 oz total, depending on how often you expect to wear this costume, and to get the light blue for airbender arrows you'll need to mix white and blue.
Thanks for all your help! I ended up going with the ReelCreations. They were very helpful and actually made a skyblue color for me! I applied some to my arm to test it out. It doesn't smudge and it's definitely water resistant! Thanks!

You have any tips for anything that i may need to know?