Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Many questions for XMas sora (KH2:FM+)

Helo again, So I was wondering if anyone could help me here..
I want to MAKE a Christmas Town Sora cosplay..100% myself. Problem is, there are things I need help with..
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ps03a4e6e5.png

1. The top. I do not know what to make it OUT OF..Like, fabric wise..What would you suggest? I know the fur part but the black I hae no idea..I want it like Santa-hat material..But I don't even know what that is..You know..Fuzzy-ness..If that a felt or something? I was never sure..But I also will not be wearing a shirt underneath and do not know how to stop the itchiness that I get from the back of felt..So if there's another material that doesn't have the backing like a Santa hat has, I would love to know. Oh, also....A pattern..Will a Santa costume pattern work just fine?Or just elongation a t-shirt pattern? I don't believe it has closure on the front. Like it's a pull over. Also, there's this little part turtleneck thing..Look at this cosplayer:
http://louiselillyeriksen.blogspot.c...ember-9th.html
Notice how you can't see the skin on his collorbone area or neck..I need to do this..What would me good to make this out of? I'm thinking it's more form fitting and has a stretch to it..But I'm not sure it's a stretch pleather or even a spandex..So any ideas there?

2. The hat itself..Felt? Just a guess..Also, the hat is suppose to be pretty stiff..I was gonna use wire in it where I can form it how I want, but I can't find wire by the yard or anything..All I can find are like per-spooled wire that's like 30 bucks and I can't use that much when I only need about a yard and a half..

3. The 3 crowns on running along the front of his top..What's a good way to keep them attached? I am planning on using something like cerial box cardboard glued a few layers deep and painted silver..I have these pin-backs that are used when you make a pin and glue then to the back of whatever but they like to fall off so Anything better?

I believe this is all..I can get a glove pattern and make them myself and I can cover shoes and do the odd socks. So any help would be amazing and I know you all know your stuff and I can't wait to start this!!
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Kaniki

Personally I wouldn't make it out of Felt. I would probably use fleece if you're going for the warm and fuzzy look and don't want the itchyness. It's thick, won't itch, a bit fuzzy and nice and worm. I'm pretty sure if you take a picture and its all felt, you're going to have too much of a shine to it.

Or you could always make it out of a normal cotton, like Symphony Cotton would work well. (I work at JoAnns and I'm constantly putting fabric away or investigating it haha!)

I typically draft my own patters, or just eye things when I make costumes because I'm like that. I have a ridiculous amount of patters but I don't use any of them, go figure. So I can't really help you on that one.

If you want to use wire for the inside of the hat, instead of having to buy it (which at my JoAnn's you can buy it in the home dec section by the yard) you could always use a wire hanger like from a dry cleaner and just unravel it to put on the inside.

For the crowns, I would probably make it out of those sheets of fun foam (is that what it's called? xD They're like sheets of foam that are cheap... you know what I mean hopefully haha). I would use two layers of those for the crowns, put a safety pin through one, then attach the second layer over it so it's thicker and wouldn't move and you wouldn't be able to see the safety pin. My sister whos more of a prop maker and loves her cardboard (XD) was against the idea at first but she sides with me on it as well. It's easiest to keep it attached.

Hopefully this helped!
Unread 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Thank you for the response ^_^
That's what I meant..I know, I said felt but I also have no idea what I'm really talking about so..lol Thank you for that. I didn't mean felt for ANY of it I meant fleece for everything....I feel dumb..

Yea For when I said a long shirt pattern, I was meaning just using a shirt I have, taking the seams apart (an old shirt of course) and following the basic shapes..

Oh..Joann's sells wire? I had no idea....XP thanks for that tip I will have to go look lol

Well I was thinking foam, But it's too floppy..If I could harden it without the use of resin I would do that..But I can't..The cardboard would be to it doesn't bend on me..I have woog glue that I use on cardboard that makes it where you can throw in against a wall and it wont indent the points..But I will try that too because that's WAY cheap in price..And if it don't work the way I want it's not a lot of money..

Thank you for the help
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I made that costume a couple years back for a friend and here's what I did for it.

The black was all made of a nice polyester/cotton blend so that it draped decently. I used a tunic style top pattern for the top and just an elastic waistband pair of shorts with elastic in the hems. All the fur was sewn into tubes and then hand stitched on. The hat was made from a Santa hat pattern, which is so simple and straight forward it's kinda sad. Again the fur was done like the shirt. I sewed the fur to the gloves and then the underneath was just a black turtleneck shirt that was sort of like underarmor. I also made the shoes out of a pair of house slippers with blocks of foam shaped into the points and then covered them with the fabric (that was NOT fun).

For the little crowns down the front, I shaped them out of Sculpy silver clay, baked them, and then put several coats of high gloss sealant on them. After that dried, I used the pin backs that are a long bar (so they wouldn't twist around) and gorilla glued them on.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I made that costume a couple years back for a friend and here's what I did for it.

The black was all made of a nice polyester/cotton blend so that it draped decently. I used a tunic style top pattern for the top and just an elastic waistband pair of shorts with elastic in the hems. All the fur was sewn into tubes and then hand stitched on. The hat was made from a Santa hat pattern, which is so simple and straight forward it's kinda sad. Again the fur was done like the shirt. I sewed the fur to the gloves and then the underneath was just a black turtleneck shirt that was sort of like underarmor. I also made the shoes out of a pair of house slippers with blocks of foam shaped into the points and then covered them with the fabric (that was NOT fun).

For the little crowns down the front, I shaped them out of Sculpy silver clay, baked them, and then put several coats of high gloss sealant on them. After that dried, I used the pin backs that are a long bar (so they wouldn't twist around) and gorilla glued them on.
Thanks for that info.
Though the top I want to be more fuzzy rather then a poly/cotton blend. So I think I will stick with the fleece.

Thanks for the info on the fur though. I was thinking of how to do that..I still need a little help there that I didn't realize..How am I suppose to sew it on? Like I understand the tube thing but I don't know where to sew..

The shoes I am gonna build around some black converse I have and I am gonna use the foam method. It's the method my commissioner used on my normal style Sora Shoes.

The sculpy may be a good idea, I just didn't know how heavy they would be..Plus I need to buy more so that's more money I have to spend..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 09-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For sewing down the fur, I would just position it where I wanted it and then run a hand stitch around the top, sort of a whipstitch, and then again at the bottom, securing it so that it didn't pull down but also wouldn't show the black edge at the very bottom.

As for the Sculpy, they really weren't all that heavy because I did the pins only about a 1/4" thick. And if you are using fleece, it's a heavier fabric than what I used, so it should stand up to the weight even better.
Unread 09-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ah ok that works then. I can do that easily. I'm not working on this til my next con is over (end of Oct.) Cuz I need that money for the hotel and foddness, But I want to wear it on XMas around the house and stuff haha So I gotta get it done in like a month and a half lol
So for the fur, do I just use white thread then?

Ok, that seems like it should be fine then..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Yeah, just use white thread and when you stitch it down, just catch a small section of the black so you don't have a lot of white threads showing underneath.
Unread 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Yea that was my plan..I Know that if I go all thaw like normal hand sewing, it will catch the hairs and push them down and I totally don't want that lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
Also, there's this little part turtleneck thing..Look at this cosplayer:
http://louiselillyeriksen.blogspot.c...ember-9th.html
Notice how you can't see the skin on his collorbone area or neck..I need to do this..What would be good to make this out of? I'm thinking it's more form fitting and has a stretch to it..But I'm not sure it's a stretch pleather or even a spandex..So any ideas there?
I forgot about this part already....lol Good goin huh..
Anyway, any ideas for this? Or even a fabric? It is not the same as the top itself..So It won't be a Fleece, but I have no idea.. Also, I'd like it to be thin to let air in, ya know..Can't die lol

Oh, also, with he hat....Should I just sew it to the wig? I'm not gonna style the hair underneath the hat..Kinda don't care..So, if sewing, What's a good idea? Sewing kinda like the was I'd do the fur in the first place? or what? Thanks
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

For the top underneath, I would do a full shirt with a mock turtleneck. Use some sort of stretch fabric like an interlock or something so you don't have to worry about closures.

For the hat, you don't have to sew it to the wig, but if you want to, just whip stitching it through the seams of the wefts should hold it in place. I wouldn't do it all the way around or you risk losing a bit of stretch in your wig, and that can cause trouble when trying to put it on.
Unread 09-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

For the top things, I was thinking of making it attach to the other top before sewing the fur on..I have an Idea of how to make it (just cut up turtleneck pattern....). I just really needed a fabric name or something..I don't want to wear any shirt underneath the top itself becauseI get hot fast and it will help if I can just make it a "mock shirt" or something..

As for the hat, thank you, I will do that then. Yea I wasn't gonna sew all the way, just the top part, like most the front, to the crown, and slightly in the wefting at that back (like 4 of them) then let the rest hang. thank you for the info. Also, I am making some crowns out of craft foam just to see what they will be like. If I don't like them I will use clay, but I am basically out of clay and that plays a big part in not making it that way lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Ok, I feel super SUPER dumb....I thought I would be able to do the pants....But alas..Of course I don't....I want to end up putting this in a contest as well as try to do it 100% myself..So the pants do that huge poof thing..Obviously like all his other clothes..So I know I can't use a normal pair of pants or even shorts because they won't poof as much unledd they are uncomfortably huge..I was thinking of using a sweatpants pattern and making the leg parts really wide..Is this something other people do?
As an example (and I don'r know WHAT the pattern looks like but this is just out of my brain) doing something like this but to each panel (both front and both back panels):
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...2006/pants.jpg
The blue is the modifying and black is the regular pattern.

Just wanna know if something like this actually WORKS?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #14
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Sorry to post in like all your threads XD but I just wanted to suggest...you don't have to use my idea but MC hammer pants! My great aunt has a pattern for them and made some Aladdin pants with it. It's what I'm using for one of my sora's. They also called Harlem pants or parachute. I can search for one if you like.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

First, I don't mind. You are helping and nice so I can't say it's a bad thing..Post away lol
Anyway, I do know that pattern, nut I don't like it for this cosplay..They are made to be baggy like that at the ankles meaning I would still have to alter them, but I wouldn't know how on those..If they made that style but shorts, I would go for it..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)