Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
jessibren

how do i remove white letters from a shirt

Little help so i bought a police swat vest for a costume i'm working on but the only problem is i need the vest to be solid black. unfortunately this vest has a giant white SWAT logo on the back that i would like to remove or cover up that will still look good

i've tried ironing the shirt then trying to peel scrap the letter off but that isnt doing anything

this is the vest i bought: http://www.spirithalloween.com/produ...at-vest-adult/
jessibren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

You could try pulling the fabric along the bias to stretch it and see if it makes the letters crack enough to pick off. I highly doubt it'll work, though. And even if it does, it'll take forever to pick all that crap off.

(And hopefully the pulling doesn't damage the fabric, either. Those bagged costumes are usually made from really crappy material.)

You'll probably either have to paint over it or put an applique over it.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
AstraiaAndraste

Halloween costumes with print on them generally use either a cheap silk screening process or a sticker. From the picture I can't really tell what fabric the vest is made out of, but it's probably something highly synthetic. A method you could try is take a paper bag, and place it over the print and iron it. It should remove a large amount of the image. Then you can just do as mentioned above and paint over it.

Do keep in mind when ironing that you want to use as little heat as possible. Halloween quality costumes are infamous for being made out of lower quality material, and it could possible melt it. So just be careful!
AstraiaAndraste is offline   Reply With Quote