Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Unread 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Yotama
Sinister Sewer

Rosemon Helmet Questions

Just wondering how best to make this helmet. It's in the shape of a rose. I'm set on trying out Wonderflex as the base and possibly spray painting it, but wanted to see if there was any better way to go about it. I've seen one other cosplayer (possibly the only other cosplayer) make the helmet out of fabric but I didn't like how bulky it looked.

Here are two images. Example 2 is the coloring I'm going for.

Example 1
Example 2

Suggestions?
Yotama is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

to be honest, i would suggest a block of sandwiched blue foam, shaped and sanded to be tight to the head. It would overcome the size and flop problems of fabric, plus if you wanted to you could glue fabric to the blue foam to give the finish you want.

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Penlowe

Plastic, no matter how it's painted, always looks hard. The character has a soft flexible flower for a head, foam or fabric formed in different manner would be more texture-suitable.
Unread 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Yotama
Sinister Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentEvo View Post
to be honest, i would suggest a block of sandwiched blue foam, shaped and sanded to be tight to the head. It would overcome the size and flop problems of fabric, plus if you wanted to you could glue fabric to the blue foam to give the finish you want.
That sounds really interesting!!! Do you have any pictures or links? I'm having some trouble visualizing this.

And thank you, PenLowe!

I've seen users on YouTube sandwiching foam pieces between two sheets of WonderFlex and heating and shaping that way.
Unread 09-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Devkyu

I have two options that you could do. One is a block of insulation foam, and just carve/sand it to your desired shape. Once it's sealed, you can even put on a sort of velvet-finish paint to give it a softer look.

Another way to go about making the helmet is to use fun/craft foam sheets and use a hair dryer to mold them into the petal shapes. Just follow the plethora of funfoam armor tutorials.
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
ViolentEvo
ViolentEvolutionCreations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotama View Post
That sounds really interesting!!! Do you have any pictures or links? I'm having some trouble visualizing this.

And thank you, PenLowe!

I've seen users on YouTube sandwiching foam pieces between two sheets of WonderFlex and heating and shaping that way.
Just cut 1 inch blue foam sheet insulation *can get at loews or home depot* to the proper size, you will need enough pieces to make a square so it the right size in all dimensions *one sheet should be plenty* and use gorilla glue to glue them together so that you now have a block of blue foam. Use rasps, saws, knives, anything that will cut or drag pieces off of it, its very easy to get used to. once you have the approx. shape, start with course sand paper and work your way down until you have have a smooth finish. I suggest cutting out the head hole first, cut a little at a time and keep trying it on, because you are going to need it to be tight.

Facebook -www.facebook.com/violentevolutionfx
ViolentEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Yotama
Sinister Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devkyu View Post
Another way to go about making the helmet is to use fun/craft foam sheets and use a hair dryer to mold them into the petal shapes. Just follow the plethora of funfoam armor tutorials.
I think this is the route I'm going to go. I was looking at a whole bunch of tutorials the night I posted this and I think I'm going to get the right shape/lightness from this method.

Thank you everyone!!! I appreciate it so much!!!