Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

What to do? :L

So I haven't come on for a while now, but that's because I might leave this site. T-T I don't feel like I belong here. I came very close to convincing my mother to let me cosplay (I even bought a sewing machine with my own money) and at the last minute she says "this isn't going to be ongoing/you'll get distracted from school/ you'll get lost in fantasyland)

So I've mostly given up hope now. Pfft, I don't even know who I was kidding. Of course she'd be too closeminded. So I think is the final thing I ask of all of you:

What to do while I wait to cosplay another day? D:

Unread 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
sam vimes
A real live wire

Would your mother be opposed to going to a con with herself as a chaperone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...

Last edited by sam vimes : 10-03-2012 at 09:31 PM.
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Would your mother be opposed to going to a con with you as a chaperone?
She thinks cons are crawling with pedophiles, child molestors, and weird old men hiding behind costumes, so yes. She probably wouldn't even come a few feet within a con.
Unread 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

Well, you can either A) Do it in secret and risk wrath and loss of trust from your mother, should you be found out; or B) Be mature about it, put it aside save for appropriate times of the year, and wait until you're on your own, giving you the ability to have a bit more freedom for what you want to do.

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
zeldawulffie205
aknijig reyalpsoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Well, you can either A) Do it in secret and risk wrath and loss of trust from your mother, should you be found out; or B) Be mature about it, put it aside save for appropriate times of the year, and wait until you're on your own, giving you the ability to have a bit more freedom for what you want to do.
It's probably gonna be B, sadly. Which sucks because I'm sooo bored nowdays and I have no other hobbies. I just stay on the computer and fool around with my dog all day.
Unread 10-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
C. Marie

While you wait, would she be opposed to you making some regular clothes? It would be good practice for when you are able to make your cosplay.

Future -
Star Trek Deep Space Nine - Jadzia Dax
C. Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Marie View Post
While you wait, would she be opposed to you making some regular clothes? It would be good practice for when you are able to make your cosplay.
This. You could also maybe take classes at local craft stores for things such as sewing, airbrushing or jewelry making. That could be fun, you could meet new people and it might come in handy in the future when you finally get around to cosplaying!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Why not wait until you're older and have moved out? Cosplay and conventions aren't going anywhere. Start practicing sewing hone your skills, then once you do start cosplaying, you'll have some experience in sewing and making things.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Ends Beginning
Onward Comrades!

I agree with the working on normal/other clothes while you wait. That way you can show your mother that you can do the sewing and focus on school work as well. Keep your grades up and improve your skills all while showing your momther how mature you really are. That way maybe she'll allow the cosplaying and convention going sooner. ^-^

2014 Convention Schedule-
ConnectiCon -Hartford CT July 11-13
Another Anime Con - Manchester NH October 17-19

~Cosplay 2014 Progress~
Sinon (SAO:GGO) 30% done (Prop Hecate II and Wig finished)
Ends Beginning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
natsuo
Wonderflexing

And make sure once you move out and can do what you want that you don't date/marry someone who doesn't like you cosplaying either! :/

Like me on facebook!
www.facebook.com/natsuocosplay

Check me out on worldcosplay!
http://worldcosplay.net/member/51186/

Matsuricon 2013 costume plans:
Rika - Digimon Tamers
Blackrose - .hack
Popola - Nier

Ohayocon 2014 costume plans:
Mary - .hack//Quantum
Sasha - Attack on Titan
Kaine - Nier
natsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Taking classes, if it's something reasonable for you to afford, would be a nice start. You could also look up video tutorials online for simple things that don't even have to be clothes.

Here's a page of beginners sewing projects you may be interested in going through and perhaps make something special for your mother as well.

Example:

Scented fluff pockets! Super simple to make, fill it with Potpouri leafs and make your room smell awesome.

You can put some time into learning simple crafts, keep yourself occupied,perhaps impress mother dearest with your budding talents, and when the time comes you are old enough to handle convention business on your own you'll have craft experience behind you and your mother will know you respected her wishes in you not participating in something she views as dangerous.

You may also consider this, gather a group of friends up who would like to go to the convention as well and see if one of their parents would be willing to chaperon for a day. You still may not be allowed to cosplay, but if there's a group of you with an adult around your mother may feel more comfortable with this.

But you cannot push the issue. Being whiny, bratty, or otherwise throwing tantrums will not improve your situation. Your mother isn't suddenly going to have a change of heart if you cry and whine. If you are going to be unable to go to a convention, that's the end of the matter and you need to try and accept that responsibly.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Tenjo Zakito
Fujoshi+Otaku

Hmm... Whenever I see people who get opposed by their parents about cosplaying, I always only have one suggestion:
Let her trust you, believe in you. Make her feel secure about the fact cosplaying would not affect your studies and that it's a healthy hobby.
The way to do it is easier said than done though, you have you prove to her, start becoming a better child, one that she would be proud of and feel happy to have,
Which is extremely hard to do.

You could also just leave it aside for a moment, maybe pick up simple sewing skills in the mean time, and when you get older and more independent, then go for cosplaying.
Tenjo Zakito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

Keep in mind that you can cosplay at places besides conventions. Since she's really opposed to conventions, maybe arrange a cosplay picnic that she can come to? She'd probably feel much more comfortable there since it's more "normal."

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Also, prove your mother wrong. In your first post you said that she said ""this isn't going to be ongoing/you'll get distracted from school/ you'll get lost in fantasyland". Prove her wrong on that. Keep your grades up, pursue other interests, expand your horizons.
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Standard advice is get good grades, do your chores, and play nice with your siblings. I do suggest getting involved with your school's theater department or community theater. That way you can assist with costumes in a school/community sanctioned enviornment that also looks good on a college application.

Another idea is to join or start a Anime/cosplay/World cultures club at your school/library/community center. It shows commitment and responsibility to go through the proper channels to start a club, then plan a trip to a nearby con not to mention fundraising for the trip.

The cons will still be there when you are older and have your own home and income.