Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
tinyartist18

Batgirl Armor

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to make a version of the new 52 Batgirl.

I have a design for the armor and I'm fitting it right now. I'm looking for a few tips or insights.
1. Does anyone have a specific way that they would attack making this cosplay?
2. Does anyone know where to get very large strips of craft foam?
3. Is there any way to make craft foam easy to move in? On that note - is there any way to make craft foam pauldrons like those that are shown there?

I have the basic bodice for the armor built. It looks a bit stocky, in my opinion, and doesn't contour my body well.

For the cowl, I intend on making my own latex cowl. Suggestions on where to get plaster strips/plaster of paris would be great. Thanks!
tinyartist18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Penlowe

Hmmm.... Nice choice. While I do agree that craft foam armor can look really amazing (google the LoTR High Elf Armor tute for details) I think in this case I agree, it'll add bulk.

First, I'd wear two layers, a body shaper then the catsuit (actually, I'm way to pudgy to consider this, but if it was me with my 23 year old body, that's what I'd do).
Second, I'd use a technique called Trapunto and actually quilt the catsuit to get the armored effect. You could paint the armor sections with a slick fabric paint after quilting to really finish it nicely. Major advantage to this is it remains fully flexible.

Trapunto is stupid easy, but time consuming.
You sew two layers of fabric together in the shape you want (in this case, anything that stretches in the same directions as your cat suit- you could use an old tee shirt and trim away the unwanted bits).
You very carefully put a hole in the center of the back layer.
You stuff the pocket you've created with as much or as little polyfil as you desire.
Sew up the hole.

I've done Trapunto where most of my pockets were under 1" square, some as small as 1/2" around.
This has nice pictures, but the stitches are huge, I machine sew the sections for strength. : http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...uilting_1.html
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
tinyartist18

You're incredible! Thank you - that sounds like a solid plan.
tinyartist18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
chimchim

I had an idea for this but i wouldnt know how id turn out since i never tried it but i was thinking of a base suit and then constuction the armored plates out of craft foam and covered in hard material such a vinyl and then sewing it on to the base suit.. its an idea

There are people that sculpt the pieces of the suit piecese,mold them and cast the pieces out of urathane rubber if your looking for a professional aproach
chimchim is offline   Reply With Quote