Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #16
coius

Yeah. The sewing machine is nice (it has been used on parachutes before (my dad used to skydive) and it can do thick fabrics). My dad seems to think there is also a bur or something. It breaks thread at random.

I will get a pic of the device that does the bobbin. but it is like the mechanism is either two far forward/reversed and it strikes the needle as it does it's magical thread-thingy (I have no idea how a sewing machine works).

The sewing machine sits on a base, and to thread the bobbin on the bottom, it requires you to tilt the top up to access the bottom part to install the part with the bobbin. It's hard to describe.

Either way, my dad looked at it, and it seems to have been in 1966. All steal parts. The sewing machine takes 2 hands to carry and is almost 30lbs to hoist. A real heavy one.

The manual shows some rather interesting stuff on how to adjust, and so it might be an adjustment. I will look and see if I can fix stuff. I normally am good with stuff, if I know how it's supposed to work.

I have been really busy with work lately, so the outfit will have to wait for a week or so. Today no mail came, so no buttons. Hopefully tomorrow is the charm?
coius is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Libis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coius View Post
Yeah. The sewing machine is nice (it has been used on parachutes before (my dad used to skydive) and it can do thick fabrics). My dad seems to think there is also a bur or something. It breaks thread at random.

I will get a pic of the device that does the bobbin. but it is like the mechanism is either two far forward/reversed and it strikes the needle as it does it's magical thread-thingy (I have no idea how a sewing machine works).

The sewing machine sits on a base, and to thread the bobbin on the bottom, it requires you to tilt the top up to access the bottom part to install the part with the bobbin. It's hard to describe.

Either way, my dad looked at it, and it seems to have been in 1966. All steal parts. The sewing machine takes 2 hands to carry and is almost 30lbs to hoist. A real heavy one.

The manual shows some rather interesting stuff on how to adjust, and so it might be an adjustment. I will look and see if I can fix stuff. I normally am good with stuff, if I know how it's supposed to work.

I have been really busy with work lately, so the outfit will have to wait for a week or so. Today no mail came, so no buttons. Hopefully tomorrow is the charm?
When you are trouble-shooting with the manual be sure to do everything involving movement of the needle very slowly. When I was working on a machine that was slightly messed up some time back I wound up with the tip of a needle in my chin. You don't want yourself or the machine broken. Basically, just use the hand wheel to test movement rather than the pedal and go slooow and don't force anything. All else fails, go to a retailer that fixes vintage machines and get some help.
Libis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Penlowe

Quote:
It breaks thread at random.
This is usually a tension issue. If thread has gotten knotted around the tension spring it can break the spring. That is not a repair I'd do myself, and I'm pretty handy. I second finding a shop to service it. $50-70 buck spent serving that one will give you a FAR better machine that the $125 walmart one.
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
coius

Outfit ready

I tried to post a reply, but it said I required mod approval. Outfit has been done, but went through strife a few weeks ago that cut short my ability to keep altering.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

Link takes to picasa image. sucky pic right now. Need new jeans. In 7 days I lost 20lbs due to a really stressful situation.
coius is offline   Reply With Quote