Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 10-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

What make-up to use for this?

So, I am gonna be cosplaying Xmas Sora here at the end of this month....
BUT..He has this darkness over his eyes that gradates as it gets lower on the face..I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to do that..I would really like to not go the "normal" route, where people make the whole area black. So Any ideas?

Also, What specifically should I use? I neard eye shadow works but I want more opinions and what a great brand would be? I have applied eye shadow before so I know the general application process, it's just the gradation part really..

Thank you

REF:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps03a4e6e5.png
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #2
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Maybe one of these may help since its the same as his Halloween makeup : http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=1459524
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrLkFS_c9U

Also since its Halloween time there a lot of that black eye makeup usually for something like a ghost or witch that you can spread on your forehead as well as around the eyes. You could use that if you don't want to go the route in the stuff above

What you do is start at the top with a decent amount of black makeup and spread it across your forehead,sides of eyes and around eyes. To get the smudge effect after doing the top part of the makeup get a makeup sponge and smear it down past the eyes.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)

Last edited by Rangiku12 : 10-02-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Black grease paint set with black matte eye shadow should work. Otherwise you can use a creme or gel eye liner as a base instead. A regular triangle makeup sponge should work, as Rangiku12 mentioned. You just use a clean side to smudge/blend the makeup down your face. I would also recommend a flat, synthetic brush to apply the product around the eyes, something like this. A paintbrush would also work, as long as the handle is short.
Further hints: Wet n Wild sells a black creme liner for $3.99 and matte black eye shadow for $1.99. Good luck!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

Since its not straight black I'd just use eyeshadow
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I am gonna do what the people in the video that Rangiku posted. That looks like it will work. I will also look at the wet N wild stuff mentioned by PSY. I use to use their eyeliner back in high school when I did the whole "dark trend" thing..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Aria Overload
Aria

As for dark make-up around the eyes, I would suggest a varied route on which you wanted to take/ how much you were willing to spend.

It looks to me like the reference picture you're using isn't actually make-up but rather a shadow created by the hat/hair itself. However, when i do make-up for female costumes its best to properly layer yourself before applying the actual color. This is to make sure it doesn't rub off or flake off, then you end up with fall-out all over the rest of your face.

Most of my products I use are either MAC, or name brand, remember that the more expensive make-up you buy the better quality it produces.
There are also creams and other regiments which make a color more prominent.
These are called primers. It's a cream that goes overtop of the eye mostly, but help to prevent creasing and flaking when wearing ti for long periods of time.

As for applying the dark areas yourself: Perhaps try a black or a dark grey eyeshadow, you wont find other colors unless you're using a liquid makeup. If you choose to go this route remember that a little liquid goes a LONG way. and to prevent smearing and smudging of liquid make-ups (especially when most cons are during the heated seasons!) you will need to go over the make-up with a finishing powder, and then perhaps a seal. The powder will prevent smudging or smearing, while the seal will prevent rubbing off onto your wig/costume.

Hope this help! Anything else just inbox me.
Aria Overload is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Aria, Thank you for all that information.

I actually found some good stuff..I bought some (or rather, my dad's gf did) some eyeliner that I know I needed (they were out of wet N wild..I know GASP..So I got NYC. I like that stuff too..Then we got this Compact..Is that what they are called? My ex use to call it that..Anyway, It has all dark colors (black, greys, purple dark blue blah blah) and 2 brushes. I used the darkest grey (right before the black) and it looked just fine. It takes like 10 min to apply everything, but Now that I know this I can figure out when to start before heading out lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Oh, and Aria, It's not a shadow. The halloween town also has it. it give him the "nightmare before christmas" feel while in that world
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)