Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 10-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
usagi_chokoreto

Wings for your head

So I plan to make a winged elf (completely original idea) and I'm working out the various ways to do all my wings. I know I want large wings on my back which I plan to do using PVC and a corset to help with the harness. Now the tricky part is I want to be able to have elaborate wings that are pretty long (not so much thick) coming from my head and I'm not sure how to go about attaching those. I will be wearing a wig if that helps.
usagi_chokoreto is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
heatherW

Using a good base on the wings from either craft foam or stiff fabric would work, then using fabric studs and studding them in place on the wig. I did this for heavy horns and it worked great. The only thing is that your wig must be fairly thick/fit your head well. if the wig's too big the wings will sag. But if you stud it multiple times and have a good base it shouldn't matter too much.
The studs I used were jean studs, you can get kits at sewing/craft stores. They aren't permanent, and can be removed from you wig with strong pliers, so if you ever need that wig for something else, it's safe!

The second option that my friend did for her soraka unicorn horn was buy a sturdy headband, and put snaps on it, and the horn. Then she'd put the wig on over the headband, and snap the horn in place by moving the wefts around it.

You can also create braid buns and glue the wings over it, although I don't think you should, as it's going to damage the wig.

good luck dear!
heatherW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
usagi_chokoreto

Thank you so much. I think I really like the headband idea. I'm going to try and work with that after I find the best material to make winged ears with. I'm pretty sure whatever I am going to use needs to be semi flexible and will be covered in feathers. That was they look, well as really as wings on a human's head can get.
usagi_chokoreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
char99char
Crazy for costumes

For my Morrigan:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2801864/

I have a piece of heavy gauge wire formed as a headband and a second piece that extends from the "horn" on the bat wing inside to the headband with several inches of overlap. The wires are wrapped together inside with some duct tape then I stitched it all by hand to the wig mesh. I can send a pic if you like.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote